SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security cameras Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I want to add some security cameras to my house and i was looking at Amazon and there are about a million options, none from a name I recognize. I’m am hoping to get some personal experiences here.

I want a system that has at least 4 cameras now with the option of adding more later. All cameras will be outdoor. I want the system to record internally and I want to be able to monitor them from various smart devices both on and off the home network.

Anybody have any that they’ve bought and liked?

Oh, I don’t need the first 4 cameras wireless but I wouldn’t mind that option later when adding additional cameras.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in for my own interest as well. Curious.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
What I did is get some Hikvision cameras and a copy of Blue Iris software.

Update the firmware on the cams and you are GTG.

can you run cat-5 to the cams? wifi for security cams sucks.

Whatever you get, be sure they are IP cams and not the old analog CCTV cams from the last decade.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Gun Talk yesterday, Tom was promoting the Blink cameras...Blink is an Amazon company. The system looks pretty neat and user-friendly. Uses Wi-Fi to send signal to your cellphone.
I do not know anyone who has one but they look like a nice setup.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. That didn’t show up using when I searched several times using different key words.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Whatever you get, be sure they are IP cams and not the old analog CCTV cams from the last decade.

Yes, I can run cat5e for at least these first 4 cameras. I bought a 1000ft spool probably 12 years ago... there is a bit left. Hopefully enough for this.

I’m not familiar with Blue Iris but I’m not scared to dive into tech stuff. I used to work in a tech fields but it’s been a decade+. I assume it’s a software program that turns a desktop PC into the DVR machine? I’d have to get the computer... I don’t really have one that suits that sort of use.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
ok, then you can buy a PoE (power over ethernet) router, and then you just run the cat-5, and that's that. Smile

Be sure to buy PoE cams for those locations.

I went the computer & Blue Iris route. Others may prefer a DVR. I'm unfamiliar with the DVR's but Blue Iris has a lot of features such as e-mail or text alerts etc.

Blue Iris is free to try, so you can give it a go, and if you don't like it.... well, in your case, I guess you ended up with an extra windows computer Wink Smile But you can test out blue iris on a laptop if you have one.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I did when I upgraded from my analog video system. Researched quite a bit on cameras. PoE for the cameras so cat5 or Cat6 to every location. WAY better security and reliability compared to wifi cameras. Blue Iris offers tons of capability and support for a reasonable price. Had my new setup running a couple months with good success. I am amazed at the quality you can get out o a $200 and under camera.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:

Thanks. That didn’t show up using when I searched several times using different key words.

quote:

Yes, I can run cat5e for at least these first 4 cameras. I bought a 1000ft spool probably 12 years ago... there is a bit left. Hopefully enough for this.

I’m not familiar with Blue Iris but I’m not scared to dive into tech stuff. I used to work in a tech fields but it’s been a decade+. I assume it’s a software program that turns a desktop PC into the DVR machine? I’d have to get the computer... I don’t really have one that suits that sort of use.

BlueIris has a bit of a learning curve but if I can figure it out anyone can.
I bought my copy on Amazon and it was like $15 cheaper than BlueIris site. Then the mobile app is $10.

I have one Dahua camera and one Amcrest at the moment. All the rest I add will be Dahua. Except for the doorbell cam as it will be a Nelly’s as it is the only doorbell cam I have located that will play with BlueIris.
My Amcrest is a WiFi cam because of location. I have had zero issues with it but all the rest will be wired and the Dahua has a much better picture.
Has really good sound too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recommend staying away from the box sets at Amazon or the big box stores, and most anything WiFi. Most box sets are dumbed down and fixed lens cameras.

Dahua is the class of the field currently, HIK is the other good choice. Most any camera you buy in a store is made by one of these two and rebanded, but as mentioned, most rebranded are dumbed down.

The Dahua Starlight cameras are amazing. Dont get caught up in the megapixel race, a 2MP Dahua Starlight will put most 4,6,8 MP cams to shame at night. (I know it sounds counter intuitive but thats the way it is)

Good place to research is here:
https://ipcamtalk.com/

PS- HD analog is anything but dead or inferior to IP cams. Most associate it with old analog, however its anything but. HDCVI (HD Analog) by Dahua has cameras up to 4K and rival anything you're likely to afford in an IP cam and can be run using just about any kind of cable, including Cat5/6

HDCVI Starlight cams below, make sure and change the Youtube player to 1080p

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

My Amcrest is a WiFi cam because of location. I have had zero issues with it ..........

Question: What resolution and frame rate do you run the Wifi cam at, and does it cut out now and again, or is it solid?

My 4k wifi cam cut out now and again, even at 10 fps, so I wired it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

My Amcrest is a WiFi cam because of location. I have had zero issues with it ..........

Question: What resolution and frame rate do you run the Wifi cam at, and does it cut out now and again, or is it solid?

My 4k wifi cam cut out now and again, even at 10 fps, so I wired it.

I have it at 1080p and 15fps.
I have it set to alert me if it looses signal for more than 2 minutes. I have had it for maybe 2 years now. I have not had it loose signal long enough to send an alert.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
Recommend staying away from the box sets at Amazon or the big box stores, and most anything WiFi. Most box sets are dumbed down and fixed lens cameras.

Dahua is the class of the field currently, HIK is the other good choice. Most any camera you buy in a store is made by one of these two and rebanded, but as mentioned, most rebranded are dumbed down.

The Dahua Starlight cameras are amazing. Dont get caught up in the megapixel race, a 2MP Dahua Starlight will put most 4,6,8 MP cams to shame at night. (I know it sounds counter intuitive but thats the way it is)

Good place to research is here:
https://ipcamtalk.com/

PS- HD analog is anything but dead or inferior to IP cams. Most associate it with old analog, however its anything but. HDCVI (HD Analog) by Dahua has cameras up to 4K and rival anything you're likely to afford in an IP cam and can be run using just about any kind of cable, including Cat5/6

HDCVI Starlight cams below, make sure and change the Youtube player to 1080p

^^^ This

Everything 'bigredfish' posted is spot-on!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the Ring stick ups. Quasi reliable at best

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dahua is the class of the field currently, HIKvision is the other good choice.

Actually they are just the two biggest mega manufacturers from China.
Both have serious security flaws, both make some decent products albeit those who are serious about security products use other brands such as Axis and others.
They are priced extremely well.

quote:
HD analog is anything but dead or inferior to IP cams

Yeah, not exactly a fair or accurate statement but true not dead.
There is SO much more to a security solution than just the camera technology.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post