SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ball Joint Tool
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball Joint Tool Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
Will be replacing the lower control arm ball joints on my 2005 Ford Ranger rear wheel drive. Been searching for a ball joint tool that will get me through this task. Any recommendations for a ball joint tool ? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had luck using harbor freight for this. Used my ball joint tool on several vehicles now.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is anything about the Ranger that would make it especially difficult, but the parts store rental presses have always gotten me through it. Crank them tight, and if the ball joints don't move tap the C with a hammer a few times. Usually they will move a bit then, and you can rinse and repeat until you're done.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most auto parts stores have a tool loaner program, no need to buy these tools if you are a one and done job. I prefer the press to the pickle fork,
but the main tool is the hammer.

Don't hit the threaded rod part, unscrew the bolt, leave it on and tap the side of the rod with your hammer, some you'll have to really tap a few times and it should pull apart.

But if you must buy, Harbor Freight is probably the best bet for an inexpensive puller.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a NAPA store and the counterman called that tool a pickle fork. I think they sold it under the brand name KD Tools...but that was years ago. Probably changed suppliers by now. Best of luck on your job.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I am mechanically able to get through the project, what I need is a ball joint tool. I have looked at the HF tool and others and reading reviews. Concerned about reviews of tools failing. Guess I am over thinking since probably the tools that fail are due to user error or mistreatment.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope the link opens. Napa has a good defective return on most everything.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769066

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I am mechanically able to get through the project, what I need is a ball joint tool. I have looked at the HF tool and others and reading reviews. Concerned about reviews of tools failing. Guess I am over thinking since probably the tools that fail are due to user error or mistreatment.

I've killed one of the loaners. Tightened it up and it cracked at one of the cornets. I took it back and they opened a brand new one that got it done. I don't know of any that are high quality, the parts store/ harbor freight ones seem to be basically the same thing and they've always worked for me (aside from the one that did break.)

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just borrow the ball joint kit from your local Auto parts store. Save some money and have one less thing to store in your garage.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Hope the link opens. Napa has a good defective return on most everything.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769066

I have this pickle fork ... will work for my tie rod ends but I need the "C clamp" press version to remove the lower control arm ball joint that is pressed in.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just borrow the ball joint kit from your local Auto parts store. Save some money and have one less thing to store in your garage.

Thought about this too. Also have a couple other vehicles that I could use the ball joint tool as well as my buddy's truck.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
What HRK said.
On the spindle boss, where the ball joint passes thru, there is a flat spot.
Hammer on that flat spot and the joint will pop apart. Leave the nut on the ball joint but loose. Like top of nut even with top of stud, for safety.
Repeatly hit that flat spot on spindle.
No special tool needed.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTC Tools, will even make simple work on u-joints.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-724...ervice/dp/B0002SRGXY

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
What HRK said.
Hammer on that flat spot and the joint will pop apart. Leave the nut on the ball joint but loose. Like top of nut even with top of stud, for safety.
No special tool needed.

Are you talking about the lower control arm ball joint ? And if so, how do you replace the ball joint without the "C clamp" tool ?

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
He has a pickle fork... but is not talking about removing the tapered part... *I think* (please correct me if I am wrong Dino) he is talking about removing the ball joint itself from the upper/lower A arms. A whole different animal. Not the tapered part that you can pop out with a hammer blow.

I have tried the borrow tool route from the parts store a couple times, both times the tool was either broken or worn out. I finally bought my own set. Thought I was set but then I had to buy an optional extra parts for my Jeep.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
The only ball joints I am removing is from the lower control arms and replacing with new ball joints. On my Ford Ranger the upper control arms are replaced as a complete unit since the ball joints can not be replaced separately.

Even if the lower control arm ball joint can be removed by hammering it out ... it still needs to have a ball joint press to install.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
He has a pickle fork... but is not talking about removing the tapered part... *I think* (please correct me if I am wrong Dino) he is talking about removing the ball joint itself from the upper/lower A arms. A whole different animal. Not the tapered part that you can pop out with a hammer blow.

I have tried the borrow tool route from the parts store a couple times, both times the tool was either broken or worn out. I finally bought my own set. Thought I was set but then I had to buy an optional extra parts for my Jeep.
You need to live in my area. The auto parts store kits are stolen so often that the kits they do have on the shelf are like new.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
What HRK said.
No special tool needed.

Are you talking about the lower control arm ball joint ? And if so, how do you replace the ball joint without the "C clamp" tool ?

Yes a c clamp tool for pressing ball joint into or out of control arm.
I miss understood what tool you needed.

Also you can remove the control arm and have a shop press out and press new one in.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
OTC Tools, will even make simple work on u-joints.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-724...ervice/dp/B0002SRGXY

Thanks, exactly a recommendation I was looking for. OTC makes some great tools for this purpose. The other I as looking at was the Astro Pneumatic Tool 7897.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also you can remove the control arm and have a shop press out and press new one in.

Do not want to remove the lower control arm since do not need too ... and for the cost of the shop, I can buy the press tool and do it myself saving both time and money.