SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto painters, a question...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto painters, a question... Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted
Need to get some minor body damage fixed on a 5-week-old 2016 Mazda CX-9. The corner of the back door got bent and scraped, we won't go into how...

Anyhow, the color is one of Mazda's two premium paints, Machine Gray Metallic, code 46G.

I am trying to convince myself that a match to the factory paint is possible, but with this particular color only being available since the 2016 model year, I am doubtful.

Since the damage is to the edge of the door, the three bodyshops we took it to, all mentioned that they will need to blend the paint into the quarter panel. I recognize this as an appropriate way to manage the slight difference in shading that may occur.

My biggest concern lies with the process Mazda uses to paint the color at the factory. It seems like a 3-4 stage process: black base, then silver metallic mid, then gray tinted clear, then clear. It's not a pearl, but it seems like a similar process. The issue is that the paint is metallic, but it's a super-fine flake that doesn't even look metallic until you get really close. It's actually a fantastically complex color, even if it's gray. I'm concerned they are going to treat it like a conventional metallic.

My wife gathered three quotes this afternoon. Two of the quotes specifically mention 2-stage painting. This obviously has me concerned, and I will call these shops to clarify, since I wasn't able to be with my wife at the time.

I need some expert soothsaying here. I want to fix it, because the car doesn't even have 2500 miles on it yet, but I'm concerned about a giant patch of mismatched paint on my door and rear quarter. What would be some good questions to ask to ascertain their skill and familiarity with unusual paints? Should I ask about any certifications or training? Years of experience their painters have?

Finally: am I WAAAAAAY over-thinking this, need to chill the F***-out, go to a well-established and well-reviewed bodyshop, and trust them to practice their craft?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It can go one of two ways.

1. They get it right and there is never a fading issue that ever becomes obvious.

2. They get it wrong, or there is fading later.

If 1. your golden, life is good.

Else

2. And it is done again until correct, and if it fades, you deal with it then.

Life is too short to worry this much beforehand.

And single stage, 2 stage are pretty much the norm for repaint work.

You may be able to find custom shops that do multi-stage processes, but you will pay handsomely for it.

Thank the EPA.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the dealership have a body shop? Independent shops are fine also.

Most paint companies give lifetime warranties to the better shops, they in turn pass this guarantee to the customer. Ask for it.

The shop will do spray outs to match the color. They will keep the repair as small as possible, blending the color and then clear the entire panel so there will be no burn back. Clearing the entire panel is the proper application of clear, always spot/ blend the color but clear the panel.
Keep the shops lifetime paint warranty in the glove box. Most shops and painters are ASE or ICar certified, you will see the diplomas on the shop's office wall.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It can go one of two ways.

1. They get it right and there is never a fading issue that ever becomes obvious.

2. They get it wrong, or there is fading later.

If 1. your golden, life is good.

Else

2. And it is done again until correct, and if it fades, you deal with it then.

Life is too short to worry this much beforehand.

And single stage, 2 stage are pretty much the norm for repaint work.

You may be able to find custom shops that do multi-stage processes, but you will pay handsomely for it.

This right here. Good advice.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this age of car, the new paint should fade over the years virtually as fast as the origional paint. Find a good body shop that does a lot of custom paint work (hot rods, muscle cars, that sort of thing) and they should be able to match it or the dealer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I have found it is actually cheaper to buy a replacement (used) complete door in the same car/model color...

If ya gotta paint it the purpose is defeated but often you can find a wrecked vehicle as a suitable donor.

Installing a door is not difficult if you have some tools available. Aligning is the important part.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Reject the job until it matches perfectly
Blending is never perfect with metallic paints

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post