SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nanking: How Westerners saved thousands of civilians during the Japanese invasion: Film
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nanking: How Westerners saved thousands of civilians during the Japanese invasion: Film Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I found this on SnagFims, a documentary, as told through various actors and actresses , about how 15 Westerners in Nanking established a Safety Zone, shielding many Chinese from death.

A long film, but filled with actual scenes, showing the brutal atrocities the Japanese Army did to the people in Nanking.

Perhaps not the usual Sig Forum fare, but worth a watch to learn how horrible that event was.

The link to Snag Films and Nanking:

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/nanking

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Lee is from Nanjing (formerly Nanking). I'll be going there for the fifth time in a few weeks. If you ever get there, you must visit the museum on the massacre. It's excellent. Ditto for Iris Chang's book.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I was surprised at how much film footage was shown. I would think most was filmed by Japanese cameramen. However, you would think they would not want to have had those killings recorded.

To Rick Lee
Hope you have a safe trip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I would think most was filmed by Japanese cameramen. However, you would think they would not want to have had those killings recoreded.

My guess is that since they were confident in their ultimate victory, no need to worry about the repercussions. This was years before the possibility of a true "world war" against formidable enemies was even on the Japanese radar.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I watched the complete film. It was truly a grim and gruesome event showing how cruel the Japanese were during that period in time. The citizens of China had no way to protect themselves. The amount of firearms in the hands of our citizens at the time was one of the deciding factors not to invade our country by the Japanese.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my time in Korea (1958-9), I spoke with many Koreans who suffered during the 40 year Japanese occupation of Korea.

None had anything good to say about the Japanese.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
During my time in Korea (1958-9), I spoke with many Koreans who suffered during the 40 year Japanese occupation of Korea.

American servicemen held in Japanese prisoner of war camps were treated more cruelly than their counterparts in other prisoner of war camps in WWII.

Ill will from many Asian countries the Japanese occupied during WWII continues today.
There are many other good documentaris in Snag Films website, if you weed out the Social Justice films.

美しい犬

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

When I was stationed in Korea in the early 1970s, the Korean bartender at one of the clubs posted a still shot photo from the movie “Tora! Tora! Tora!” showing the approach of a Japanese plane over Pearl Harbor. If anyone mentioned Japan, he would just turn and point to the picture.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I was reading yesterday about "hell ships." These were ships used to transport Allied POWs to Japan. Not only were the conditions on the ships hellish, causing a great deal of misery and death, but a number of them got torpedoed by US submarines, whose commanders had no way of knowing there were POWs aboard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you , Sunset, for this link. Very sad but everyone should watch this at least once. mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I was reading yesterday about "hell ships." These were ships used to transport Allied POWs to Japan. Not only were the conditions on the ships hellish, causing a great deal of misery and death, but a number of them got torpedoed by US submarines, whose commanders had no way of knowing there were POWs aboard.

Yes, and as the ships started going down, on some ships the seamen slammed the hatches shut, so all the POW's would go down with the ship.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Just got finished watching. Most descriptive story of Nanking I ever saw. Horrific.

One of my favorite sayings is, “No good deed goes unpunished”. That was certainly the case of the Nazi officer. It seems the American woman who ran the girls school was suffering severe PTSD until she killed herself on the one year anniversary of her return home.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post