SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Copenhagen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Copenhagen Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I chewed Skoal for 14 years. I loved it at the time, but quit due to some dental issues and glad I did. It was hard, very hard. I gained probably 50 pounds as there is no dessert or drink or candy that will replace it but I tried anyway. Long story short it will be hard but you will be happy you did it. I have been off nicotine for 11 years and don’t think about it now. The hardest part is breaking the habits you have. I would always have a dip when I went fishing or a long drive etc. always felt like something was missing. Get some sunflower seeds and get a new habit. Good luck!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Do it, do it now.

You’ll be glad you did.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
CopeFree -- You have the collective positive thoughts of the whole SIGforum population working for you. Please, do it now. Update us frequently. Let us know about your frustrations.

quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I quit smoking 6 days aago.... murdering someone would be easy right now.
Note to self: Remain safely in Florida until Kevin gets it under control.

My story: After smoking a pack of Marlboros / day for over 30 years, I ran out one morning about 2:00 am. I was at work, a supervisor had decided to make himself look good to management by committing to a crazy schedule for delivering a software product. We, the worker bees, would work until we started making stupid fatigue-induced mistakes, go home and sleep for a few hours, come back in and do it again.

This was in the old days when you could smoke at work. When I ran out, I walked down the aisle to the cigarette machine. Now, I was already pissed at our supervisor, but when I stood there looking at the vending machine and realized how much they were charging to sell me that fucking poison, I just saw red. That was November 1984. I never smoked again.

I admit that I would like to have an occasional cigar, but I'm sure that would lead me back to cigarettes. Just one, at first, then ...

On the other hand, there are times that I'm tempted to say, "I'm 81. My prostate cancer has returned after radiation failure. A cigar? A few cigarettes? What are they going to do -- kill me?" So far, I have not given in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking cold turkey. Just keep not using tobacco. Be tough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Having done neither I am curious. Which of the two habits is the harder to break, smoking or dipping?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can beat it but it is 100% up to you and nobody else. I had a 2 can a day Skoal habit for 30 years. I had tried to quit several times, but finally beat it about 7 years ago. It is difficult and you must arm yourself to the teeth for this battle. Here is what worked for me:

1. I am a faithful guy and it was time to stop being a wuss and start living my faith so I prayed about it. I always though that there was no way I could quit. I was too addicted. Then I started rehearsing this promise from the Lord: "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13. Period end of story. ALL things certainly includes quitting tobacco. I got it in my head that I can do this and got rid of all the doubt and negative feelings I had about quitting.

2. Financial motivation. Wrote down how much money I had spent on Skoal since I started. It came to about $100,000. Yes, $100,000. That is a LOT of my hard earned money I just pissed away. I sure could use that money now. Instead, I gave it away to make tobacco executives and shareholders wealthy and myself poorer. That $100k can send my daughter to college, pay off a house, etc... Then I looked at the money I would spend with the habit going forward 10 years. I would just get myself mad at big tobacco and say I am not paying those guys any more of my hard earned money. Why should I write them a check to send their kids to college instead of my own kids? No Way!!! I was done pissing my families money away.

3. I looked up the death rates for mouth and throat cancer. I looked at the statistics of those that chew or dip and those that do not. Which column of odds did I want to put myself in? I wanted to be in the column of the people that are least likely to get attacked by cancer.

4. I questioned myself on everything. Am I really a bad ass free American? Or am I a sheep being led just like everyone else. It sure is EASY to be just like everyone else. It is difficult to be different, but the rewards are huge. If I am hooked on something, I am not free and I am just like all the other sheep. I don't want anyone or anything to control me. Period. Bit guess what, when I analyzed it, I was completely being controlled by tobacco. Once you break it, the freedom part is incredible. I actually now have more family time. I don't have to rush off and have a dip if I am at a function. I can spend more time with my wife and not feel like I have to be in the other room so I can dip. I don't have to tell my son to hold on for 20 minutes while he is waiting for me to go play ball so he wouldn't see me dipping. No, I am not bound by the shame of having that crap in my mouth any longer and it is VERY Freeing!!! It has given me more time with my family and it has given me more productive time at work. It is VERY freeing when the habit is gone and opens up a whole new experience.

