SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia dad forces 'bully' son, 10, to run to school in rain after being banned from bus
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia dad forces 'bully' son, 10, to run to school in rain after being banned from bus Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Don't know what anyone is complaining about?
We all walked two miles in the snow as a kid and our parents walked the same four miles without shoes. Eek

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
How he parents is none of my business but if he goes public he makes it everyone's business. I'd be curious to know if the lad still has his cell phone, ipad, video games, etc. If walking to school is the only punishment he's a pretty lenient dad to me.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Don’t be a friend, be a parent. That’s what children need.....”
As someone who's coached for many years and seen this firsthand, truer words have never been spoken. When parenting is done right, its never simple or fun, but it is the most important thing in your child becoming a good person.

quote:
“So bully your kid to teach him not to bully lol,” one post read. “Have you ever looked the kid in the face and had a long conversation with him about why he is acting the way he is acting. Find out where he learned to be a bully to begin with.”
Spoken by someone who likely has no children. Some behavior requires dialogue, while others require swift and decisive action.

And those here who quote the "punish in private" mantra, that doesn't always accomplish the desired outcome. When I coached I used to punish players who misbehaved, refused to listen, or challenged me on requirements with push ups, sit ups, or laps around the field, or sent them home outright. Most of this was carried out in front of the other players and parents for a reason, and with very few exceptions, it worked in stopping bad behavior. Sometimes embarrassing the hell out of little Johnny is the only thing that knocks him down enough pegs to open his mind to something else.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post