SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leaking hot water pressure relief valve.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaking hot water pressure relief valve. Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Question for the experienced. I recently worked on an 18 year old hot water heater for a friend. She told me the temperature was not as hot as it was and the pressure relief valve had a slow leak. I checked the water temp at a faucet and it was running about 110F with the thermostats set to 124. To fix both problems, I replaced the 4500 W elements with new elements and thermostats and replaced the pressure relief valve. Now the temp runs pretty true, but the pressure relief valve leaks by a little bit when she uses hot water to shower or do a load of laundry. The thermosts are set to 125. Any ideas? Thanks

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
what is the in-house pressure running at?

Does her water tank have an expansion tank?

And to add to that, 18yrs old.... it just may be time...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
If its going to leak it should leak when hot water is not being used. More pressure when not used vs being in use. Try flipping the spring loaded handle a couple times, maybe it will seat better.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 18 years old, I wouldn't change ANY parts on the water heater. It's way past it's life and needs to be changed. The tank itself is probably leaking and it's just exiting the body where the pressure relief valve exits.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Jimmy on this, it is on borrowed time and that floor is fixen to become very wet.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have to agree with Jimmy on this, it is on borrowed time and that floor is fixen to become very wet.

I learned that $35,000 lesson the hard way. Get rid of it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New relief, new stats, running at correct temps after installing stats?

Next, would be to check water pressure.

*New one won't fix external problems, it's just a new tank. You've replaced everything else.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
No expansion tank. I don't know the line pressure, but it does not feel excessive. The hot water heater is in the garage, so if it did leak, there would be little if any water damage. I agree, it is old, but it is just a water vessel with new elements and valve. The valve is rated at 210F and 150 PSI. Went it does vent water, its just an ounce or two, not a stream.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we tap on the central pin on the relief valve to better seat the washer. A bit of scale could have gotten under it.

With greater water temperature differences between incoming and heated temp, expansion may be causing the drip.

I keep hearing about expansion tanks on water heaters, but in my house, with 82˚ summer and 33˚ winter cold incoming water, and heating the water pretty durn hot, just me, so the water in the tank often sits? There is never any dripping of my relief valve.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...igB&biw=1264&bih=854

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 18 years she no longer has a water heater, she has a ticking time bomb. Replace it before she has a disaster/home owners claim. Wager a guess that it's in her attic too. No bueno either way, super no bueno if it's in the attic.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
When mine started getting leaky - it turned out to be the pressure regulator where the water entered the house...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anode rod is probably gone at this point . A ton of crud on the bottom of the tank . No doubt you stirred up some of that crud . Did you flush the tank by chance ?

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Flush the tank and replace the anode. And flush the valve too...its just got some gunk under the seat and that's why it's leaking.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
At 18 years she no longer has a water heater, she has a ticking time bomb. Replace it before she has a disaster/home owners claim. Wager a guess that it's in her attic too. No bueno either way, super no bueno if it's in the attic.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
The hot water heater is in the garage, so if it did leak, there would be little if any water damage.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I don't know the line pressure, but it does not feel excessive.

Test gauge from HD and test it. Screws on a garden hose fitting.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
In my experience, once those valves go, they never stay sealed again.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
In my experience, once those valves go, they never stay sealed again.

Me too. But this is apparently a new relief valve.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I talked to her today and priced out a new hot water heater, expansion tank and floor plan. Not as bad a hit as originally thought. I will get a gauge however and check line pressure as recommended. I did check mine out in the garage, it's only seven years old with an expansion tank and there is sign of water leakage.

Beth Greene

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You might consider getting her a cold water heater. Razz

I recently installed two water heaters in some of my apartments. One of the new heaters had a TPR valve that wouldn't seal. Sometimes brand new stuff is defective from the git.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post