SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nikon D7200 vs. D7500
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon D7200 vs. D7500 Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I am thinking about upgrading from my D5600 to one of these two other DX Nikons. My main reasons are for the extra control wheel on both that would make shooting in manual a lot easier, and also the much brighter viewfinders.

What say you photo guys, which is better, I don't shoot video currently, and do not plan to.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got a D7100 and a D7500. Originally started with the D7100 when I finally made the switch from film to digital after dragging my feet for years. Decided with all the trips and photography I'm doing in Alaska, a second back-up body was needed and I went with the D7500. Also found myself constantly switching lenses between my 200-500 telephoto zoom and smaller lenses. With 2 bodies I just leave the 200-500 zoom mounted on one of them and just grab the second camera if a different lens is needed.

I'd highly recommend the D7500 over the 7200. The focus and metering system was upgraded on the 7500 and it is much faster in operation, especially with moving subjects. It will also shoot with a slightly higher frame rate than the D7200. The only downside for me with the D7500 is that it only has a single SD card slot instead of 2. Granted I've never filled an SD card or had one fail, but I like the idea of redundancy.

Since you've already got the D5600, the D7500 makes sense since they both use DX lenses. Keep the D5600 as backup. The other option may be moving up to full frame sensors with the D7800.

I'd also recommend the D7500 bundle that comes with the 16-80 f2.8-4 zoom lens. The lens itself is close to $1k so the kit is a huge savings. It's listed as currently out of stock on Nikon's website but B&H or Adorama, etc. may have them. It's an excellent lens and not the typical kit lens. It's faster and provides crisper images than my 18-300 or 18-140 (that I gave to my daughter and really wish I hadn't). I really love that lens, unfortunately mine didn't come with the body.

Enjoy.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/ni...ras/13535/d7500.html

Bald Eagle, Bird Point, Alaska, Nikon D7500, AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Orion over the Chugiach Range, Glenn Alps Trailhead, Alaska, Nikon 7500, AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR. Almost hate posting this one since the resolution reduction of PictureTrail's hosting site really cuts down on resolution and you can barely make out Orion, but this was taken at 0300 to give you an idea how good the low light capability is of the 16-80 lens.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11743 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have owner both the D7000 and now the D7200. I see no good reason to move to the D7500 as it offers no real improvement over what I have.

The D7200 is a wonderful camera and I have only the 18-200mm Nikon lens for it. Unfortunately, my iPhone 11 Pro has pretty much replaced my Nikon. In fact, I'm considering selling my D7200, lens and SB-600 flash as I just don't use it any longer. (not a sales pitch - just a fact).

Read kenrockwell.com for details on both and his recommendations.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Very good thread! I'm going to be retiring soon and want to get back into photography. I have (2) D80 camera bodies and quite a few DX lenses. I may have to look at the Nikon 7500 as a retirement gift for myself. LOL

Posts: 3393 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
The NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR is an excellent lens. It rivals my 24-70mm 2.8 at work. If you can get that as part of a package at a reduced price you will be thrilled. I have a D7200 and everybody thinks my landscapes are shot with full frame, but it's discontinued. I'm sure the D7500 is excellent. The Z50 looks to be an interesting also.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have an old D200 sitting here. And a few F's as well. 7500! I'm way behind.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
D7200 has two image card slots. Useful for backup of primary or you can shoot jpeg on one and raw on the other.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5040 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at Thom Hogan’s review of both the D7200 and the D7500; he argues in favor of the D7500.

DSLR Reviews

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
The only draw of the D7500 for me is the tilting LED screen, as I do occasionally use that feature on my D5600, I admit that I would get more out of the depth of field preview on the 7200, as well as the dual card slots.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the tilting screen. Never thought much about it until having one on my Fuji xt-1 and my d500.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Nikon sure seems to have a lot of models in their current lineup. Does anybody know of a simple, easy-to-read summary listing of the different bodies and what distinguishes them from each other? I could spend a month plowing through the ads and reviews and NikonUSA.com and still be confused.

Posts: 7239 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Okay. Back in the film camera SLR days, picking a camera was easy. I am pretty confused at this time. Full Frame vs APS-C. Canon vs Nikon vs Sony. RAW vs Jpeg. 4K video. blah blah blah.

This thread intrigued me because I am myself is looking at these two cameras. What do you all think about which one is better for my need?

I am wanting it for sport photography. Baseball and mainly volleyball. I was a photography nerd back in school. Had my own darkroom in the 8th grade. Burned out in high school with yearbook photography. I am finally picking it back up with my kid's sports. Right now, I am just using a Canon Rebel T6. What I find frustrating is the slow fps that it has. Also, the auto focus drives me berserk. For indoor volleyball, the darker gym have me fighting with the ISO and slower shutter speed. What I am looking for is a camera with great auto focus capability, low light accommodation, and faster frame per second speed.

So, either of these fit my need?..Nikon D7200? D7500? D610? or something else? What about Sony? Full Frame or APS-C? Does it matter? OEM lenses or have TAMRON/SIGMA/ETC has step up their game?

