SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prison hunger strikes ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prison hunger strikes ?? Login/Join 
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
When someone is incarcerated we are responsible for "custody, CARE, and control". We can't ignore issues as that falls under "deliberate indifference" and there's a liability.

Inmates usually declare a hunger strike over some percieved slight and after a day we move them to Segregation where there's a camera 24/7 in their cell so we can monitor behavior. We offer every meal, document it and have Medical keep a close eye on weight and general health.

It usually resolves itself in a day or two.

Ours are most always a form of protest and an inmate's display of "control".

Regarding ICE detainees-they're civil detainees, not criminal (I know...) and as such have different rights, as do pre-sentence offenders.

When we held large numbers of ICE detainees we went through a yearly 79-page, three-day inspection by retired corrections professionals. Some were retired BOP wardens and the like. We called them the Four Wardens of the Apocalypse". It sucked.

As a sidebar the most litigous law-suit-happpy ICE detainee I ever held was an Australian. I had to answer a 125-page "Petetion for Injunctive Relief" lind by line. That sucked , too.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As a sidebar the most litigous law-suit-happpy ICE detainee I ever held was an Australian. I had to answer a 125-page "Petetion for Injunctive Relief" lind by line. That sucked , too.

Sheesh. That is ridiculous. How the hell can a corrections officer do his/her job with this much paperwork? I guess the bureaucrats need to justify their salaries.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post