SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A friend asked what to invest in.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A friend asked what to invest in. Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
6% annuity with a very small payout starting now.

What product is that? Normally if the payout is immediate, there is no interest rate as such (there's an internal rate, but it ain't no 6%").

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

What product is that? Normally if the payout is immediate, there is no interest rate as such (there's an internal rate, but it ain't no 6%").

Yeah, I would like to know, too.

I miss the days of 5% money market gains.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
What is his tolerance for risk as in how much of the 200K is he willing to lose if the investments don't work out as planned? If the answer is zero then CDs or money market funds are about the only way to go with a current return of about 2 percent. If more he can allocate percentages between low risk and higher risk hoping for a higher rate of return long term depending on his risk tolerance. He can open a brokerage account with the likes of Vanguard or Fidelity to get started with a whole lot of investment options. Both have low management fee target date funds if he wants them to figure out their recommended allocations based on his age.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

What product is that?
Last I checked, admittedly years ago, it would entail two instruments. One, say, set up for $400/month for 240 months, and the other locking up money for the same 240 months - 20 years.

I'm thinking half the money immediately paid out for 240 months will produce a $440 monthly check. The other half will pay whatever the 20-year lock-in terms dictate.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“When called by a panther, don’t anther.”

Giving investment advice isn’t a good idea IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“When called by a panther, don’t anther.”

Giving investment advice isn’t a good idea IMO.

Agreed!

Quite a few years ago I began to refuse to give people advice on anything. "What should I invest in?" "Which car should I buy?" On and on.

Invariably, the advisee will eventually come back at you with, "That was the worst advice I ever got. You stink!"

No more.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted, giving advice of any kind is usually futile. Most don't take it or try and apply it incorrectly.

It's probably better to phrase the question differently;......

"How would *you* invest $200,000.00?"

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His best investment is a certified financial planner. Money+ignorance=no money.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post