SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a question for our auto mechanics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a question for our auto mechanics Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We referred to them as "wallet flushes" in the parts department.

If you want to mess with the advisor tell him to show you in the TOYOTA system whether it be the owners manual, service manual, technical service bulletins, anywhere where it states that these services are necessary or recommended. Not the chemical company, their distributor or the dealer's signage or handouts. I'll bet nowhere to be found.

The automaker I used to be associated with sent a TSB around a couple of years back stating that these flushes were not needed and could cause damage in some cases, probably a statement to cover themselves if a component failed after performing one of these services. And that they add an unnecessary expense to the vehicle owner performing a service not deemed as necessary. And while the manufacturer cannot tell the dealership not to sell them, they dump the responsibility for that decision back on the dealership.

Reasons the dealers sell them, profit. High profit. Usually spiffs to the salesperson and the tech performing the operation.

One of the writers tried pulling that crap on me a few months after I started, the last store I worked at before I retired. I had a mid range surge. First thing when I took it in "We need to do an injection service as a first step" to which I replied "Oh, so GMPP will pay for it?" knowing well that they do not. Well we went back and forth, guess he thought this was my first rodeo.

So in the shop it goes. Went through two techs until a third one remembered a TSB regarding that problem. Turns out it was the camshaft and distributor gears were excessively worn, a not unheard of issue with the 4.3L engines of that vintage. Always loved (?) know it all service advisors.......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
I had it in for a tire rotation today

I have to ask, where was the tire rotation being done?

I do the tire rotation at the dealer.
We bought the tires from them at great price and free rotation for life was included.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
The A/C evaporator cleaned.

No, unless it stinks. However, the car almost certainly has a cabin air filter. If this has not been changed, it is past due. Curious that they didn't recommend it.

I always change my own cabin and engine filter. The dealer wants to much for 2 minutes worth of work.

quote:
Clean and service engine induction system.
Clean fuel injectors.

While a lot of crap does build up on the inside of an intake manifold and the induction service can be beneficial, I don't think you need this at such low mileage. I wouldn't recommend it if I were working on it.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
That would be a big NOPE as everyone suggested.
Though I do run a bottle of Chevron Techron (fuel system cleaner) in the gas tank every 25k Miles.

How much did they want for these services???
I HATE places that suggest all these nonsensical services and refuse to do business with those that do.

It would have been over $400.00

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
My wife and I own a 2015 Toyota RAV4 with 65,000 miles on it.
I had it in for a tire rotation today and the advisor recommended the following services.
The A/C evaporator cleaned.
Clean and service engine induction system.
Clean fuel injectors.
Are these services really necessary at 65,000 miles. I usually keep my cars till over 150,000 to 200,000 miles.
I have had some of those services done in the past but not at 65,000 miles.
So I guess my question is do I really need this done and if so at what mileage should I wait till.

Of those items, the only one that should be done, and you should do it rather than overpay someone else, is the induction. That's fancy for replace the air filter. Pop off the cover, toss the old one, put a new one in; buy it at Walmart. Done.

I prefer K&N filters; they're cleanable and re-useable air filters; they're a bit more work, which is washing, rinsing, and re-oiling the filter element, but if you don't want to get dirty or take any extra time, a few bucks for a new air filter and you're good.

It's good to clean injectors, but unless you're having issues, I wouldn't. Most autos go their entire service life without the injectors being touched.

Unless you're having a problem with the air conditioning, I wouldn't do anything with it at all.

Your owners manual will have a schedule of recommended service intervals. Most people follow this only while the vehicle is under warranty, or while they're making payments on the car. After that, most people don't fix or maintain things until they have a problem.

I recommend preventative maintenance, but don't let the mechanic or shop talk you into work that doesn't need to be done. Your air filter should be checked and either cleaned or replaced regularly, depending on your driving conditions and locale. Oil should be changed regularly, not just on a mileage basis, but also on a calendar basis (most people don't, and don't know to do that on a calendar basis, or why). Fuel filters should be replaced from time to time. They're inexpensive, and help prevent issues that might require cleaning fuel injectors.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They give you "free" tire rotations so they have a chance to sell you these expensive and mostly unnecessary services. Lots of people probably fall for their line of bullshit. I'd find somewhere else to take my business as they have demonstrated that they're basically liars who prey on their customers through obfuscation.

"Clean and service engine induction system" Roll Eyes "Change air filter" is plain English and an ordinary person could probably judge whether the proposed cost of the job is reasonable. They can't have the customer know what they are proposing to do-the customer might see through it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
That would be a big NOPE as everyone suggested.
Though I do run a bottle of Chevron Techron (fuel system cleaner) in the gas tank every 25k Miles.

How much did they want for these services???
I HATE places that suggest all these nonsensical services and refuse to do business with those that do.

It would have been over $400.00

No way I would ever do business with that establishment again!
Those suggestions are ludicrous in the first place then at that price no fricking way.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone that is what I thought.
In the past I have always been offered some sort of service when my cars have had a lot more mileage on then "125,000" or more.
It is usually a transmission flush/service,brake line flush or a radiator flush. Most of the time I turn them down unless I notice a problem.
I always change my own cabin,engine filters and dump fuel system treatment on a regular basis.
The induction system and A/C evaporator were new to me.

NRA Life Member