SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ft. Davis, Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ft. Davis, Texas Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Today , my Internet travels led me to Ft. Davis, Texas. I have been hearing about Ft. Davis for years, tied in with my daily dose of Stardate, the McDonald Observatory, broadcast.

I know there are many Sig Forum members in Texas. West Texas has always held my interest, more so than East Texas. Marfa, Alpine, some of the other towns, then there is All the great State Parks in that area.

What surprised me, was the elevation of Ft. Davis, about 5,000 above sea level. I bet it is a very pretty area. Probably a lot of rattlesnakes there too.

https://fortdavis.com/area-information/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in Texas my entire life and I’ve always wanted to visit Ft. Davis and the Big Bend area. Unfortunately, it’s an 8hr drive from where I live, so I’ve just never gotten around to it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I spent a week in Alpine, TX and Fort Davis was one of the towns I meandered through. It seemed pretty neat. I mostly recall a place to get handmade(?) cowboy hats of various kinds. SUPER expensive. LOL

I love the old towns with the central square and the courthouse. I think there was a state park there too, around the old fort.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
A man I worked with briefly, told me about Big Bend Park, and how awesome it is.

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/weather.htm

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Went to Big Bend as a child and again briefly at like 16yo. I’d like to visit the area as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Going to Fort Davis is one of our favorite trips.

The town is pretty much like any other small west Texas town. However the elevation and the Davis observatory make it an amazing trip. The stars are absolutely breathtaking.

It’s also well worth the time to hit both big bend NP and big bend ranch (a Texas state park). I’m told that BB ranch is what big bend was like 40 years ago as far a lack development etc. Its supposed to be like stepping back in time.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Stopped and spent the night there on a ride out to Big Bend a few years back. Stayed in the Limpia Hotel. Other than the restaurant in the hotel, the town pretty much closes down about 6 or so in the afternoon. We got up early and rode the loop around the observatory mountain. I like west Texas.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I've been to Ft. Davis many many times. One of the main draws for me over the year was my attendance of the Texas Star Party each year. Every evening, my buddies and I would venture into the town for dinner. Restaurants come and go over the years, but two of the main ones still kicking is Cueva De Leon Mexican Food and the Ft Davis Drug Store. There is/was a restaurant in the Hotel Limpa, but it has been closed a few times over the years.

Another place to eat is in the Davis Mountains State Park at Indian Lodge. If you want to eat or stay there, you just drive through the park without an entry fee into the park. I spent a TON of time in the park imaging wild birds. If you care a bout birds, they have bird watching stations, and it is even possible, not probable, to view the rare Montezuma quail there.

There is a scenic loop in the area which is worth driving. You will see pronghorns, white tail/mule deer, turkeys, foxes and more. I've see a couple of elk over the years, and a black bear wandered into town several years ago.

Up at the McDonald Observatory complex, they have a visitor center which has regular night viewing. Remember, a lot of astronomy is spectroscopy and night visual so be prepared that the visitor center is more focused on that. Up the hill, you can tour the old scope domes and the Hobby-Eberly scope.

Back in town, it looks a little like a Suzuki Samarai used car lot, but the Rattlers and Reptiles snake farm is worth visiting. The old man running it is an interesting man from England.

There is a green train caboose that is/was selling ice cream, but like many of the store and restaurants there, they go in and out of business.

The Hotel Limpia has a little bit of interest going on there with its history. I've eaten a lot of wonderful meals there in their restaurant, but again, it wasn't always open when I was there.

The Prude Ranch really isn't to visit, but that is where the Texas Star Party is held. I haven't been the last couple of years due to health, but I've spent a lot of time with the best of people and viewed the most beautiful dark skies there at night while imaging birds and other wildlife during the day.

There is a skyline drive in the state park which can give you some pretty views of the area. Alpine and Marfa aren't too far of a drive, but Marfa doesn't do anything for me. Alpine is the home of Sul Ross University, and they have a little museum there on campus worth a look see.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank you,fttu, for that great writeup of your visits to that area and Ft. Davis.

I love small towns.

On a sad note, the NPS announced on their Big Bend Park website, that one of the 3 black bear cubs was hit and killed on the park highway yesterday.

The cubs have been an attraction in the Park recently.

美しい犬

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I love the Big Bend area, almost as much as southern Utah. Regarding Big Bend Ranch, their motto is "Be there, Bring Two Spares", especially if you are going into the back country. That includes mountain bikes!

The towns in the area are quirky, especially Terlingua. Imagine if all the hippies got on a train and rode to the end of the line. Then they got into old school buses, and drove into the middle of nowhere until they broke down. Then they made a town. That town would be Terlingua. Liberal, quirky, fascinating!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post