SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prison hunger strikes ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prison hunger strikes ?? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted
Every year we hear about a prison hunger strike somewhere. Today I heard about one locally, in a prison housing illegal immigrants awaiting deportation. I never understood why prison hunger strikes are "a thing". Who_Cares??

If someone in prison decides not to eat, that's fine with me. Provide water to the cells, and let them know they are welcome to come to the dining area, any time they wish to resume eating. And that is all! End of story. If they are dumb enough to starve to death, that will save tax-payers a lot of money. Why does this stuff make the news? Who cares??

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Unless there's a reason to keep them alive, let them starve themselves as much as they want.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Of course the issue is that they are wards of the state.
So by law they're responsible for their well being.
But I've never seen anyone on a hunger strike that went full term.
And after 21 years as a prison guard, I've seen my share of attention seeking idiots go on & off them and it's always in Segregation.

Once an entity incarcerates them, they own them... & all the liabilities that go with that.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What would prison inmates go on a hunger or any other strike for, anyway? What are they going to protest? Their white wine being served at room temperature? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What would prison inmates go on a hunger or any other strike or protest for, anyway? Their white wine being served at room temperature? Roll Eyes

Anything & everything but legal issues & protests of treatment is the usual issue.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Bobby Sands was the only one I've ever heard of going through with it. Granted, not in the USA.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think hunger strikes should be encouraged

with all the money we save we could build a few new federal detention centers for all of the illegals that need to be warehoused

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
And after 21 years as a prison guard, I've seen my share of attention seeking idiots go on & off them and it's always in Segregation.

Once an entity incarcerates them, they own them... & all the liabilities that go with that.

Right. But if "We" the taxpayers (ie-The State) tell the strikers they are welcome to eat whenever they decide to resume eating....why should "we" care if they eat...or don't eat??

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Bobby Sands was the only one I've ever heard of going through with it. Granted, not in the USA.

I believe a few other IRA members, too. Early '70's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

I believe a few other IRA members, too. Early '70's.

Now THAT is "Old School" defined.

Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

Right. But if "We" the taxpayers (ie-The State) tell the strikers they are welcome to eat whenever they decide to resume eating....why should "we" care if they eat...or don't eat??

This. They're adults. As long as food is available to them, there should be no forcing them to eat. Just like they should not be forced to take any medicine, it just needs to be available to them if it's necessary.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Exactly. Offer inmates their meds, and food they need to survive. If they want to quit eating for a hunger-strike...F-'em. They can eat, if they want to survive. I suggest to deny them access to "The Media", including TV, and video games etc.

Inmates should have continued access to the book cart, and any other source of helpful info. I support ANY resource for inmates to better their situation.

I guess I am harsh, and just do not understand.

Life should be all about trying to improve your situation.

I toured Alcatraz. Now THAT, was hard-living!!

Just my take. Feel free to flame me.

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Care ?
We don't.
We the individuals fell the same way.
The inmates are grown men, "do what you do"!
But the State, the Dept. They do care because we live in a litigious society.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Care ?
We don't.
But the State, the Dept. does because we live in a litigious society.

Agreed. And THAT...is the problem.

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
FishOn, you'll get no argument from me or my fellow officers.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF56VO0qqLQ

Here's another puzzler: why do we try to keep death row inmates from committing suicide?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a prisoner go on a hunger strike.

Sheriff said "He's not serious, just wait a couple of days"

Couple of days went by and the Sheriff started a rumor about getting a great deal on steaks and that's what was for supper.

This guy was first in line and was he ever pissed when he ended up with a loaf.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a certain point, the feds will actually insert a feeding tube. Also, they closely restrict publicity so the strike does nothing.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
It's just one more element of the 24 hour a day, seven day a week entertainment cycle.

Hey look, Guys starving. Cool. What time's 'Survivor'?

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've had to weigh inmates daily and strap em down for the feeding tube when they lost too much weight. Some inmates do it for fun and attention. 99 percent of them will get hungry and get a meal tray on their own when they are done with their temper tantrum.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post