SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's Prettiest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Prettiest Aircraft Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
How about showing this little Boeing Pursuit some love?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
Since a number of you folks like the "Connie", I thought that you would like to know that one of the remaining planes is being restored near my home. The Auburn, Maine airport has had a special hanger built just for this restoration and the plane will be used in Europe for expensive tours. I had the privilege of having a personal tour of the operation, and got inside the plane. It's an amazing endeavor to say the least. Here are a couple of links to it.

http://www.conniesurvivors.com...iner_update-2016.htm

https://www.airspacemag.com/hi...starliner-180960064/

We have one of the remaining few in flying condition at the airline museum at the down town Kansas City airport. It was restored to look like an old TWA connie. It was used in the movie the aviator and several other movies.

They rarely fly it any more due to insurance costs.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So many awesome choices...I love the Concorde, the Blackbird, the Lancer, and so many others. I was really into aviation back in High School, and that was a great time to be. The Blackbird is gone now, so is the Concorde, along with many others. I got to see an SR-71 on Friday at the Nebraska air and space museum...every time I see one I wish I could have seen one fly (interesting side-note...they also have an Avro Vulcan on display...not many of those around on this side of the pond).

Here's one of my personal favorites that I don't think has been mentioned yet...the TU-154. Growing up in central Europe, these used to fly in over my school every day. It's basically a ruggedized version of the 727...louder than hell, and they'd leave a smoke trail for miles. They are way less common on routes outside of Russia these days due to safety and environmental concerns, but I always loved watching them.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I got to fly in a Connie across the country when I was about 10. I got a little gold-colored "captain's wings". Newark to SFO with two stops, Chicago Midway and Kansas City IIRC.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Once back in the 1950s I guess my dad had to fly to Detroit. Thank gawd my mother couldn't drive so my grandfather drove my dad and the whole family to the airport. We watched my dad get on the plane and then some guy at the gate explained it was a "Connie". That meant nothing to me at the time. But it looked sleek and fast as it took off.

My grandfather who had never flown and never wanted to, did explain that my dad was in Detroit before we got home. Given his driving pace, Dad could have been in Los Angles before we got home. When dad got home, he confided he would have rather driven. After that, whenever one crashed, which seemed pretty regular, he'd point out the danger of flying. He said bombers back during the war seemed safer.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I got to fly in a Connie across the country when I was about 10. I got a little gold-colored "captain's wings". Newark to SFO with two stops, Chicago Midway and Kansas City IIRC.

My granddad would often take my brother and me to Houston airport, now Hobby, in the evening to watch airplanes come and go. We'd stand on the roof observation deck of the art deco style terminal now being restored on the west side of Runway 17/35, and watch arrivals and departures, many of Connies, or at least those are what I remember. A couple of times, he would arrive or depart, very exciting!

Hughes had something to do with the Connies, and my granddad was a Hughes manager.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

I swear, that's the plane that Pete Bowers was dreaming of when he designed the Fly Baby, perhaps my favorite Homebuilt. I actually helped restore one in the late-1970's.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Antonov 225 in that ponderous aerodynamic Sumo Steroid overdose sort of way

I've parked next to them in a few countries here and there. Big.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

I swear, that's the plane that Pete Bowers was dreaming of when he designed the Fly Baby, perhaps my favorite Homebuilt. I actually helped restore one in the late-1970's.
To me The Fly Baby, especially in that paint scheme, looks like a PT-19.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
You're right! I have 2.7 hours logged in one of these >

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I love...Stukas...(though anybody calling a Spitfire ugly is beyond help).

When I was a kid, Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry had both of them hanging from the ceiling, the Spit attacking a diving Stuka. Quite a sight for an early-post-war kid who loved WWII fighter planes.

Still do.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
To me The Fly Baby, especially in that paint scheme, looks like a PT-19.

Ever see a Spezio Sport, this one with a radial engine and modified tail?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Having flown in one a few times, and watched them, I'm a great fan of what must be the definitive pretty/ugly airplane of all time, the Fi156 Fieseler Storch.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post