SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who likes Rolex watches....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who likes Rolex watches.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I believe the proceeds went to Newman's charity.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife does but not that much. Did you look at some of the prices other watches sold for at that auction.

An Omega Speedmaster from 1958 just sold for over 275,000 dollars at a different auction. This was reported as the highest price paid for that style Speedmaster ever.

Some people just have that kind of money and good for them.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I read an article about the watch a couple of months ago. When Paul Newman saw his daughter Nell's boyfriend didn't own a watch, he unstrapped this one from his wrist and gave it to him. The boyfriend eventually broke up with the daughter, and just wore the watch daily, until a Japanese guy told him, "That's a Paul Newman watch." The guy thought, Actually, this is THE Paul Newman watch. He put it up for auction, saying, in the article, at least, that most of the money would go to Paul Newman's daughter's foundation The Nell Newman Foundation. From the New York Times:

"Regardless, Newman apparently thought so little of this horological treasure that he gave his away on a whim. In a story that is quickly becoming a watch nerd’s version of Genesis, Newman casually handed over the watch to James Cox, Nell’s college boyfriend at the time, one muggy summer afternoon in 1984.

“As far as he was concerned, it was a tool,” Ms. Newman said. “He definitely didn’t have a strong attachment to things.”

In an interview, Mr. Cox said he was helping repair a treehouse on the Newman property when the blue-eyed actor approached and asked the time. “I said, you know, ‘a hair past a freckle,’ or some comment meaning ‘I don’t have a watch,’” Mr. Cox, now 52, said. “To which he replied: ‘Well, here, here’s this watch. If you remember to wind it, it tells pretty good time.’”

And it did, for the next decade or so, as Mr. Cox wore it daily, whether gardening or doing light construction jobs, thinking it was really valuable only to him, for sentimental reasons."

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No thanks.

Rolex watches are not my style, at all, not even for $1000.

This one isn't too bad, but most are far too ornamental - even gaudy - for my tastes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Even if I was a collector of Newman memorabilia, I just couldn't see myself almost draining my savings account for it. Wink

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
No thanks.

Rolex watches are not my style, at all, not even for $1000.

This one isn't too bad, but most are far too ornamental - even gaudy - for my tastes.
I have a plain Jane, stainless steel model. Not at all gaudy. A gift from my wife, who knows that I don't like flashy stuff. Even my SIGs are black, not shiny. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I bumped into Paul Newman in NYC in 1986, literally. My shoulder caught his shoulder walking opposite directions on the sidewalk. I said, "excuse me" without realizing who he was until he turned, waved and replied, "no problem".

I'm thinking I should sell my shoulder.

I'll start the bidding sight unseen. I hope its the right shoulder, as mine has been going downhill for awhile. How about a dollar to start?

"Ohhh, Paul the Newman!!" Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do but can't afford one.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I wonder if Rick from Pawnstars bought it! Big Grin

Only after he called in a buddy of his to check it out!

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a sumbmariner but don’t want to spend 8k on a watch. I will stick with my Hamilton and tag.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I would love to have a sumbmariner but don’t want to spend 8k on a watch. I will stick with my Hamilton and tag.

I've had a Tag for about seven years, but pulled the pin and bought this 2001 Submariner a few months ago (Used) for a lot less than $8k. It doesn't have the "Newman" provenance, but (IMHO) looks as nice or better and I saved more than $17.75 million! (Paul Newman's Daytona is pictured below, as is my lowly Submariner. Wink)

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos

You know, I hope, that's Bo Diddley with Aykroyd. As for the Rolex's, in 1974 my wife bought me a new stainless Daytona for $475. About 20 years later, I sold it for $3500. Last I heard, they were going for $15-$20K. Oh well! As I type this, I have on my wrist, a GMT II, that I bought for $1600 so I didn't do to bad on that one. I've always said that, the way to tell a fake Rolex from a real one is that the fake one keeps time.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess someone doesn’t have a cell phone, I haven’t had a watch for about 10 years, my phone displays the time, day, date, and year, aren’t flip phones wonderful.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

You know, I hope, that's Bo Diddley with Aykroyd.

You don’t know Bo?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Old time hockey? Eddie Shore?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You don’t know Bo?

Hahahaha! I know Bo! Yes, that's Bo Diddley with Aykroyd, but that's not the Bo I know.
I sat a row over from Bo Jackson in a Geography class at Auburn..... Bo KNOWS Geography! Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
quote:

You don’t know Bo?

Hahahaha! I know Bo! Yes, that's Bo Diddley with Aykroyd, but that's not the Bo I know.
I sat a row over from Bo Jackson in a Geography class at Auburn..... Bo KNOWS Geography! Wink

I saw Bo a few weeks ago in McComb Miss.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bo Diddley, AKA, Ellis McDaniel. Cool cat. Met him a few times, had all his records. The pawn shop bit is interesting because Bo used to do radio commercials for a local pawn shop.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I've been following the Newman since they found it. Absolutely amazing price. I think it is a nice looking watch. Most Rolex's to me seem too gaudy, especially anythjng with yellow gold. Yuk. Way to 70's. I prefer the Omegas but there are definitely some nice Rolexs out there.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post