SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What? You mean Baltimore's "Nobody Kill Anybody" weekend DIDN"T work???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? You mean Baltimore's "Nobody Kill Anybody" weekend DIDN"T work??? Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
"It was a noble effort," my ass. It was a cockamamie liberal feel good fiasco. It lasted one day. These are the morons who come up with "gun free zones," and limited capacity magazines, and so on. And when what they propose does no good at all, or is even counterproductive, instead of giving themselves palm plants, they pat themselves on the back for the "noble efforts."

Baltimore is quickly becoming a complete shithole because idiots like this are at the helm.

Baltimore’s “nobody kill anybody weekend” lasts a little over a day

It was a noble effort to be sure and a pretty good plan (all things considered) for as long as it lasted. Sadly, that wasn’t terribly long at all. We’re talking about the effort by some Baltimore community leaders to enact a 72 hour “ceasefire” in the city. John noted the kickoff of the effort on Friday, while I’d described my own concerns about the prospects for success a couple of weeks earlier. It was an effort that was labeled nobody kill anybody weekend, and it was supposed to run from Friday morning until Sunday night.

They made it until Saturday afternoon.

A 24-year-old man was shot and killed in Baltimore on Saturday, police said, breaking a 72-hour “ceasefire” called by activists who had pleaded for a pause in the city’s record homicide rate.

Community leaders organized around the social media hashtag Baltimore Ceasefire issued a general plea that “no one kills anyone” during the 72 hours of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

After no homicides were reported on Friday, the fatal shooting occurred shortly after 5 p.m. (2100 GMT) on Saturday, police said in a statement.

“The victim was rushed to an area hospital by friends,” police said, but he was pronounced dead at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

As I said previously, it was a gallant and worthwhile effort. At this point somebody had to try something, and it might as well start with the community. And if we’re going to charitably count the “weekend” as beginning one minute past midnight Friday morning, the city managed to make it 41 hours without a murder. (There was another shooting earlier on Saturday but the victim survived.) As terrible as it may sound to say it aloud, that’s really not too shabby for Baltimore. We’re now 216 days into 2017 and the body count in the city is just slightly less than that number, averaging roughly one murder per day. If they’d managed to make it seven more hours that would have been two straight days.

Okay, that’s not really a good statistic by any definition, but it’s better than nothing.

Unfortunately, the group organizing the ceasefire took to their social media pages to decry the violence but somehow couldn’t resist the temptation to spread the blame around a bit too far.

“There is a war going on in Baltimore right now. We are experiencing genocide among our African-American males, both by the hands of the Police Department and from one another. We the people need a call to action in order to save the city and our community for our future generations,” Baltimore Ceasefire said on its Facebook page.

A “genocide… by the hands of the Police Department?” Not for nothing, but I was looking through the list of possible lethal force encounters with police for 2017 and I managed to find one. And that guy was holding a foot-long knife to the throats of a one year old and a four year old when negotiations finally broke down and the cops took him out. By contrast (falling into the category of “from one another” mentioned by the ceasefire group), criminals have murdered more than 210 of you in Charm City. That’s significantly more than in New York City and Baltimore is less than one tenth the size of the Big Apple.

I realize that many folks out on the streets are still upset over the whole Freddie Gray thing, but talking about some sort of “police genocide” at this juncture seems to be leading us off the path of what might otherwise be a productive discussion. You seem to be off to a good, or at least potentially promising start with this idea of community leaders trying to reach out to the gang members and cut back on the killing. Perhaps we should concentrate on that for a while rather than blaming the police. The Black Guerilla Family, the Bloods and the Crips are the problem you really need to be focusing on.

http://hotair.com/archives/201...nd-lasts-little-day/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
It was a good plan?? And what exactly was then plan? Besides hope and thinking about sunshine and lollipops that is.

I know leftists put more emphasis on intentions than results, but what about when they don't do anything at all besides begging in public?

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem, actually, in its entirety, is the concept of 'weekends'.

If the democrap libtards would eliminate the folly of 'weekends', there would never ever again be another ahooting over the 'weekend'.

Problem solved.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Wow, they even had a hashtag! What's up with Baltimore?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hope and change

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The Organizer probably should not have kicked it off with a gun shot in the air.

Seriously....you can't reason with animals.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
There was no real plan other a woman who made up a poster "Nobody Kill Anybody" in red & black and posted them around the city in the hot spots. Got some air time on the stations and some donations. The only problem is 90% of the killings here in Baltimore are drug related in some way. Be it turf, drugs or money. They don't give a S#$% about anything other then turf, drugs and money, will kill for them at any time. Plus add in the gangs we now have each one has to be harder than the other. Nice. I only have to go into the city 5 days a week armed, Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
They just don't get it. Roll Eyes

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Geez you don't say and I really had high hopes this would be the turning point. I am just shocked that this effort didn't work. Roll Eyes

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Baltimore officials claim the cease fire worked as their beloved citizen was killed by his own P320 when it was dropped and struck the floor. Big Grin

Seriously, they need to evacuate the good people out and then use that city as a "dirty bomb" training ground.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
^^lol
Razz

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, they need to evacuate the good people out and then use that city as a "dirty bomb" training ground.

It's either that or end the welfare programs that support poverty as a "lifestyle" choice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't get why they don't just make murder illegal there?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't get why they don't just make murder illegal there?

Silly goose; you have it backwards. Having murder be illegal is the problem. If murder was removed from the code then the city would cut down on crime and the self-cleaning oven would continue its good work. Problem solved. Big Grin

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I thought it was good that the doofus who wrote this article at least had the wherewithal to point out that the police contribution to the "genocide" consisted of exactly one incident. And that one involved a black man holding a knife to the throat of a child. Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They should call a Mulligan and reschedule for early September.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
So it's like the opposite-Purge then?

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Definitely. The weather is cooler, they may have more success.

Besides the inner harbor and Fells Point, that place is a dump. <shivers> I avoided it at all costs. I much preferred wing night at Coakley's in Havre de Grace.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maybe they can convince Krapernick to walk the streets with all his bling and esplain to everyone about the cease fire.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“There is a war going on in Baltimore right now. We are experiencing genocide among our African-American males, both by the hands of the Police Department and from one another."

gen·o·cide : ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

So... they are being killed because they are members of a particular ethnic group?
But... by members of the same particular ethnic group?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post