SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    neat powerball story
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

neat powerball story Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Someone here won big in the last couple of years. I don't remember who, but they referred to it as "life-changing-big" or something similar.

Here, as in SIGforum.

I want to say that was member Acidjazz. Six figure winnings if I recall correctly (tax free, in Canada).

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I think he's just playing the odds. And, also, one million dollars just don't go as far as it used to. And if that's their main cash hoard, they're really going to have to husband that baby along in order for it to secure a lifestyle.

A couple of houses, several brand new cars, gifts to relatives, business loans to friends, some fly by night investment scheme and it will soon be gone.

Yet they didn't say they were going to do any of those things. I guess as long as it makes you feel good about yourself, it's okay to deride random people who got lucky one day.

Those are just the odds. I have no ill will towards strangers who happen to win a jackpot. I don’t get any thrill when I tell someone that, given their age, they’ll likely die at 86 years old or whatever the actuarial tables say.

The biggest thing is that a million dollars is going to require husbanding. Financial advisors would say you can safely spin off $40,000 a year. That’s not enough to live a wanton lifestyle.

No one is besmirching their character or reputation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not trying to rain on they’re parade but the typical person who plays the lottery is not going to a financial advisor to plan for the future. They’re going on a spending spree and they’ll have some fun, get some new toys and then wonder where it all went. Very few people can handle that kind of money when it just comes out of nowhere. Maybe these people will be smart with the money but it’s not likely.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post