SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recognizing The Men In My Life When My Father Was Elsewhere
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recognizing The Men In My Life When My Father Was Elsewhere Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
It's Fathers Day. I am certainly thankful for the influence of my father. But, time with Dad was limited, due to circumstances beyond my control. Today I wanted to say Happy Fathers Day to men who made a difference in my life when I needed it most. Buster and Kenneth hired me and showed me what real work is, at Cloverleaf Servicenter. Lawrence Dysart, my Big Brother, spent time with me for years and exemplified godly living in a covenant marriage. Bob LaForge, Uncle Bob, gave me a vision of excellence in engineering and applying these skills to everyday life. Without these men I wonder where I would be today. Thanks to my Heavenly Father for providing these men, who by example and counsel influenced me greatly.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
well said.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
My dad was a great father and positive role model while growing up. He was smart enough to know that dads can't be everything to their sons, so he made sure that I spent time with his friends who could teach me things he never could. These men were outstanding mentors to me, and I am a much better man today because of them.

Thanks, Dad. And thanks to my mentors too.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen friend.

I spent yesterday with my dad and told him how much love him etc. I will call a couple of older men today who also had a positive influence on my life and say thanks.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Those of you whose fathers are still with you, take a minute to communicate with them today if you can't be with them.

My father died when I was very young, just a few months after Pearl Harbor Day (my last clear memory of him was on that day).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had a huge influence on me. I am very grateful that he was part of my life. I'm pushing 60 and I still wish he would be around when I need some sound advice. The best I can do is try to figure out what he would do in difficult situations. I miss him. Now I'm going to the daughters house for a family get together. I hope I can have the same positive influence over my kids and grand kids.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never met my biological father, he waited to late to pick up a telephone. My stepfather was a good man and taught me a lot of what I needed to know in life. He was taken way, to early, he died when I was in college. My mother has been with her de fecto husband for 20 years or so.

He taught me how to work on cars and fix things. Has always been there for me or my Mom and is a genuine good person. I often wonder if I should pick up the phone and call him to say thanks. I never know what to say to him, and I think it would be awkward.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Its only awkward if you make it awkward. Just tell him you wanted to wish him a happy fathers day. That may get the ball rollin.

This is my first father's day without my dad around. He has been sick the last few years and I started picking up the slack, hosting get togethers and bbqing and welcoming all the mixed families into our home. I was fortunate enough to spend the last couple years really close to him as my mom and him needed help with dr visits and things done around the house. So i got to know him as a friend and not just my dad. Found out how much we have in common, and I try my best to be the same kind of dad (and stepdad to 2 little girls who do not know their father). Give him a call. It might make his day.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I often wonder if I should pick up the phone and call him to say thanks. I never know what to say to him, and I think it would be awkward.
Yes. Call him. If you think it would be too awkward, send him a card as an ice breaker.

As I said above, I never really got to know my father. My step-father, on the other hand (my mother re-married seven years after my father's death), I got to know him all too well. He managed to hide his true nature until after my mother married him. Abusive alcoholic son of a bitch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I often wonder if I should pick up the phone and call him to say thanks. I never know what to say to him, and I think it would be awkward.

At times I call my older brother and wish him Happy Brother's Day on Father's Day. Our Dad past away from cancer when I was in the 5th Grade. So my brother was an important part of my life and I was that rotten little brother.

He is almost like a second dad to our kids. He has never been married and has no kids.

Call him and say Happy Father's Day, send him a card even if it is late.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post