SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What type of earbud headphone does everyone like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of earbud headphone does everyone like? Login/Join 
posted
I would like to get opinions on what type of earbud style headphones everyone likes. I will be primarily using them at the gym. I had been using Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds without the built in microphone and they were great. Skullcandy stopped making them and now only offer the Ink'd earbuds with the built in microphone and the sound quality is horrible.

I really don't want to go through the trial and error of buying earbuds and not being able to use them because they suck. What does everyone like?

Posts: 77 | Location: Coopersburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been using a set of Sennheiser CX200 for years! $26 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennhei...s=sennheiser+earbuds

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Yurbuds Iron man. Good sound, although with my artillery ears I'm not the greatest judge of sound quality...im happy with LOUD. The fact that they stay in sold me.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I have these and love them for working out. You gotta charge them every other day but they sound great.
https://smile.amazon.com/TaoTr...bluetooth+headphones

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Jaybird Freedoms. I couldn’t pass them up at $49.00.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bought on recommendation here.
https://www.amazon.com/Phaiser...oth+headphones&psc=1

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I use Shure SE 215 and B&O Earset 3i.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
I have the beats X made by Apple - love them!

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by psp7304:
I would like to get opinions on what type of earbud style headphones everyone likes. I will be primarily using them at the gym. I had been using Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds without the built in microphone and they were great. Skullcandy stopped making them and now only offer the Ink'd earbuds with the built in microphone and the sound quality is horrible.

I really don't want to go through the trial and error of buying earbuds and not being able to use them because they suck. What does everyone like?

I've been using the $9.99 Skull Candy Jibs. They sound great for what I need them for. I wear them all day, everyday and I probably go through 2-3 pairs a year due to the cables being bent around, or being yanked out of the jacks a ton, eventually damaging the internal wire and losing sound on one ear. I just keep a new pair on stand by when they do go out.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Hate them all--they will not stay in my ears.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
I have these and love them for working out. You gotta charge them every other day but they sound great.
https://smile.amazon.com/TaoTr...bluetooth+headphones

I have the same ones. (TaoTronics)
I like the snug fit, both around and in my ear, and the sound quality.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using these for a while and they work great: https://braven.com/wireless-sport-earbuds.html

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My favorites for traveling and for when I want to shut the world out are the Bose noise-cancelling QuietComfort 20 (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/quietcomfort-20i-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones.html).

For active uses such as you mention, my favorites are Yurbuds (now owned by JBL). Guaranteed to never fall out. (https://www.jbl.com/jbl-sport.html).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Airpods.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Some kind of Bluetooth Bose tethered set I picked up a month ago. Sound Sport or something like that. Only got them because of a Best Buy gift card my brother gave me from last Christmas, and I didn't know what else to use it on. However I do like not having to be hardwired to my phone or tablet, but it took a bit to figure out which ear tips fit the best. Decent sound, though given my tinnitus that must be taken with a grain of salt.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I use cheap Skullcandy at the gym.
I've been eyeing the $30 knock off Airpods which are getting reasonable reviews.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Ultimate Ears UE10's. A bit bulky, but sound amazing

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Hate them all--they will not stay in my ears.

flashguy

Exactly the problem I have. If they don’t have over ear hooks I can’t use them.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I use exclusively around-the neck bluetooth ear buds.

I have the Phiathon BT-100 NC. I bought them at the airport last year when I forgot to pack my Walker's Razor XV BT ear plugs/buds. I was headed to Singapore and I wasn't about to be gone three weeks without my ear buds. I use ear buds every day at work, all day.

Both models are bluetooth and you wear them around the neck. Both models can be used for phone calls. Both models are good for jogging and gym work but both models will fall off the neck if you're laying on your back (bench press, stretching, etc...).

The Walker's are good for airline travel and loud machinery work to keep noise out. They're not noise cancelling; they are supposed to be electronic hearing protection for the range but they don't work well at all for that purpose. If you use the volume on either the phone or the ear buds, the volume resolution is the same; it's like pushing the same button. The battery only lasts about 4 hours and it takes nearly as long to recharge them. The charge lasts just enough to get me through listening to Brian Kilmeade and maybe half of Rush Limbaugh. By the time Hannity comes on, I'm burnt out on talk radio and its on to iHeart or iTunes.

The Phiathon's are my favorite. They actually are noise cancelling, but since they are ear buds and not full-coverage earphones, they can only cancel out so much. They are not meant to be used as hearing protection. I work on machines with constant noise and they muffle most of the humm but the big noise makers, like debris removal vacuum, can't be cancelled out. You have the option of turning the noise cancelling on or off. Turning it on burns more battery but I do turn it on if I decide to go to the break room and take a short nap.

The battery life on the Phiathon's is awesome! I can probably listen to 8 hours of talk radio and music before the battery runs low. Maybe 6 hours if I turn on noise cancelling. They charge really quickly, like in an hour or an hour and a half. The volume buttons on the Phiathon's works independently from the button on my iPhone. When I take a mid-day nap I turn on iHeart radio and tune to an easy-listening channel and have the resolution to turn my volume down to a whisper so I can sleep. I turn the volume on my phone to one click above mute and from there, I can use the volume control on the Phiathon's to turn the volume down even more.

With the Razor's, the lowest volume setting can sometimes be too loud to sleep with. In that case, I just turn it off but still wear them as ear plugs.

The bluetooth range on the Phiathons is better. The Walker's can cut in and out if you're outside and around power lines or if the phone is in your back pocket. I don't see that as much or at all with the Phiathon's.

Both models cost around $100. I've had the Walker's for maybe a year and a half or 2 years. I've had the Phiathon's since last October. Both have held up great with every day use.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Shure sound isolating

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post