SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leaking hot water pressure relief valve.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaking hot water pressure relief valve. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Tap the pin that holds the valve. If it still leaks you can pop it open for a second. Might be some crud in the valve. Then you can lightly tap the pin again if needed.

If it still leaks I would consider it done. New valve or new water heater.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Sometimes brand new stuff is defective from the git.

Yep, like the new one on a boiler which had a pinhole in the brass casting.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The threads that the pop off valve screws into are probably eroded from galvanic corrosion. Either that or the water heater is half full of sediment....... 18 years is WAYYYYY past the normal life of a water heater in Florida with our hard water.....just change the darn thing. I love how people throw so much money and time at junk and still have junk when they're done.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Sometimes brand new stuff is defective from the git.

Yep, like the new one on a boiler which had a pinhole in the brass casting.

When I was an apprentice me and the master spent ages copper piping a wall of pipe, fittings, valves. A maze of lines feeding a whole lot of stuff. Fifty-four solder joints, numerous valves, lots of tight fractional cuts under four or five inches. And . . .

A Nibco stop-and-waste had a pinhole in the brass body.

I've forever emulated his reaction and response. "That happens". Drain the system and replace it.

Eighteen years does not sound too old for a water heater. I've seen them running fine at 40+. There is no rhyme or reason. Maybe it has to do with local soil conditions, electrical current in the water lines?

Good job, Tommy, helping out a friend. I spend more time doing stuff for free than actually working. Keeps my B/P in check.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post