SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Copenhagen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Copenhagen Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
The time has come. I need to quit my Copenhagen habit.

I go through a can a day. Sometimes a bit more. And have for about 15 years.

I had ten wonderful months of freedom from this stuff back in 2005. That’s actually where my username comes from. I was free from Copenhagen when I created that name on a different forum years ago and just liked the name since.

I want that freedom back.

Who here has successfully quit?

I’m thinking I’m going to try to tackle this beast this week. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I told my wife that I’ll basically be extinct for 3-5 days while I deal with withdrawals. I’m not into the nicotine-cessation program. I just wanna go cold turkey.

I bought some of the fake stuff and it’s remarkably similar to the real-deal. It should help the physical cravings, some.

I need help building some confidence going into this quit. This quit will be one day at a time, forever.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Try beef jerky. It gave me the whang that I craved when I quit smoking. Going on 57 months now. Oh, and good luck.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I dipped Copenhagen for 20+ years.
I tried alternatives off and on.
I'd quit for a month, then start up again.

I'll admit that it's difficult to quit. The bitching of my wife didn't make me stop.

But, when my two oldest children (both girls, 15 months apart, and have totally different personalities), started crabbing at me on a daily basis, that was the motivation I needed.
We have six kids now, and I haven't had a dip of Copenhagen in about 14 years. But it's certainly not easy.
The two oldest girls are now 29 (as of 3/14) and almost 28.
I was honored to walk my oldest down the aisle a year ago, and got to dance at her Wedding!!

If you need some encouragement, my email address is in my profile.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Try beef jerky. It gave me the whang that I craved when I quit smoking. Going on 57 months now. Oh, and good luck.

Thanks. I’ll be stuffing my mouth with anything I can.

It’s really the mental side that I’m dreading — the anxiety / moods / brain fog / stress. My anxiety was off the charts for about a week when I stopped in 2005.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It's mind over matter. You can do it. Good luck.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This is what helped me.

Oregon Mint pouches

I was never up to the can a day stage, but one maybe two cans a week for twenty or so years. Went cold turkey with the help of these back in '05. You still have something in there, your breath smells great and minty, and they are easy in/easy out.

Good luck. Nicotine is an evil mistress. There are still times I miss it terribly. Smoking in particular (I did both for some time). I despise the smell of cigarette smoke, but there is just something about the high. That first cup of coffee in the morning, sitting out on the deck as the sun rises...DAMN! what a perfect time for a smoke or a chew. But...nope.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I dipped Copenhagen for 18 years. I was supposed to quit when I got married and lasted for 9 months. I hid it for years (like almost 8) and dipped at work or hid in the bathroom (pathetic,I know) at home to sneak a pinch.

I started having issues with my sinuses and lost my sense of smell for almost 6 years. Not a good situation to be in for a patrolman. After my third sinus surgery I finally told myself I was done. I blamed my sinus issues on the Copenhagen and used that for my motivation to quit (I have no idea if it was the cause) and I’ve not had a single grain in my mouth in over 3 years. Coincidentally my sinus issues have not returned and I regained my sense of smell.

Quitting was hard and I still crave it sometimes. I used Grinds pouches to get through a few tough times but I pretty much went cold turkey. I still miss it, but at this point I’m not going to give up the health improvements and go back to it again, especially now that it’s over $9 a can.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been clean for 10+ years after chewing Copenhagen and long leaf tobacco. I did a cold turkey quit, then tried nicotine gum, blech. I just kept my mouth full of gum, candy, food but mostly beef jerky.

You CAN do it.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Cold Turkey is your friend!!!!
Dip free since 2011.
One of if not the most addictive substance known to man.
Yep, quitting nicotine is a mind fucker.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Considering that nasty shit can and will eat your face off, I don't know what there is to think about.
quote:
I’m thinking I’m going to try to tackle this beast this week.

I noticed your CUT. All I'm seeing is a lot of talking, no doing. Don't think about it, don't do it "this week," do it now.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking 6 days aago.... murdering someone would be easy right now....

Keep going... we can do it together.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Kill the Beast!
Kill the Beast!!
Kill the Beast!!!
Do it Now!
Do it Now!!
Do it Now!!!

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit cold turkey Jan 1, 2000. My wife told me I could buy any gun I wanted if I did.

Her permission was not really needed but it was motivation.

Bought my 1st SIG.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And don't finish whatever, if any, cans you have left. Throw them out.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have cut down my habit.
I moved away from Cope to Skoal years ago.

I am slowly quitting, I have never been a can a day person. Maybe a can every 2.5 days.

I try not to rub at night since I am in the office off and on for 10hrs.

You can do it, it will take some focus and concentration but you will knock it out.

My first goal is to cut down my coffee intake. That is a harder habit for me to break than rubbing.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine having that shit in my mouth for 2 minutes let alone 15 years.

Do yourself (and your woman) a big favor and be successful getting off that stuff.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say try and downgrade to Snus, but you’re probably better off just quitting it all and sucking dealing with the withdrawals.

Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day, that should flush you out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started smoking when I was 14. Grew up with smokers and even though I caught some flak, by the time I was 16 I could smoke in the house. Hell I even got cigarettes in my stocking at Christmas.
Started Copenhagen when I was in the Marines. Smoked and dipped for more years but has smoking got more taboo (more and more public buildings couldn't smoke etc.) I eventually went to all dipping.
I tried to quit a couple of times, didn't last by a few weeks. The only reason, only reason, I was able to quit on June 5th, 2012 was my son. He was aware of what I was doing and started asking questions etc. I don't want to be the person who puts this monkey on his back, so after over 25 years of absolutely LOVING nicotine I quit. Haven't touched it since.

Worst was over for me in about a month. I ate the ever loving shit out of Starburst jelly beans. I gained about 20 lbs. I am so happy I stuck with it. I know me and know that I can't ever touch it, have a cigar, nada.

My email is in my profile, please feel free to reach out for support. I will pray for you. I am rooting for you. There is way more nicotine in a can of Copenhagen than in a pack of smokes. Its some seriously addictive shit. Feel proud every minute, every day, every week etc that you are off it. I used those as milestones and it worked for me. Example, I made it a day I can make two. Made it a week I can make another. Made it a month, I can make another etc.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Get a jar

Everyday put what you would have spent on Copenhagen that day in the jar, in cash.
You will be shocked how quick it adds up.

Then go spend your new found wealth on something fun.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you for trying. It is difficult to do but well worth it. I tried the long cuts for a while, Levi Garret and the like. One time, I had a guy I know made what he called a "Christmas Blend", as he put a little cinnamon and small slice of apple in the pouch to give it a little more flavor. I thought it was awesome and tried to do it myself at home with a pouch of my own. Well I left the apple in too long and I guess it fermented/rotted and I got sick as a dog. That was the end of my tobacco usage. Now coffee is another story.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post