SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson purchasing MSRP?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson purchasing MSRP? Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
Had a 1200 Sporty 21 years ago and have started looking into getting another bike. Specifically a new either 2020 or 2021 Street glide standard vivid black or Electra glide standard. I have never bought a new bike and can see MSRP on HD website. Do they, the dealership come down off those prices or it is what it is kind of thing. Want to be prepared when I go in. Thanks Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed recently they will not deal off of sticker price. Went into the local Harley Davidson dealership with cash money in hand but they refused to even talk about any deal. I was told that the sticker price was final and I could take it or leave it and that is exactly what I did by walking out and going to a different brand dealership and purchased a competators brand motorcycle at 1/2 the Harley price. Several times was at the HD dealership with friends and a salesman would try and approach me to sell me a new bike till I would tell them that they did not have a single bike on their property that would get me off of my Honda V-twin cruiser. That is my 2cts. ............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking to buy a Harley at a HD dealership?

Get ready for the HD sales circus.

Yes, the MSRP is the sales price and they might knock off 50 bucks if you kiss the sales managers ring.

Choose a bike, then get handed off to a parts man who will hand you an accessory catalog for you to pick out tons of chrome crap to add to the bike before you take delivery.

Then the finance guy takes a shot at you. Do you want an extended warranty, maintenance plan, tire warranty. Also, there the HD finance plan.

A smoking hot chick covered with Ink will try to sell you HD clothing designed to make you look like a pirate. Of course, anything with a HD logo cost 40% mark up. You'll get to pick a free $60 HD T-shirt.

When it's all done, your Harley Davidson motorcycle suddenly cost $5K more than you thought.

IMO, this is not a good time to buy a new motorcycle. Wait until December.

Did I mention the free T-shirt?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The only ways I have seen money off at power sport dealers are factory incentives, or hold over models that are last years (or older) model.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many HD dealerships will make deals off MSRP, but over the past year as HD inventory has declined in the dealer network, dealers are averaging sales much closer to MSRP than in recent years. So you most likely can negotiate something, but I wouldn't expect a huge discount. Many dealers will also negotiate higher trade-ins on used bikes, because that market is very hot, as well as cutting a deal on custom parts installed at purchase.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Indian Chieftan ('19 or newer). Better bike and last year Indian dealers were making deals. I haven't been keeping up lately on pricing though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be sniffing out HD for the Pan America but I dont do the "pay MSRP or hit the door" game. I have been able to own BMWs after they offered very lucrative incentive deals. If BMW can do it, so can HD.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas, I'm in no rush. I'm actually leaning a little more on the electra glide as it has less bells and whistles. Don't want or need extra chrome and my 22 year old leather jacket and vest still fits good and is in great shape. I have 2 HD dealers close to me one about 5 miles the other about 35 miles. The further away one has 2 new 2020 Electra glides in stock. Will see if the reply to my email inquire about price. Thanks Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I always negotiated for accessories, they always worked with me in that way.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:A smoking hot chick covered with Ink will try to sell you HD clothing designed to make you look like a pirate.

Big Grin

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Last Harley I bought listed at 36k, I got 7k off the top. IOf course, my wife did the negotiation. Poor little sales dude got chewed up.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My wife and I found ourselves in a Harley shop a few weeks ago, just looking. I appreciate Harleys, and I love to look at bikes, but they just aren't me.

That being said, I was surprised at how much they have dropped prices on their bikes. I always look at the high end touring bikes. Two years ago, easily $45,000+. But they had loaded models going for less than $34,000. Upgraded stereo, Screaming Eagle packages, etc... I'm always looking at bikes, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about MSRP. My wife and I play games, I tell her how much I think a bike costs, and she'll look at the price tag, and I'm pretty damn close.

If you've read or researched Harley's financial crisis, they are looking very hard to introduce new riders onto their bikes, as well as keeping existing customers. I don't know if I would finance through Harley though, they offer ridiculous loan offers, some up to 96 months. No clue what their interest rates are, but they show bikes "only $75 a month" for the next 8 years...

If you are in the market, now would probably be the time to look. But do your research. They are looking to sell, dropping prices significantly from what I have seen, at least in my area. I'm in western PA, so you may want to look at out of state options, if you live in a "hot bike market" area. Don't count out the used models. Guys who never rode bikes get sold on them, never ride them, and they have very low mileage. Harley's, if well maintained will run forever. You may even be able to get a limited warranty or something.

Shop around, don't jump on the first thing. I see used Harleys, less than 10 years old, 4,000 miles going for around $7000 by private sellers.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Right now inventory is tight, motorcycles are hit by the same chip issue for production, covid, parts, electronics etc.

Shop around FL dealers to see what you can get.

MSRP is what the price is now, not because the dealers have girls with tat's selling gloves, but because the market is hot, there's tons of money out there and inventory is low.

You know that capitalist Supply Demand, price thing.

OHD had a Panamera and sold it, that bike is going to sell fast, 150 HP, outside the box for a HD....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A bike is something you definitely want to buy used if you can, not in the spring time though

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I've bought a new Harley twice. First one I bought at the MSRP and that dealer never comes off of that. Ever.

I bought the second one from another dealer and the salesman dropped the price $3000 without a blink.

The rest of the deal went exactly as GWbiker described above. Free Tshirt was fine but I didn't go for anything else. No extended warranty or accessories. I was able to pay cash from proceeds of a real estate deal.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Electraglide standard is a good value, but does not sell as well as the streetglide. You have a much better chance at getting a deal on a standard.

I bought a new Electraglide standard in 1995, it was the first year for that model. I think it was $12000, great bike, I wish I never sold it.

Posts: 414 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
A smoking hot chick covered with Ink will try to sell you HD clothing designed to make you look like a pirate. Of course, anything with a HD logo cost 40% mark up. You'll get to pick a free $60 HD T-shirt.

There is a HD dealer right near my house. Maybe I'll drop in to meet this chick.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

There is a HD dealer right near my house. Maybe I'll drop in to meet this chick.
We're going to want to see pictures! Especially if you can convince her to lose the nose ring.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the dealership, bike, market and time of year you're in whether or not you'll pay less than MSRP. If you want a deal look for a leftover 2020 or maybe even a leftover 2019 these bikes are costing the dealership money every day they go unsold. Look at used bikes, lots and lots of used bikes on the market that are practically brand new because a guy thought he wanted a motorcycle, bought a motorcycle and then discovered he didn't really want a motorcycle so it sits in the garage for a few years before it finds its way back to the dealership. Don't be afraid to buy a bike from another state and ride it home because some dealerships will negotiate but they're not always in your backyard.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Oh, they're out there, in my experience, ready to chum up to an old fart with lots of free cash to throw around.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post