SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's Prettiest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Prettiest Aircraft Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I can't believe no one posted this. Y'all fail!

Well, her nickname BUFF kind of contradicts "prettiest", but I like her a lot. My favorite, though is the F-15.

Growing up in Viet Nam during the war, nothing are more beautiful to me than the Phantom F-4, the Skyraider, and the B-52.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I was always partial to what Missouri fielded during the bulk of my living years. The Missouri National Guard's F-15s out of Lambert and the B2 out of Whiteman AFB.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Commercial:

Yep. A gorgeous plane. Would love to take a ride in one of these.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I can't believe no one posted this. Y'all fail!

Well, her nickname BUFF kind of contradicts "prettiest", but I like her a lot. My favorite, though is the F-15.

Growing up in Viet Nam during the war, nothing are more beautiful to me than the Phantom F-4, the Skyraider, and the B-52.

And I'll go toe to toe for as long as I have breath with anyone who says we "lost" Vietnam, having known you, David Troung, and many other friends I have made over the past 40+ years.

Every life bought life for many people, and without exception, none I know, or have known, is anything but grateful for it.

(sorry for the drift)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My picks are the F-80/T-33, F-86, and P-51.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've always been a fan of the F-18

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I've always been a fan of the F-18

Me too! Big Grin

Another pretty airplane is anything that can pass gas when you're far from home.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
F7F Tigercat

Oh yeah!

Ill add:

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
For me it's the T-38/F-5.

I first saw T-38s at an airshow as a kid. One on static display, the rest being flown by the Thunderbirds. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen, and it got me started on wanting to be a pilot.

Although I did wash out of pilot training before getting into the 38, I scammed my way into a ride in one with the 560FTS Chargin' Cheetahs.

This is still my favorite paint scheme for that plane:

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2rr9e8h.jpg
Definitely cooler looking than the F-22, but unfortunately for Northrop/McAir they didn't pick based on looks.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2rr9e8h.jpg
Definitely cooler looking than the F-22, but unfortunately for Northrop/McAir they didn't pick based on looks.

My understanding is cost and low speed performance were the deciding factors, although the 23 was arguably the superior ship.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These were the prettiest in their day.

ME-262
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...seum_of_the_USAF.jpg

Arado 234
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ile:Arado_234B_1.jpg

Horten Ho 229 - only 2 ever built and one crashed on it's 12th test flight. The first true flying wing. The father of the B2 40+ years before the B2.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/w.../Horten229-SDASM.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Smithsonian_rear.jpg

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Arado 234
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ile:Arado_234B_1.jpg
I'll concede that the Me262 is beautiful. However, although it's obviously a matter of opinion, when it comes to multi-engine aircraft of that era, these three best the Arado in my humble opinion:

de Havilland Mosquito:

Lockheed P-38 Lightning:

A-26 Invader:

Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Avro Vulcan:

B-47 Stratojet:

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
First World War aircraft don't seem to be getting much attention.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
First World War aircraft don't seem to be getting much attention.

Only because I couldn't find a good picture of an airborne SPAD XIII. I guess this will have to do:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
If we're going back to WWI, these two deserve mention:

Sopwith Camel:

Nieuport 28:

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Antonov 225 in that ponderous aerodynamic Sumo Steroid overdose sort of way

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since a number of you folks like the "Connie", I thought that you would like to know that one of the remaining planes is being restored near my home. The Auburn, Maine airport has had a special hanger built just for this restoration and the plane will be used in Europe for expensive tours. I had the privilege of having a personal tour of the operation, and got inside the plane. It's an amazing endeavor to say the least. Here are a couple of links to it.

http://www.conniesurvivors.com...iner_update-2016.htm

https://www.airspacemag.com/hi...starliner-180960064/

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Of course, my taste may be suspect, as I always found the Phantom II to be a sexy bird, in a junkyard dog sort of way.

My all time favorite!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post