Posts: 1341 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
So, either of these fit my need?..Nikon D7200? D7500? D610? or something else? What about Sony? Full Frame or APS-C? Does it matter? OEM lenses or have TAMRON/SIGMA/ETC has step up their game?

Yeah, it's gotten complicated.

Full frame vs. APS-C basically refers to the size of the sensor. The full frame sensor is larger. It also takes different lenses and tends to cost more. It's more equivalent to the traditional 35mm film camera in ratio. A full frame lens can be used on an APS-C body, but in reverse the APS-C lens on a full frame body will be black around the edges.

The advantages of an APS-C camera are less expensive, smaller size and the cropping effect of using a full frame lens on them can be an advantage in things such as wildlife and sports photography. The lenses are made for the bigger sensor and the APS-C sensor occupies a smaller space in the image on the lens creating a crop factor of about 1.5. So using my 200-500FX lens on my D7500DX camera, it's more like a 300-750 zoom lens.

As far as sports photography, a D7500 will work. I caught this arrow coming off of my daughter's bow with my D7100 and the D7500 is faster on focusing and has a higher frame rate than the D7100. She's already released and the arrow that you see at the front of her bow is on it's way downrange at around 265fps.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11743 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics I took with a 7100. The first and last with a 18-105 kit lens. The middle with an 80-200 f2.8.

I like the 7100 (similar to the 7200) and it gets the job done. However, when I get a do over, I want the D500. The autofocus is supposed to be unbeatable. And it features 10 FPS vs. 6 FPS of the 7000 series. And those extra 4 frame per second would be nice. It's amazing how far a softball travels in 1/6 of a second.

Posts: 2276 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have the D7200 and can't find a reason to move to the D7500. The D7500 offers a higher ISO range but in practice it's only tantamount to a stop. Speed advantage is with the D7500. But the D7200 has a higher MP sensor - 24 MP versus 20 MP. The D7500 has Bluetooth feature, whereas the D7200 has a WiFi feature. Since I've never used it, it's worthless feature to me.

For me, the biggest D7500 advantage over the D7200 is the ability to "turn off" Vibration Reduction (VR) on some lenses that don't have an external on/off switch. Some DX lenses that are AF-P don't have an external switch to turn off VR. You have to do it through the camera. You can't do that with the D7200 but you can with the D7500.

My D7200 does everything I need it to do. Cameras aren't PCs or cell phones, so there is no need to upgrade as soon as a new model comes out. If you can get a D7200 significantly cheaper than a D7500, that's what I would base my decision on. You can use the money saved for good lenses.

And good lenses is what you really need.

I'd recommend a good "walking around" lense. I have a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR with an external autofocus on/off switch and an external VR on/off switch. This lense is suitable for most of the picture taking it do.

For distance, I use an FX lens - AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR. It has the external switches, too. The full frame lens eliminates vignetting you get with DX lenses at long focal lengths. The brightest part of the image is projected on the whole of the sensor. FX lenses work very well on DX cameras. The 70-300mm FX lens are usually faster than the same lens in a DX format.

If you decide to consider a full frame camera (FX) instead of crop sensor camera (DX), know what you will be using it for. DXs can actually have an advantage over FX in certain situations, if the FX and the DX have virtually equal megapixels.

Virtually all of the photos I post in the Gallery were taken with a D7200 and the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens. If any have blur, that was my fault.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/4520025174
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/8900072074
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/9710086864

If you are taking full frame pictures, like portraits, the FX wins. But if you are cropping a picture - for instance a bird at long distance, the DX wins. If you have a 24mp FX and a 24mp DX, then DX will have a higher resolution after the picture is cropped. Because the remaining picture will be made up of more pixels after all the stuff you don't want has been cropped out.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Month old discussion where someone asked the same should I buy question D7200 or D7500

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4485650

Posts: 4004 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:

I am wanting it for sport photography. Baseball and mainly volleyball.

For this specific use, nothing beats a full-frame Nikon/Canon camera, specifically the professional series (D4, D5, 1D Mk abcdefg, etc). The shutter lag is practically zero, which will help you create solid sports photographs.
That, and fast glass. f/2.8 is preferred, f/4.0 is acceptable.
If looking at Sony, the A9 is the king of speed and autofocus. The A7III or A7R IV would be a nice compromise.
Sports is one of the few areas where the gear absolutely determines the photographic outcome, once you cross a certain point. It's hard to make money at sports photography these days, due to the equipment expense (unlike in the film days).
I shot sports-only for a living for about 16 years.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I literally just upgraded a couple of weeks ago from the D5600 to the D7500. Best decision ever. On paper, the D7500 isn't that much better, but the images have been night and day better. The D7500 is also much more user friendly.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Okay. I ended up picking up a Nikon D7200 with a Nikon 18-55 and 55-300..2 Nikon batteries for $625. It has 1600 shutter count. Bought it for a couple that had grand plans to do a lot of family photos. But the camera overwhelmed them.

Son has a baseball game tomorrow so it will get a test out. Figure I can’t go wrong...I can always pick up a second body...

Posts: 1341 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a decent deal.
Enjoy!

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post