SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for GM/Buick service techs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for GM/Buick service techs Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
This week one of the ignition keys for my 1998 Park Avenue broke apart, and the dealer had trouble programming two new keys.

When I got home I found two other keys which work, and which are programmed and start the car. This makes a total of three working keys.

IIRC, only 4 keys can be programmed at one time. Assuming the broken key is still programmed, what is the procedure to reprogram 4 keys together so the car recognizes them and forgets the broken key?

All of the keys are the correct PK3 part number, and are cut correctly.

Thank you for your help with this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1998 should still use the resistor chip VATS system where the "chip" is visible on the key. If this is what your Buick has, there should be no limit to how many copies you make as the chip is just a resistor- and GM only used 14 or 15 different values so as long as all keys are the same value (there should be a number printed on the chip), they will all work. With this system, you can't really deactivate a key.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The top of the key is covered in black rubber.

posted Hide Post
I didn't realize GM had moved on that early. These instructions should work: http://www.programautokeys.com...DisplayAd.asp?id=173

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Broke apart? The rubber deteriorated or wore out on mine and the chip came loose.
I just glued it back in and covered the rubber with several layers of superglue. Worked for years, long as the car lasted.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Broke apart? The rubber deteriorated or wore out on mine and the chip came loose.
I just glued it back in and covered the rubber with several layers of superglue. Worked for years, long as the car lasted.

The tip and 1/3 of the key broke off inside my trunk lock.

Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Since we have the topic up, let me piggyback a question--Who has had their 3800 V6 recall repair done? Was it a big hassle that required a long time at the dealer? I've been putting it off for my Y2K Grand Prix.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Bump hoping for an answer.