SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYPD Sergeants' Union 'Declaring War' On 'Anti-Cop' Mayor De Blasio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYPD Sergeants' Union 'Declaring War' On 'Anti-Cop' Mayor De Blasio Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Between his policies and Mike's, they're trying to bring the city back to the glory days of Deakins.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Communities get the kind of police department and policing they deserve.

I don’t know much about NYC or the NYPD, and I don’t accept the fantasy that a small minority of residents in a political jurisdiction can have much effect on major political movements. Overall, though, you are absolutely right about what the community wants, or at least tolerates—and will get.

And in a situation like this I’m reminded of something I read in a history about Nazi Germany. The author had no sympathy for the conspirators who were caught and executed following their involvement in the attempt on Hitler’s life in 1944. As he (she?) put it, those men ended up hanging from meat hooks because they had originally supported Hitler in the first place. The members of this sergeants’ union may not have supported de Blasio directly, but what has been their support for the laws, programs, and other politicians of New York leading up to him? I may be totally wrong in assuming that they were complicit to at least some degree, but I somehow doubt it.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what officers who work the streets everyday have to say.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7650 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you don't know what you're talking about, or just don't care. Neither the PBA or the Sergeants Union have or has endorsed Diblasio in either of his elections.

quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
The NYPD is one of the most obnoxious organizations in existence. There's no other organization that cries, whines, complains and demands constant attention like they do. They need constant stroking like a needy dog (apologies for lumping my canine friends in the same class).

They've been staunch supporters of democrats for decades. Whatever policies have been put in place in NYC was done with their willing and eager assistance. Their allegiance is to whomever promises the largest booty. They can be bought, they have been bought and they continue to solicit themselves to the highest bidder. Their loyalty changes with the direction of the wind. They have no honor and I find them to be every bit as distasteful as liberal politicians.

I'm supposed to give a shit that the people who bought them are now mistreating them? I don't think so. They are finally reaping what they sowed. Long overdue as far as I'm concerned.

A few short years ago during the height of their feud, the NYPD publicly admitted they participate in a quota system. Basically, they admitted fleecing the public for their political bosses. They said this officially and publicly. The moment they got what they wanted, they fell back into line and disavow their admission.

In case I didn't get my point across, I'm not a fan.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure if you don't know what you're talking about, or just don't care. Neither the PBA or the Sergeants Union have or has endorsed Diblasio in either of his elections.
Fair enough, did they oppose him or back someone else?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6186 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Get real. They did endorse Cuomo, didn't they? They have been overwhelmingly endorsing Democrats for the last 30 years, haven't they? The only reason they didn't endorse De Blasio is because they had history before he ran for Mayor so they knew he wouldn't bend over for them.

Go look at the PBA's press releases that contain their endorsements. Overwhelmingly Democrat. Even the most recent one in late 2018 while they were raging about the "war on cops", is predominately for Democrats.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
I'd like to know what officers who work the streets everyday have to say.

I have little direct interactions with them, though it is a personally known fact that the practice of having a token symbolizing that one is a friend of NYPD is still practiced that can get you past simple stops and low grade hassles.

I'm rarely in corner markets etc, but last time I was there was a female NYPD officer behind me in line. I paid for her coffee. She heard me tell the clerk that I would and was totally shocked. Clearly the lives and interactions of the officers on the street there are nothing like most of the rest of the country, if this example is anything like the average officer's experience.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Get real. They did endorse Cuomo, didn't they? They have been overwhelmingly endorsing Democrats for the last 30 years, haven't they? The only reason they didn't endorse De Blasio is because they had history before he ran for Mayor so they knew he wouldn't bend over for them.

Go look at the PBA's press releases that contain their endorsements. Overwhelmingly Democrat. Even the most recent one in late 2018 while they were raging about the "war on cops", is predominately for Democrats.

The last three mayoral candidates the NYPD endorsed were Giuliani, Bloomberg, and Nicole Malliotakis. The LEO unions in NYC have no choice but to back a democrat for city council and assembly seats as there is usually no republican running. They have to find the best democrat for their cause, and back them. As to Cuomo, they have no choice. If they back a challeneger, Cuomo will cut off as much funding as he can as punishment. We've already seen him do this to upstate NY as punishment for voting for anyone running against him.

Right now police\mayoral relations are the worst I've ever seen. The NYPD is working without a net and without support.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The NYPD is a culture unto its own. The PBA DEA SBA LBA & CBA didn’t support Di Blasio one ounce. He ran on an anti police platform. David Dinkins was called “ the janitor “ by the rank and file. The PBA and DEA union leaders haven’t been bought by the administrators under the two current presidents. The other unions have tried to avoid the meddling of city hall and fight for the rank and file the SBA has some solid leadership now. The city is politically vengeful, a Democrat Paradise, strenuously oppose a councilman a borough president or Mayor and you can go from a good assignment in a good squad to Brooklyn North in a war zone. Most rank and file guys are not soldiers of the left. They’re guys who wanted a “job” with benefits and a pension, not the sociology experiment the NYPD is today. The leftist Dems use the PD for good and bad. The NYPD is probably the most thankless job in the country as far as police work goes. Despite that many mos go out and do the job and make the ultimate sacrifice.

Not a fan boy I get that but there’s a lot of pride and good in the NYPD.

Posts: 2761 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Now DiBlasio wants to punish the Sergeant who is the union president for his speech.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/...ences-for-war-tweet/

Posts: 2761 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:

His policies are getting cops hurt and killed. He’s the shitbag in this equation and it’s sad that anyone’s confused.

All while forcing the crime stats to be under reported so it will look better for him.

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, why do sergeants need their own union? Is there a separate union for left handed officers with three years on the force?

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:
So, why do sergeants need their own union? Is there a separate union for left handed officers with three years on the force?

There is approx 5,500 Sergeants.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Just a clarification: in this context, DEA is the Detectives' Endowment Association.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
What does it mean to declare war on the Mayor? Besides not welcoming him to the hospital to visit injured officers, what exactly are they going to do?

Posts: 6060 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post