SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Copenhagen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Copenhagen Login/Join 
Picture of Crob59
posted Hide Post
By the way
Your description of your withdrawal symptoms is completely spot on and well described.

It WILL get better!!

The older I get, the dumber everyone else gets!

Posts: 10 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: April 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Keep slogging through it. Don't even look back.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
A friend quit cigs awhile back,,, threw the cost of a pack in a jug. after a year he bought a snowmobile.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
I think I’ve been off 7 years after being in for 10. Skoal long cut.

Simultaneously the hardest and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

What helped me stop is actually not setting a date and taking a little time to not feel guilty about it. When I shed the constant guilt, I realized it was part of a cycle and I started to recognize other things about the addiction that I didn’t like that outweighed the pleasure I got out of it.

Now I’ve just got to get some gum recession work done to the tube of $7,000. Still expensive after the better part of a decade quit.

Your screen name was actually a bit of an inspiration a couple times. Like “man, that guy knows how tough it is”

You got this!

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Drive on

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Day 3, and I’m still Copefree. Cool

I woke up again multiple times last night. 11pm, 1am, 4am, and finally 7am. Each time I was up for about 20 minutes or so ... and I got on the internet to distract myself. There’s a great quit group I joined as well and that’s proving to be really helpful to me.

Here’s to hoping that today isn’t worse than yesterday — yesterday was absolutely horrid.

I already think I’m feeling better, though. Hopefully this stays true.

It’s crazy what happens when you main-line 150mg’s of nicotine to your brain, all day / every day, for a over decade and then all of a sudden stop it.

I’m feeling every bit of it.

But I’m Copefree, another day.

PS. Thanks for all of your input and words, guys. It’s encouraging.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great cope. My wife is a dental Hygienist and I can tell you from her experience you are making a great decision for you and your family. Make it stick brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
You got it bud! Day 3?! That's huge already. You'll be done permanently in no time!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Rock on, brother! Cool
I really believe cold turkey is the way to go.
Nicotine addition is a bitch, and the best path forward to is leave it behind. No crutches.

Hang in there, and maybe try some Z-quill to help you sleep all night. Works pretty good.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If you’ve got the time, several of my friends kicked tobacco habits by working themselves to the point of exhaustion in the gym when the cravings got bad.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Keep it up Cope!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
I did over thirty years ago. I had a white patch on my cheek. The dentist told me that if it became malignant that I would die. It was hard, I chewed a lot of gum and sucked on Jolly Ranchers. After I beat the habit, I could not chew gum. Good luck, you can do it.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

It’s well worth it to quit. Cold turkey is what worked for me as well (cigarettes).

I’d say in the 5 years it’s been, once 6 months had gone by, I have only craved them a couple of times a year. And it’s usually situational, like working late in the cold when it was always nice to light one up to break the monotony.

But I don’t miss the cost, the smell, the morning coughs, and the nicotine pangs when it’s been a certain amount of time and the body wanted more.

Good luck.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day 4 is underway.

I slept like crap last night. Went to sleep at 10pm, up at 12:30am.

Asleep at 1:30am, up at 3am.

Asleep at 3:45am, up at 6am.

This shit is driving me mad. But I am going to trudge on. Day 4, for the rest of my life.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You can do it.

No idea what you do for exercise, but adding some / more cardio to your routine may help with the sleep. And maybe a benidryl or NyQuil too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Cope - Be the Warrior. I look back at my withdrawal and laugh. You will too in the near future.

Put the money you are saving in a mason jar and prepare to buy your next Sig - or whatever floats your boat.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day 5 is here. I got my longest stretch of sleep yet last night — 5 hours!! From 11:30pm - 4:30am. That was needed.

Today is tough, man. I feel like absolute garbage his morning. The nausea is strong. And the brain fog is still thick.

When will I get some clarity?!?

Day 5 may be kicking my ass already, but I’m gonna take the beating nicotine free.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Copefree,

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Once again.

Drive on

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Cope ~ I've been sitting here, checking-in on your saga daily, but not saying anything...

The reason is that quitting is different for each of us, an individual Hell of sorts. You have been getting excellent tips and support from your "team" here!

Your description of getting the Nicotine monkey off your back is absolutely accurate; it is a Bitch!

The good news is: Statistically, you are just about to make your second breakthrough... Getting that better night's sleep was the FIRST, by the way! Cool

As was mentioned, the urges will still be there a week from now, the Second Breakthrough is that they will be less frequent, and gradually of lesser strength!!

One day, in the not too distant future, you will suddenly realize late in the day that you haven't had the urge at all... and that will begin to happen more and more frequently, until they fade almost completely.

You are a Winner already... now you just need to stay on the tracks and not be fooled by that nasty thought that will creep in: "Just one dip won't hurt."

As TMats says so succinctly: "Drive on"

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Every time you stifle the craving you win the skirmish.

Every skirmish you win makes the next one easier to win.

Drive On!

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post