SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Louisville CO: Officer shoots suspect trying to ram car... dog killed :( (bad guys fault)

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Louisville CO: Officer shoots suspect trying to ram car... dog killed :( (bad guys fault) Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
I just saw this, don't even remember seeing this on the local news.

The news article I found said "The city's first ever police shooting", which is probably true.

For those of you who don't know, Louisville is a "suburb" of Boulder (for the lack of a way to say it). Boulder capped growth, so those who can't or don't want to buy in Boulder but work/go-to-school/teach in Boulder, you can live better/cheaper in Louisville.

Anyway, seems these 2 gents (a father and son "team") bought heroin, and thought it would be a good idea to get in the car and run rather than get arrested.

The son runs back to the pickup and revs the hell out of the engine trying to get away. Finally gets it in gear and rams the patrol car.

This, of course, results in several holes in him and the vehicle (and unfortunately, the dog).

The worst thing is that the dog probably had a higher IQ then the guys...

I do NOT fault the officers, and I know there might be some debate over "should he have shot or not", but I blame the bad guys. They didn't care about themselves and the son put the dad AND the dog at risk (the son even cries and apologizes to the dad after the medics come).

WARNING: THE VIDEO IS GRAPHIC!!!

Bodycam Shows Louisville Police Officer Firing at Fleeing Driver

Local "newspaper" story:

Body cam footage shows Louisville police officer firing at fleeing driver

If you read the article, don't forget "the daily camera" is a BOULDER paper... BOULDER = ULTRA-LEFT... they appear to blame the officer... Frown

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Evidently heroin doesn’t improve either comprehension or driving ability.

Too bad about the dog.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have used lethal force here. I suspect this goes badly for the officer.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That was NOT a deadly force scenario. Rolls eyes. Cop is going to get fired and or jailed for that one. Pepper spray the everloving shit out of that guy and rip his ass out of the car.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Colorado law permits use of deadly force by a peace officer to prevent the escape of certain dangerous criminals.

I don’t know enough about the situation to opine whether that was true this time, but it is conceivable based on the driver's ramming the police vehicle.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Colorado law permits use of deadly force by a peace officer to prevent the escape of certain dangerous criminals.

I don’t know enough about the situation to opine whether that was true this time, but it is conceivable based on the driver's ramming the police vehicle.

I hope to hell there was an unseen officer or citizen on the other side of police vehicle and in the direction of the fleeing suspects.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Looks to me the LEO was on the money with the use of force. Very professional out the way though the incident. The only sad part is the dog is DOA. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I wouldn't have used lethal force here.

I think it's questionable as well.

quote:
I hope to hell there was an unseen officer or citizen on the other side of police vehicle and in the direction of the fleeing suspects.

According to the description text for the video, witnesses reportedly said that there was nobody in the path of the truck.

quote:
I suspect this goes badly for the officer.

The description from the video also states that the DA cleared the officer of criminal wrongdoing, but there's still an internal investigation ongoing.

Based on the snippet of the PD's policy listed in the description, it sounds like while it may not have been criminal, it was probably not within policy.

So no jail time, but potentially some disciplinary action.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post