SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concrete pad over pool piping? Would you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concrete pad over pool piping? Would you? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
My wife wants a concrete pad over top of where the pool pipes run. Part of the piping is under the concrete pool deck anyways. Pool and PVC piping is 5 years old. Opinions?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you compromise and do concrete tiles? Just in case.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
How deep is the piping?

I used to work with commercial pools in MD/VA/DC area. All the piping was under the pool and concrete deck. Over a few years I probably dealt with a few hundred pools and can count on one hand the number of issues with lines underground.

With that said understand these where commercial pools. Many over 100,000 gallons and designed for pipes to run under the deck.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Or what about digging out the area, putting sand down and then installing patio blocks or bricks?

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you've lived there 5 years, plumbing is 5 years old and haven't had any pool leaks, it's probably safe to go ahead and do concrete over it. Stamped concrete is very popular here around pool decks.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of my piping is under the pool deck. The pool guys have been through the deck twice to repair leaks (actually broken pipes). Even though the subsoil is sand,this is an unpleasant job and expensive.
They try to make the hole as small as possible, but the pipes are down about 5' and that makes working in a small hole nearly impossible.

The leaks are caused, or at least exacerbated, by roots from the Live Oaks growing not far from the pool. If it was solely my decision, I would keep the Oaks and turn the pool into a sunken garden. SWMBO however wants both, so....

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
What kind of pipe? What size pipe? Can you sleeve it with oversized pipe and use poly in the future? Basically, I am proposing a tunnel in the concrete then repairs can be made in soil.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I have concrete over some of my pool pipes and have had no issues for 12 years now. Being in S. Florida you should have no issues unless you damage a pipe while excavating the slab area.

I would excavate, then run the pool for 24 hours prior to pouring to check for leaks.

To clarify, my pipes are under, not in, the concrete slab.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Part of the piping for my pool runs under 10+ feet of poured concrete deck and it was poured thick. The piping was dug into the ground and covered with earth before the concrete was poured.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Replace the pipe and put it in conduit, allow access at both ends and concrete away if you must.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another popular option here in Florida is to use pavers. They allow water drainage and you can pull them up and put them back if you need to.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The pipes are deep enough not to interfere with the laying of a pad, I have pictures somewhere from when it was built, just have to locate them. The wife really wants concrete, I wanted pavers.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
The pipes are deep enough not to interfere with the laying of a pad, I have pictures somewhere from when it was built, just have to locate them. The wife really wants concrete, I wanted pavers.

A happy wife is a happy life!

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

You got that right!

I was working down in Miami at Mt Siani last week, but ended up staying in your neck of the woods every night. There still is a big difference between Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Beth Greene

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I hear you about the wife, but putting pipes somewhere I can't monitor or repair them easily just gives me the creeps - especially if the ground seems likely to shift over time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You got that right!

I was working down in Miami at Mt Siani last week, but ended up staying in your neck of the woods every night. There still is a big difference between Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

If you're down this way email me and we'll meet up. Yeah, there's still a big difference between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but it's getting closer and closer unfortunately.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My pool was already here when I purchased this home after hurricane Andrew in 92' so it could be at least 25+ yrs old and the only leaks I've incurred was around the skimmer. And that was repaired almost 10 years ago. All my jets and returns are under concrete deck and good so far. I know this whole area is atop limestone ridges so the ground is very hard but pourous and water drains fast. I'd bet even when digging the hole for the pool originally took some time to get down deep in this limestone.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're down this way email me and we'll meet up. Yeah, there's still a big difference between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but it's getting closer and closer unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

In the past I've met Tommy quickly, good people as brief as it was. These days I'd like to meet up but, only the mind and heart is willing, the body does not sadly Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post