SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ball Joint Tool
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball Joint Tool Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yep Ford lower ball joints can be replaced in the control arm. Both the press and pickle fork can be obtained at no charge from any large auto parts store.

You have two things you may need tools for, 1) Getting the ball joint out of the spindle, 2) Pressing the ball joint out of the lower control arm, you will need a press/large C Clamp and the appropriate cup to move it out and into the control arm.

The kit in this video is all you'll need to press the ball joint out and into the lower control arm. Buy it at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or just borrow it from Advance/Pep Boys/ etc Auto store.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Check out youtube videos FordTechMakuloco and motoforlyfe to help you make an easy install. As far as tools rent or buy the pickle fork and the ball joint clamp.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Yup ... though this country boy has been around the block many times, from rebuilding engines on the farm to years of automotive mechanic training. Love there are videos on Youtube, lots of help with things I did not know. At my age, always want to learn at least one new thing everyday.

More importantly ... I want to give a big shout out and thank you to everyone of you who responded to my thread. From each comment here I learned something. In comparison, I also posted on a Ford Ranger forum with nearly the same 300 views as on here Sig Forum ... but from the Ranger forum not one comment. You guys are the best !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, exactly a recommendation I was looking for. OTC makes some great tools for this purpose. The other I as looking at was the Astro Pneumatic Tool 7897.
I have the OTC C-frame myself. I haven't been able to break it. Keep the threads on the forcing screw clean and well lubricated. The very basic adapters that come with that set will probably work on your lower ball joint. Astro Pneumatic has been "hit or miss" for me, but I use tools every day and hard, much harder than your one-time use. You'll also need a snap ring (aka circlip) plier. Even if the old ball joint doesn't have one, the new one almost certainly will.

I still think it more cost-effective to rent/borrow the press. Several parts chains like O'Reilly, Advance Auto, etc. offer this. If you don't think you'll ever use the tool again, the possibility exists that you could sell it later.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have a pickle fork I'll never use again.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I used a loaner ball joint press from Autozone to do my Mustang lower ball joints last spring.
They came out and went back in nice and smooth.

Just check the press before you leave. The schmuck before me must have used an impact and cross threaded the thing but of course I did not realize this until I got back to the house and all setup and tried to start cranking.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
HRK ... that was a great video, thanks !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Astro 7897...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

posted Hide Post
You shouldn't need customer service with an OTC tool.... Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
You shouldn't need customer service with an OTC tool.... Big Grin

That's the problem as nothing is perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

posted Hide Post
^^^ absolutely.

I just yanking your chain. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Yank away sir ! Just be kind to my little avatar pooch. Smile

posted Hide Post
Typically you can rap the side of the control arm, using vibration, to loosen the ball joint tapered shaft. Tie rod ends come out easy, ball joints need harder rapping. Usually I have used a 16 or 24 oz. ball peen hammer. This is often easier than using a pickle fork, and is best when planning on reusing the part.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I managed to bend my Harbor Freight one! Big Grin
Still works, just a little "a-crook". Wink

My advice, clean the opening well first, wire brush or emory cloth. And make sure it's going in straight, or else you can get the above.

Of course the last one I did rattle around in the opening, apparently a known issue with that model car. So I bought the over sized splined one. Still popped out with minimal pressure. So the welder joined the party... Roll Eyes

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post