SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work in Progress - A Comprehensive Guide to Electronic (and Mechanical) Locks on your Gun Safes, and Common Problems and Maintenance Concerns
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work in Progress - A Comprehensive Guide to Electronic (and Mechanical) Locks on your Gun Safes, and Common Problems and Maintenance Concerns Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to how that lock's working out, as well. Every time I blow the combination, opening my safe, I think "electronic." That's followed by "but electronics are the only ones you hear failure horror stories about, so no."

That redundant lock may solve my dilemma.

When it says "it can only be mounted as a right hand configuration," does that mean it can only be used on a door that swings open to the right?

ETA: I sent Ken an email, asking him if he'd give us an update.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
There is a Deadbolt version of the NL Redundant lock available.

Most “swing” bolt locks can be mounted left or right. The mounting is determined by how the safe’s boltwork interacts with the lock. For example, if the lock is mounted bolt down, safe boltwork will slide right to left, or vice versa. On a deadbolt lock, the handed-ness doesn’t matter because the bolt is drawn into the lock body before the safe handle is turned.

The NL Redundant swing bolt can only be used in a right hand configuration because the shaft connects to only one side of the lock body.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

I've an LG combination lock on a door that swings open to the right, so which one would I want?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I've an LG combination lock on a door that swings open to the right, so which one would I want?

It depends on how the lock is mounted, and the boltwork. In the image below, as the lock appears looking at the inside of the safe door, a Right Hand swing bolt is shown (swing, roto, pivot are the same):

Regardless of the lock's mounting orientation -- bolt up, down, left, or right -- if the safe boltwork engages the swing bolt in a clockwise fashion, it's a right hand. Counter-clockwise would be left hand.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Got it, s1. Thanks!

If I get sufficiently motivated (annoyed?), I guess I'll take the back off and take a look.

posted Hide Post
My AMSEC electronic lock failed after only 24 short years. Total junk.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had one on a brand new safe I delivered around Christmas that was dead out of the box.

So somewhere between 0 and 24 years seems to be the going lifespan. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Surely, you jest!

24 years is great for an e-lock.

I encourage every customer to replace e-locks that are around ten years old. In some cases, we were replacing them after only a few years (e.g. S&G 6120) because of potential motor failures.

RB

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
...sarcasm...

Yes.

RB

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
NL (LP) “Doomsday” Redundant Dual Lock

I wanted to talk a bit about the NL redundant combination lock. This is a fairly new lock (early 2017 release) that provides a UL Type 1 electronic lock and group 2M 4-wheel mechanical lock in a single package. It isn’t designed for all types of safes. Because it’s a handed swingbolt, it can only be mounted as a right hand configuration.

I haven’t used this lock as of yet. I’m hoping to show it to a customer in the next 2-3 weeks and I’ll provide some feedback once I have an opportunity to do so.

I just came across this thread and decided to post since I just happened to order one of these from MB USA yesterday.

I took the rear door panel off my 64 gun Tractor Supply Cannon first to, as best I could, to verify that the swap would even be possible. To verify there is enough metal to fabricate a new lock mount, tap a new screw pattern, drill a hole for the spindle, stuff like that.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the electronic lock appears to share the same form factor and screw pattern. The external thru-hole the wire was routed through, also appears to be aligned such that it will accommodate the new doomsday locks spindle rod.

It looks like this is going to end up being a 5 minute job. I'll have to drill/chamfer at least 1 hole, to prevent having to pass the electronic lead through the same hole as a moving part (spindle),

At worst though, it'll be an hour job requiring me cut out the old locks mounting face, and weld in a new piece with the correct screw pattern.

Best I can tell from pics though, the Rotobolt Doomsday and the NL rotobolt it's replacing share the same screw pattern.

Striker1, do you happen to know if the two locking mechanisms share the same screw pattern?

Ken, I'm very interested in getting one of these locks for my safe. I have a couple of questions maybe you can answer:
1. Are you hang with the lock?
2. From where did you acquire it?
3. Does it lock automatically when you close the safe or after a period of time?
TIA.

I dont understand your 1st question.

Its been working well for 9 months. So far, so good.

I got it from mbausa.com

The electronic part locks automatically when you rotate the deadbolt wheel into the locking position.

The manual dial requires spinning the dial after locking the deadbolt wheel.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up, Ken!

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
BTT just to keep this from auto pruning.

(It's just over a year old now)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As an update on the Doomsday lock, mine is now 2+ years without issue. I had been opening it via the dial about once a week but that has fallen off dramatically due to the ease of using the digital combo.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
What is the current ideal electronic fingerprint lock for Amsec?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

that's about what I got out of mine. But the old mechanical style is going on 30 with no issues.
I love the older Amsec mechanicals.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post