SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's Prettiest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Prettiest Aircraft Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
In contrast to this thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1300010134

A thread for the best looking aircraft.

Commercial:
Boeing 747-8

Concorde

Military:
P-38

SR-71

Gen Aviation
Beechcraft Starship

Cessna Citation X

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Concorde was an awesome looking aircraft, and the SR71 can't be beat for elegance of design

you picked the Beech Starship and I would agree that it has great lines - lousy performance but great lines. The Piaggio Avanti I think got it right

I recall seeing a Starship for sale - it was going for the paltry sum of $100,000...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably can't actually happen, but I think I'd always be worried about a prop strike on take off with the Starship.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the various Lockheed Electra and Constellation models. And the de Havilland Comet is beautiful, IMO:

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I can't argue with any of the ones posted above. In addition I have always loved the Piaggio Avanti.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

For me, it's the F4U. P-38 and P-51 are right up there tho. Pretty much any WWII fighter, really.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see a Citation X I can't help but think...Damn, that thing is all ate up with motor!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
In contrast to this thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1300010134

A thread for the best looking aircraft.

Commercial:

Concorde

Military:
P-38

SR-71

No argument from me.

My first thought when I saw the thread title was the P-38. Although the SR-71 is a fine looking plane as well.

And, I've always thought the Concorde was a stunning aircraft.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Of course, my taste may be suspect, as I always found the Phantom II to be a sexy bird, in a junkyard dog sort of way.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Saw this on the ramp at KOXC a few years back.

I like Corporate Jets:

Gulfstream G550

Falcon 900LX

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Of course, my taste may be suspect, as I always found the Phantom II to be a sexy bird, in a junkyard dog sort of way.

The F-4 Phantom...put two J79 engines together and even a brick will fly!

I would add the P-51 Mustang.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
For me, it's always been

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Let me add the Beech D17 Staggerwing:

Beech D17 by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post

But I'm biased... Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the SR-71 and the Concorde.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Dassault does make some pretty business jets.
The Staggerwing is a looker too.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I can't post photos from my phone, but I've always thought the Grumman X-29 was a killer jet design. Something about those forward swept wings (and being the inspiration for a GI Joe plane didn't hurt).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My grandpa always loved the Spitfire. He got me a little metal, scale model of one as a kid that I'd fly around the house making it shoot at my army men and other toys. I'm sure I still have it around here somewhere...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ The Spit & Mustang get an honerable mention for me. The P38 has always been my favorite prop-powered warbird of that era.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Sexy Connie...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post