SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driverless Cars expected to be available soon
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driverless Cars expected to be available soon Login/Join 
Picture of chp37
posted
http://markets.businessinsider...n-2017-10-1002917595

While I believe this technology may be very useful to the elderly, maybe vision impaired and others with a handicap, what will prevent ISIS from turning these into car bombs?
Will drunks buy them to get home from bars? Is that good or bad?
What liability issues may arise if an owner is present but not in control of the vehicle involved in an accident?
Should we be concerned about technology getting too far ahead of the practical considerations. I don't want to trust that Congress will address these issues in due course.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a useless technology

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Why would this be any different than an Airplane with auto-pilot. Ultimately, in my mind, the human will be responsible for the operation of the vehicle.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
"a useless technology"

Care to buy a Buggy Whip?

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
"a useless technology"

Why would anybody ever want a computer in their house?

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chp37:
While I believe this technology may be very useful to the elderly, maybe vision impaired and others with a handicap, what will prevent ISIS from turning these into car bombs?

Nothing.
quote:
Will drunks buy them to get home from bars? Is that good or bad?

Maybe, if their judgement is intact enough to allow it to do it's job. If so, AND if the technology works, then it would probably be a good thing. If not then it's no different than the current situation.
quote:
What liability issues may arise if an owner is present but not in control of the vehicle involved in an accident?

IANAL, but I would assume that whoever is in the car and nearest to the controls, owner or not, would bear the responsibility for an accident.
quote:
Should we be concerned about technology getting too far ahead of the practical considerations. I don't want to trust that Congress will address these issues in due course.

Yes, we should be concerned. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do it. And congress can't legislate judgement.

Not a useless technology perhaps, but my gut says it has quite a way to go before it will be ready for general use. The difference between this and an airplane with an autopilot is that the airplane generally has an external entity (ATC) keeping watch over it AND at least one fully qualified pilot babysitting it. If the pilot is surfing on his/her smartphone, ATC can at least grab his attention if need be. Yes, that does presume that ATC's equipment is working properly and is manned by operators who are paying attention. In the end, it still comes down to people.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is there going to be something that indicates an autonomously driven car?

I would like to give these cars extra room.

I have no doubt that these will be the cause of countless accidents until HW / SW get their collective shit together. I have a complete absence of faith and trust in the due diligence necessary based on every HW / SW based device I've owned over the past 30 years, and increasingly so.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
Why would this be any different than an Airplane with auto-pilot. Ultimately, in my mind, the human will be responsible for the operation of the vehicle.

Seriously?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Once they get here, they will take over fast! They will also completely change car ownership.

That’s why the car companies are going to start their own version of Uber; they know car ownership will drop and they need to add a revenue stream.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

You mean other than the fact that airplanes generally have thousands of feet of space between each other, and the fact that they have air traffic controllers watching them and telling them where to go.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Also, the leGalities are being worked out now.

The car has to choose between a head on collision or hitting a pedestrian...they have to program this stuff in. Can you sue the manufacturer for the programming? Should the manufacturers be protected if they follow some yet to be determined National programming standard?

This is a major issue that the industry has been working on.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
These will be on the road for about 30 seconds. Then someone will die and thats all she wrote. Lots of shit can go wrong with radar sensors, and thanks to RoHS PCBs are all on borrowed time until a tin whisker causes a short.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
These will be on the road for about 30 seconds. Then someone will die and thats all she wrote. Lots of shit can go wrong with radar sensors, and thanks to RoHS PCBs are all on borrowed time until a tin whisker causes a short.

I have a 7 year old. Autonomous driving vehicles will be the norm before she gets her license.

Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
I agree. The 19th century saw trolley and trams; the 20th subways and commuter trains- all for mass transit. I believe we will soon see a similar shift to individual transit. The question, as always before, is how to integrate the new with the old methods. Maybe autonomous cars will need to be separated from driver operated vehicles at least in the beginning years.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Once they get here, they will take over fast! They will also completely change car ownership.

That’s why the car companies are going to start their own version of Uber; they know car ownership will drop and they need to add a revenue stream.

I will never own a "driverless car." No way never.

Just more control over our lives. Jesus.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

I have a 7 year old. Autonomous driving vehicles will be the norm before she gets her license.

Ill bet you a dollar. Should be worth about two bits by then.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How many companies pay humans to drive vehicles? They're going to move to antonymous vehicles (and not I didn't say "cars", as soon as those vehicles are practical.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Can't wait...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What fun is that? Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I live in Silicon Valley, name brand companies all around me are working on this technology.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post