SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's Prettiest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Prettiest Aircraft Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My FBO in NJ had one right after he sold his P-51. Taxing that thing was a real handful.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here are 4 I like

DeHavilland Beaver

Lockheed P2V Neptune

Viper

Pretty is as pretty does

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Here are 4 I like

DeHavilland Beaver

I love the DeHavilland Beaver, it is my favorite private plane.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Another P-38 variant, the F-82 twin mustang.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Dornier 335 Arrow!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those among us with glider ratings, I give you the Schleicher ASG-29.
Hey, it's an aircraft, nobody said anything about engines.
(Sorry about the size, I don't know what I'm doing)

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Some VERY strange choices for "prettiest" aircraft here. Scratching my head at the crop dusters, for example. My idea of beautiful aircraft certainly includes these rare birds:

English Electric (later Martin B-57) Canberra

Hawker Hunter

DeHavilland Dragon Rapide

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The Brits built them the best.....

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX

DeHavilland Mosquito

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
This is the most beautiful plane ever built!

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Don't forget the Northrop T-38 Talon:

one of these days I will buy one

I've always wanted either a T38 or the F5E variant, coke-bottle tip tanks and a centerline tank.

Put your money where your mouth is, nhtagmember Cool :
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/...2079&s-type=aircraft

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL. Prettiest, not most functional. I love the Four Fans of Freedom but pretty she ain't.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
And to add content - it has already been mentioned, but damn this is one sexy bird.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me:
P-51, B-17, ME-109, Spitfire, C-47, F-16

And I freely confess to you all, since I know you will keep it to yourselves:
The sight, sound and smell of a B52 gives me a chubby. An "elephant walk" is a beautiful thing.
And for me the true airborne symbol of freedom and rescue: The C-130.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL. Prettiest, not most functional. I love the Four Fans of Freedom but pretty she ain't.

Hey, I think she's gorgeous.

She's not a spoiled scrawny size 0.25 runway model; she's a beautiful, muscular girl who works a manual labor job for a living (or maybe the airplane version of Christina Hendricks).

I love A-10s, most Soviet stuff (that Antonov AN-22 in the 'ugly plane' thread is a favorite of mine), C-130s, BUFFs, Stukas, and a lot of the 'ugly' planes in the other thread. Just like with women, there is no universally-accepted criteria for beauty (though anybody calling a Spitfire ugly is beyond help).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
My dad introduced me to his favorite, the P-38. During WWII, he and his brothers would wag school, to listen and watch Lightnings flying in and out of Essendon airport, Victoria, Aus.

For me, it's late 50's jets, like the F-104 and later the Phantoms ...

F-104

[furlough]
+1 for the Hustler ... great pic to share!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Recently saw a Starfighter at the Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor--along with a lot of other beautiful planes. Dang those stubby wings are short!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I love...Stukas...(though anybody calling a Spitfire ugly is beyond help).

When I was a kid, Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry had both of them hanging from the ceiling, the Spit attacking a diving Stuka. Quite a sight for an early-post-war kid who loved WWII fighter planes.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I went to the local airport, when you could park right in front of the terminal. I didn't know it but they were having an airshow. I heard this ungodly roar and when I looked toward the terminal, from behind it emerged a B1 bomber taking off right in front of me. I remember going, " Oh, my God!" Photos of it are deceptive because the shape is that of a jet fighter rather than what we think of as the shape of a bomber. When you see it in person, it looks like a massive jet fighter. Beautiful plane!

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post