SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Copenhagen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Copenhagen Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lastly, I know I can't get complacent here.

Agreed. You are justified in being proud you have made it this far, but don't let up.

Over time you'll stop thinking about it - but every once in awhile you'll tell yourself "ah, just once wont hurt" because at some point in your life, it was just a passing fancy, easy to walk away from.

Don't give in. Ya done good - stay strong. Congrats!

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just checking to see how Cope is doing.
I have started my own journey to quit Skoal.

I was at the barbershop this afternoon, and one of the barbers spoke up and said he dipped for double digit years and got stage 3 throat cancer.

I enjoy this hot weather we are having, and I am out in it for hours and hours. Well I was relaxing in my lawn chair/fell asleep with a dip in and woke up later and my tongue was burning and my throat raw. So now I am freaking out that something is wrong. I was down to 2 a day but a bad couple of weeks and I was dipping 4-6 times in a 24hour period.

It is time to quit. I am fine at work all night when I am busy but It is the long drives and during the day working on the yard, fishing, etc.. that are hard on me. The big test will be the 6-7 hour drive to Cols, OH. next week.

I hope Cope is doing well, and good luck.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
On long drives I tuck peanut M&Ms in my cheeks like a squirrel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's good to be a quitter!

I quit cigs on 5/7/2007.

I quit alcohol last week.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Man, am I really approaching one year without a dip?!?!

Absolutely unbelievable. It’s been 337 days without a dip. So, yes, that’s 337 cans of Copenhagen I haven’t bought.

What a ride it’s been. I am so glad that habit is behind me. I still remain vigilant and aware about how real that addiction was and how easily I could fall back down that hole.

But I take it ODAAT! One. Day. At. A. Time.

I had lost 25 pounds the year prior when I quit drinking alcohol (today makes 602 days sober on that front) and I’ve gained 31 pounds since I quit dip ... what can i say ... I eat a lot more now Big Grin. But I’m 6’2” and 208lbs so not too bad.

Anyway ... I was just thinking about this quit and had to come find this thread. I get periodic emails from people here about how everything is going. It’s going great ... now.

It probably took three months to get any semblance of normalcy back in my life.

But man .. this newfound freedom is priceless.

I am today, and hopefully forever shall remain ... Copefree.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the anniversary!

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Congrats,

Im a dipper myself, sometimes looking to quit, mostly not ready yet.

Down here, you have saved about $1,850 in supplies (about $5.50/can). That will buy some nice new toys.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
HUZZAH! Nicely done Cope! Tomorrow makes 7months of no nicotine for me. I wouldn't worry about the weight thing. You'll probably be able to ease back down. I have gained a lot since quitting and I was going to try to get it off but decided that was too much at once. Nicotine first and weight second is the plan.

Congrats on your great accomplishment!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
An accomplishment to be sure.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Happy here for you bud. Go Mariner's! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Coo’

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am happy for you! So glad it has worked out.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Man, am I really approaching one year without a dip?!?!

Congratulations, CF!

quote:
I had lost 25 pounds the year prior when I quit drinking alcohol (today makes 602 days sober on that front) ...

And congratulations on that front, too!

I've never had much a problem with alcohol. I like a beer with dinner and the occasional spirit. I occasionally get to celebrating too much and over-serve myself. But...

My father was an alcoholic, I saw what that did to him and I ain't goin' there. About the beginning of the month, after my 68th b'day, I said "Ok, this weight's going to come off! Until it does: No more sugar and no more alcohol." Since then I can count on one hand each the number of alcoholic drinks I've had and the number of items with sugary content.

And it's working: Just the other day I could again comfortably wear my favourite carry pistol in its IWB holster Smile

quote:
... and I’ve gained 31 pounds since I quit dip ...

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this may well be the toughest battle. It's a double-whammy when you quit tobacco: Tobacco artificially raises your metabolism, so you lose that, and you find yourself looking for an oral substitute for the nicotine habit you had. It took me several years to get that under control and get my weight back down. The good news is: You can. (Fell off the wagon for a bit, but I'm gettin' it back under control.)

quote:
But man .. this newfound freedom is priceless.

I know the feeling Smile Quit cigarettes 7-1/2 years ago. Stopped coughing and wheezing long ago. After a year or two I found myself running out of muscle before running out of breath.

Well done, CF!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Well done.

One year !

Amongst other things I’m getting ready to quit for Lent.

Already warned my girlfriend that I’m going to be antsy for a few days while I decompress from the drug.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I know WHY...$$$$.

But to over simplify. WHY the hell are companies allowed to sell this addictive, harmful stuff?

Never saw skoal until I moved to Montana. I was shocked to see HS kids openly dipping and/or carrying a can of that shit in schools. That may have changed by now.

Had a friend who had to have most of his tongue and lower jaw removed, due to cancer caused by dipping. he is quite the sight.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
April will make 4 years for me. I sympathize on the weight issue. I am up probably 40 since I quit... I'm handling up on that issue this year.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was just telling a friend of mine about you last night! I’ll have to update him now and tell him it CAN be done. Congratulations!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post