5. For me, the physical part of dipping was so strong, I needed a replacement. Just the physical part of having a can, the immediate reaction putting in a fresh dip, spitting, etc... it is hard to get rid of all this and the muscle memory of the physical act of dipping. What worked for me was a product called TEEZA. These guys make fake dip out of tea, and the flavors are awesome. I have tried all the different fake dip out there and these guys make a great product that comes the closest experience to dipping real tobacco. It gives you the burn like regular dip. Every time I would get the urge to dip, I would throw one of these in and it completely satisfied the physical cravings. But there is zero nicotine. After a couple of weeks I found myself reaching for it less and less. Now I may have one a couple times a month. I will get a can maybe when I go fishing or hunting just because I enjoy it, and that's ok. There is zero addiction. I highly recommend getting this product and using it as a replacement. https://teazaenergy.com

I hope this helps. Tobacco addiction is a serious thing and the health risks are huge. Make no mistake. It takes an all out effort to win this battle. All I can say is that if I can quit, anybody can quit! Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

www.SurvivalStraps.com Strength - Style - Purpose
Made in AMERICA!

Posts: 659 | Registered: September 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Quiting anything addictive is never easy but it can be done.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quit smoking 6 days aago.... murdering someone would be easy right now....

Keep going... we can do it together.

Today is supposed to be the day for me, got about five cigs left. Kind of worried about what to do when I run out.

Got a vape thingy but I hate it.

Good luck and welcome back.

====

Cope, good luck to you sir as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And another plus is you won't have to change your screen name!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I quit smoking 6 days aago.... murdering someone would be easy right now....

Keep going... we can do it together.
Today is supposed to be the day for me, got about five cigs left. Kind of worried about what to do when I run out.
Best wishes to you, Jesse -- I know that you can do it. If I did, anybody can.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Between your CUT and signature line, that's a good start.

My father chewed at least a can of Copenhagen a day for the better part of 50 years. Sometimes as much as 2.

It took a hospitalization with surgery (unrelated to the habit) to get him to quit. Tried cold turkey for the first few days and then one of my brothers had to inform the nurse of his nicotine dependence for a patch.

Got out of the hospital and recovered fully. Saw that as his sign to make a change. Used the patches for about a month along with a steady supply of sugar free-menthol type gum.

Has not touched the stuff in almost a decade.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've been hooked on both and cigs were much harder for me to give up. Both are hard to quit but every day is a wee bit easier. Just got to tough it out.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
smoked 15 years (took up dipping when we couldn't leave the ship to go smoke or the smoking lamp was extinguished)
dipped for several after that

tried to quit four or five times

then had to visit a gastroenterologist for GERD symptoms

doc said if I'd quit putting stuff in my mouth my stomach will quit making acid and burning holes in my throat and gut.

took me less than five minutes to make that choice...

it was hard

but I'm harder (and hard headed)

cold turkey was the path I chose and after two or three days I knew the nicotine was outta my system and the cravings were then merely in my head.

you can do it!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommended Nocorette gum. By design, you “chew and park” the gum between the cheek and gums like dip. It is perfect for dippers. In 1999, I was dipping a can of Kodiak and smoking a 1/2 pack/day and quit nicotine completely and permanently with Nicorette.

https://www.nicorette.com/products/nicorette-gum

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I wish you great success. However, I confess when I saw the thread title I thought you were about to move out of Denmark.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I wish you the best of luck. It does not necessarily have to be hard. I tried to quit 25 times, the 1st day and the 5th day were always hard and I would go back to it pretty quick. The last time I set a date 5 months ahead of time and prayed about it. The desire just went away and I was already in bed before I realized I hadn't had Copenhagen that day, and it was the day I had decided it gjve it up. That was Christmas Eve 1990, haven't had a cigarette or Copenhagen since.

I wish I could stick with some other decisions like that in my life! But that one seems to have stuck!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
If Dryft or Zyn nicotine pouches are available in your area, start with those. You still get the nicotine, but none of the carcinogenic tobacco. It's like using nicotine gum. That's what I and a few others i work with have done. If not available in your area you might be able to order them online.

Use those for a while and slowly ween yourself off.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I tried to quit 25 times,

I used to say, "quitting is easy...I've done it 100 times."

Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I quit alcohol cold turkey after building up my drinking to between a pint and fifth of [vodka/ JD/ insert poison here]. Been sober for 18 years. It can be done.

For me, there are two AA tenets that worked for me:

1. One day at a time. All you have to do is quit today. Tomorrow is another day.

2. Don't take the first drink/ dip. First leads to second, and so on. An alcoholic is never "cured", but always in remission. I expect most addictions are like that.

You can do this. Don't be afraid to reach out. I'm guessing anyone here on this forum with an email in their profile would be willing to help. You don't have to do it alone.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t recommend the method I used. Nothing says “Quit!” like gum surgery.

It’s a little thing, but have your teeth cleaned. Just helps keep you from putting tobacco in your mouth.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post