SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everytown Takes Victory Lap as Paul Ryan Lets National Reciprocity Stall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everytown Takes Victory Lap as Paul Ryan Lets National Reciprocity Stall Login/Join 
posted
In a Thursday report, Michael Bloomberg-funded Everytown for Gun Safety took a victory lap over the fact that the Republicans control the House yet Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) is not advancing national reciprocity.
National Reciprocity was introduced by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) on January 3, 2017  and Gun Owners of America reported that it had 199 co-sponsors by June 21, 2017. Yet Second Amendment supporters have seen no action on the bill from Ryan or Congressional leadership.

So Everytown is claiming a win.

Politico reported, “Republicans in Washington keep promising rollbacks of gun control laws” but “so far haven’t taken action on any on it.”

There is no evidence that Everytown has anything to do with Ryan’s inaction, but the inaction lets Everytown gloat nonetheless.

Reps. Thomas Massie (R-KY), Mo Brooks (R-AL), and Barry Loudermilk (R-KY) emerged from the June 14 Alexandria attack with a sharp focus on concealed carry and the ability to have a gun on one’s person for self-defense regardless of the state (or district) through which one is traveling. Second Amendment supporters hope Massie, Brooks, and Loudermilk can motivate Ryan to act on behalf of gun owners at a time like this; a time when Republicans control the House and Senate, and have a president who has already made clear he supports national reciprocity for concealed carry.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...l-reciprocity-stall/

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
damn Ryan traitor to the cause and party

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
damn Ryan traitor to the cause and party

...and COUNTRY!!!! Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ryan:not worth a cup of warm spit

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
National reciprocity kind of worries me a little, don't get me wrong that it would be great to be able to carry in my neighbor state of NJ and not be an instant felon upon crossing a bridge in Philly but I have concerns that it would dumb down or change things like we enjoy in PA for carry.

Unlike many states where they have all these Mickey Mouse rules about not being able to carry in a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol and things like that, there are literally like 3 places we CANNOT carry and that's IT:

1. Military/Gov't installations
2. Courthouses
3. Schools

My worry that PA's carry laws would be watered down to match those of other states with more restrictive rules.

Am I off base here worrying about this?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect the Republicans will push through gun rights bills as well as the Democrats pushed through gun control bills.
Each panders, just enough, to their constituents to get support but nothing more.
A big event is about all that moves them either way.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had high hopes for Ryan, but I am really getting to the "fuck that guy" point.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Has he voiced something that explains why he's not aggressively driving this through?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I had high hopes for Ryan, but I am really getting to the "fuck that guy" point.

Same here.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Ryan:not worth a cup of warm spit

not worth a cup of cold piss

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Has he voiced something that explains why he's not aggressively driving this through?

Maybe he has some of the same reservations that many of us have in including the Feds in the business of Concealed Carry Permits.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
National reciprocity kind of worries me a little, don't get me wrong that it would be great to be able to carry in my neighbor state of NJ and not be an instant felon upon crossing a bridge in Philly but I have concerns that it would dumb down or change things like we enjoy in PA for carry.

Unlike many states where they have all these Mickey Mouse rules about not being able to carry in a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol and things like that, there are literally like 3 places we CANNOT carry and that's IT:

2. Courthouses
3. Schools

My worry that PA's carry laws would be watered down to match those of other states with more restrictive rules.

I don't think you are off base at all.
I think the concept is great too but I worry about the Feds making the rules for CC and then regulating the heck out of it when the next anti-gun government comes into office.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:

2. Courthouses
3. Schools

that's my concern too, and I work in NJ haha.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There shouldn't be any laws period. Carry anything, anytime, anywhere.

Government getting involved in any law that constrains what the people can use to protect against governmental tyranny is a direct conflict of interest.

At a minimum, the people should be able to do whatever a SS agent, FBI, LEO, Military can do.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are your motor vehicle laws more watered down and restrictive?

Shouldn't be any different.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Cars are not guns, politicians and people think about them differently since they have different uses...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gave you reason for high hopes for his intentions? Never saw much in his pedigree to feel optimistic. He just wasn't John Boehner

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
There shouldn't be any laws period. Carry anything, anytime, anywhere.

Government getting involved in any law that constrains what the people can use to protect against governmental tyranny is a direct conflict of interest.

At a minimum, the people should be able to do whatever a SS agent, FBI, LEO, Military can do.

Unfortunately, that's not the current reality. And it's a bit of a fantasy to think it'll ever be like that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, that's not the current reality. And it's a bit of a fantasy to think it'll ever be like that.

Don't disagree. But then, sometimes ambitious goals help us to achieve acceptable realities.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Actually, I think they might be. Aren't there threats of withholding federal highway funds if states don't comply with certain aspects of regulations like DUI laws? I'm pretty sure the 55mph speed limit was forced on all states with funding threats.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post