SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IPAD backup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IPAD backup Login/Join 
posted
What is the best, easiest way to back up (or down load photos) from iPads and iPhones? We have photos from three weddings, and a bunch of others.
Do we have to go through a computer to save on an external hard drive?

We do have an older HP laptop that we have used to backup in the past, I bet it hasn’t seen a startup in almost a year.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enabled family sharing. They just show up!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I typically use an image capture program and put them into folders while iPad or iPhone is hooked up to the computer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
When you connect your iPhone or iPad to a computer, you can go to it using Windows Explorer and it will show up in the list under “This PC”. Go to the name of your device and there will be the folder Internal Storage>DCIM> and then folders with your pictures. You can either cut or copy the pictures to whatever folder you want onto you computer’s hard drive and now you have them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
On the PC at work, I just plug in my iPhone and a window pops up with an import photos option or something similar, IIRC, it's been a couple years. From there I would just drag and drop to the PC. It's really very very easy. Once on the PC you can make backups to CD, DVD, flash drives or external disc.

The "best" backup is multiple methods.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You can use iTunes which is what Apple wants you to do.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If you connect your iThingy to a PC without iTunes open you should get a windows pop up with an option to download pictures OR your iThingy will show up under the MyComputer folder. Open it up and it will only give you your photos.

You can back them up to the cloud and then log into the cloud from your desktop and move the pictures to the hard drive.

You can use iTunes to download the pictures to your desktop.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use a computer. I have iTunes but use windows to pull the images off. You can set it to make a folder for every date, with the folder name being the date taken.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are you an Amazon Prime member??
Download the Prime Photos app and it saves them to the cloud.

If not plug into the PC open the iPad folder and drop into a folder on the PC. No need for iTunes.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks all. I was hoping there was a portable hard drive specifically for iPhone and iPad backup. I’ll dust off the old PC.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post