SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    neat powerball story
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

neat powerball story Login/Join 
posted
Oops! Couple realizes $1,000 prize is actually $1 million

INDIANAPOLIS - Cindy Ooley and her husband, Steve, took a trip to Hoosier Lottery headquarters for what they thought was a $1,000 winning ticket. Instead, they went home with a $1 million Powerball prize.

Hoosier Lottery officials began interviewing Cindy about her win, which is standard procedure for a prize of that amount. Then Steve looked down at the table, where there was a ceremonial big check. Cindy was mid-conversation when Steve realized what the check said. He interrupted.

"That's not $1,000," Steve said.

The check in front of Steve and Cindy had six zeroes, not three. Hoosier Lottery officials explained to Cindy and Steve that they won $1 million.

"This is nuts. This is crazy," Steve said.

A look of shock entered the couple's eyes, then realization. Cindy and Steve immediately called the bank. This wasn't the small transaction the couple originally expected.

"We're not going to have to watch things quite as closely," Cindy said.

Before the excitement of a $1 million prize, Cindy was at home clearing out a desk drawer when she found old Powerball tickets. She checked to see if she had any winners. When she reviewed the Powerball ticket from the Sept. 23, 2017 drawing, she told Steve she had a $1,000 winner and they should drive to Indianapolis to claim it. Neither realized the true prize amount until they saw the ceremonial check.

Cindy purchased the winning ticket at Meijer, 1425 W. Carmel Drive in Carmel, where she typically buys her Powerball tickets. Her ticket matched all five numbers except the Powerball number.

Cindy has been playing Powerball twice a week for years. The Fishers couple says they enjoy dreaming about what they could do if they won a big jackpot.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We're not going to have to watch things quite as closely," Cindy said.

uh huh and the same old story begins....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two people who can’t correctly read a lottery ticket. I say dead broke in 10 months or less.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Jeez. Who crapped in your cereal this morning? Why can't you just wish them well and hope for the best?

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'll bet someone has a wager on this!

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Two people who can’t correctly read a lottery ticket. I say dead broke in 10 months or less.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I'm with Paten, there's enough shitty news in the world. That'd be a cool surprise!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe they'll buy a sailboat.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Hopefully some boating and marine navigation lessons too.....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I'll bet someone has a wager on this!
Well, if sigspecops wins the wager, I hope he takes the cash option instead of the annuity. Wink

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Jeez. Who crapped in your cereal this morning? Why can't you just wish them well and hope for the best?

I think he's just playing the odds. And, also, one million dollars just don't go as far as it used to. And if that's their main cash hoard, they're really going to have to husband that baby along in order for it to secure a lifestyle.

A couple of houses, several brand new cars, gifts to relatives, business loans to friends, some fly by night investment scheme and it will soon be gone.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Somebody in SW VA, I heard on the radio this morning, won $177K on a "scratcher" ticket. So it does happen.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I think he's just playing the odds. And, also, one million dollars just don't go as far as it used to. And if that's their main cash hoard, they're really going to have to husband that baby along in order for it to secure a lifestyle.

A couple of houses, several brand new cars, gifts to relatives, business loans to friends, some fly by night investment scheme and it will soon be gone.

Yet they didn't say they were going to do any of those things. I guess as long as it makes you feel good about yourself, it's okay to deride random people who got lucky one day.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're a dick but I can't stop laughing Big Grin

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
How much of the $1 million is left after taxes?

Even if they get around $500,000, they could probably live off investments of that money for the rest of their lives while not having to work full time. That is if they stay away from leeches who try to suck their money from them.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Even if they get around $500,000, they could probably live off investments of that money for the rest of their lives while not having to work full time. That is if they stay away from leeches who try to suck their money from them.

The odds are NOT stacked in their favor that, that will ever happen.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I agree. Might as well look on the positive side. The main thing is to keep their job(s) and invest the money wisely (don't buy a new house, cars, give money away, etc. Plenty of time to do that later if you still want to.)

I know a middle aged couple that came into some money a couple of years ago. An old uncle died and they were told he left them some money. They thought great, maybe it will be as much as $10,000. It turned out to be $600,000. Nobody in the family knew the old boy had that kind of money. They paid off their mortgage (not what I would have advised but they wanted to) bought a new car and truck, and invested the rest. They are still working but are doing very nicely.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Geez man. Big Grin

I wish them the best.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
This is a no shitter, in November of 1995, I bought 5 Powerball tickets. I forgot to check them for about 4 days. When I did, I had 5 numbers but not the power ball. Not having the internet, I thought maybe it was about 2 grand. I was in the Navy stationed at Great Lakes, so the ex wife and I jumped in the car and drove to Kenosha where I bought the ticket. There was a new sign on the window that read 100,000 dollar wining ticket sold here. I tbought somebody sure got lucky! I went in and stood in line. When I got to the front, I asked the lady what 5 numbers got ya? Her exact words were "Your Him"
I said "Who"? The next day I was in Milwaukee getting a big check for 65k.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Someone here won big in the last couple of years. I don't remember who, but they referred to it as "life-changing-big" or something similar.

Here, as in SIGforum.

My wife plays all the time. Probably breaks about even. If we win it big one day, hopefully she'll still like me after she is rich. If not, I'll take half a billion dollars and move on, I guess Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post