SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What side would you bring to a pig roast?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What side would you bring to a pig roast? Login/Join 
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Asian slaw

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Homemade coleslaw and peach cobbler!

Coleslaw dressing:
1/2C Mayo
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Teaspoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons of fresh horseradish
** I'll usually go a little heavier on the vinegar

Peach Cobbler

Filling:
1 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 Cups sliced peeled fresh peaches

Topping:
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 Cup cold butter
1 egg, beaten

Directions
In a bowl, combine sugar, flour and nutmeg. Add peaches; stir to coat. Pour into greased 11x7x2 inch baking pan
For topping, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in egg. Spoon over peaches
Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is golden.

Posts: 1797 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Texas Caviar
Armadillo Eggs

Posts: 1056 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bacon sandwiches.

Seriously - pickles, homemade pickles.

Dessert.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Does anyone actually like Collard Greens?

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Collard greens

flashguy

Hell, yes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Homemade ice-cream!
By itself or over peach cobbler, homemade cake, or other cobbler or pie, depending upon local preferences!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My rules of thumb for summer potlucks are:
  • don't make something with a high propensity for food poisoning (mayo based or seafood based).
  • don't make something that hordes of people can pick-up premade at the at the grocery store. Why spend the time and be the 7th potato salad, mayo based cole slaw, pasta salad, layered "Mexican" dip, fruit tray, veggie tray, brownies, cookies, etc.?

Caprese salad kabobs as it's classy, tasty, summery, unique (the local grocery stores don't sell), and nobody else will bring it. I either use from garden or buy cherry tomatoes (HEB sells "flavor bomb" which are best supermarket tomatoes) and basil. Then, I buy Fresh Mozzarella Ciliegine (the little cherry size mozarella balls packed in water or whey). I tear the basil leaves in quarters and use toothpicks as the kebob skewer. Each kebob contains 1 cherry tomato, 1/4 basil leaf, and 1 Mozzarella Ciliegine ball. On the plate (i.e. under the skewers) have a olive oil, pepper, and balsamic vinegar mixture.

Vinegar slaw is tasty, goes well with pork, and it's unique (the local grocery stores just sell mayo slaw). I also have a killer recipe so it's on my short list.

Cucumber salad is tasty, goes well with pork, and it's unique (the local grocery stores don't sell). I also have a killer recipe so it's on the short list.

Homemade mac & cheese if can be kept above 140 in crockpot or sterno.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23047 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    I know it's bagged, but there's a Kale Salad Kit that I like to have with BBQ because it's more of a slaw than it is a "salad"; really crispy and fresh. It comes with a sesame seed dressing and a packet of Cranberries and pecans (or maybe it's sliced almonds), but I like to put in about another 1/2 cup total (minimum) of additional Cranberries and sliced almonds.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Haggis

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Does anyone actually like Collard Greens?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^
    YES!!! With the aforementioned cornbread... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Three pages and not one word about bourbon. Just bring bourbon.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^ I prefer unsweetened cornbread.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    This cole slaw.

Publix Coleslaw Mix
    Shredded or sticked carrots
    Mayo
    Sugar, 2 tbsp
    Salt 1 tsp.
    Black Pepper
    Lemon Juice
    Dijon Mustard
    Dill

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Non-Miscreant
    posted Hide Post
    Ice, plenty of ice...Big Grin Then toilet paper, the family size 300 roll job. Maybe some soft drinks for the tranny guys who don't drink beer. Paper towels for so they can wipe the other end, too. Big Grin Tater chips to supply salt to rebuild the sodium the folks let run out in sweat and, well liquid shit. Maybe a few hundred dozen dinner rolls - no body ever brings them but someone should.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18381 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    Bacon sandwiches.

Seriously - pickles, homemade pickles.

Dessert.

Pickles...I instantly flashed to the Andy Griffin Show.

Andy & Barney bragged up Aunt Bea’s pickles only to have Aunt Bea go into overdrive canning.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Home made tortillas and pico de gallo.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Repressed
    Picture of ShneaSIG
    posted Hide Post
    If beans and potato salad are already covered...

Some good, homemade bread or rolls? A favorite homemade dip or another appetizer? A proper, baked mac 'n cheese would be good. Make up some of your favorite nacho cheese and lots of nacho fixins for some pulled pork nachos? Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon? Really, just about any roasted veggies are a good addition - broccoli and cauliflower tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper, then finished with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dusting of Parmesan is awfully good.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mark60
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 3435 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    You guys are awesome.

Tatortodd, I was at the store today and already picked up the ingredients for caprese on a stick- great minds and all that.
    I’m not going to make pie dessert for that many (otherwise I’d make a rhubarb strawberry pie), so I got some little phyllo shells that I’ll fill with pudding, yogurt or whipped cream and top w berries, but I’m afraid it won’t hold up to the heat (I’m in the far north, so I’m afraid collard greens won’t be a hit here- I’m actually a little afraid to ask what they are), but we expect to be in the high 80s. Pickles are a great idea, too, and I’m going to look at the cuke recipe (beans, potatoes, chips n dip are already in the multiples), too hot for mac n cheese.
    Thank you again, and keep em coming!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5269 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post