SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shop/Motorcycle Room Build......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop/Motorcycle Room Build...... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
....began last Fall, came to a halt with all the rain then Winter, and as of last month has begun again. Moving at a snails pace but moving nonetheless.

The need for this space came after selling the home in town (which had such a room) and moving full time to my out of town home which did not. Nothing special or fancy, slab construction with frame walls it'll consist of a room for tools and motorcycles, along with two small rooms one for wood working and an exercise room.

My thought was to post an occasional picture as it progresses, so starting with a couple from last Fall, after which they pulled off due to never-ending rain then Winter (and I believe finishing a house they were building).......

This is the location I picked, off the driveway across from the house.

Area cleared.

Built up and compacted.

Footers poured and blocks started.

Almost ready to pour over 6" of compacted stone.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
You sure do nice work. Those forms are better than some furniture I’ve seen. I’m sure it will turn out great.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I wish I could take the credit greco but I have a contractor doing the whole build. I'm glad I waited for them because so far I'm really pleased with their work. Small family outfit consisting of brother-son, brother-son, and a nephew and they do pretty much everything themselves.

I'm hoping so! Smile

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'll be keeping an eye on this project! Great so far!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
You sure do nice work. Those forms are better than some furniture I’ve seen. I’m sure it will turn out great.

No kidding! Looks like great work.
Keep the photos coming.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow! Looks fantastic!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Never big enough.

Are you planning on a lift for the bikes? I modified an industrial scissors lift to work on mine. Originally 3’x5’ I put ramps on both ends. One about 2’ long, the other even longer. Both ramps can be supported making the whole surface about 11’. Electric, 110v.

Make space for one if you can. Consider it an adjustable height workbench. Handy for woodworking, lawnmower repair, motorcycles, welding. Mine is a Southworth brand. Could be on casters but it is more stable if it is solidly on the floor.

Big overhead door between bike and wood shops? Might be handy. Good to separate welding from wood for obvious reasons.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Looking good man! You’re gonna have a great space for the motos. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you haven't poured the floor yet, and you are going to put in a lift, dig out a recess with room for air/electric so you can drop the lift in the recess.

With the top of the lift level with the floor height, you can ride the bike on it and strap down vs having to ride up on an elevated lift.

Buddy that has a shop did this with his lifts, said it makes all the difference, especially with heavy or tall bikes.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
That’s an exceptionally neat-looking piece of form-work. If it’s any indication of what the rest of their work will look like, you will have a very fine building. Looking forward to seeing it as you post updates.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys!

LOL no never big enough! I originally drew up a 36' wide by 28' deep with a 12' carport on the right. I ended up adding 2' to make it 38' wide along with 6' to the carport to make it 18'. Then given the slope down to the right along with just wanting to break up the 58' roof I stepped down the carport roof.

I do have a lift Chris, an electric Handy Industries that I've had forever. It has a lift off ramp and given where I'll put it, and that the shop will only have one door, I'm resigned to pulling on and backing off. As far as work benches I have a couple small ons along with a *heavy* 16' one from an old factory.

I'm still unsure where I'll place it and may have to try it in a couple places so I elected not to form a recess in the floor. But you're right HRK it would be nice to have it flush, I probably should have drawn out just where I thought it should be and just put it there.

Thank you AH.74, I'm pleased with their work up to this point.

Plastic and 2" foam down ready to pour.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
38' x 28' building will consist of 24' x 28' shop for storing and working on motorcycles as well as doing maintenance on other things such as ATV, side by side, tractor etc. There'll be a small room for a commode and just outside that a sink.
14' x 16' room for wood shop and 14' x 12' will be a small exercise area as well as hanging closet and shelf storage. Of course these are gross outside dimensions I'll loose 6" on each outside wall and 4" on inside walls.

Framed up and trusses set. I was surprised just how much bracing is involved. They temporary braced the walls to the concrete floor and added a number between the trusses. Posts are sitting on and anchored to concrete footers.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You can never have too much bracing!

Did they add any fiber or steel to the concrete mix in the slab?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I suppose so. No steel but fiber is in the concrete which was poured 5 1/2" thick. The stem walls and floor were all poured together.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
those guys do nice work

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
those guys do nice work

Thanks nasig, I'm quite pleased with them so far.

Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Is the framing done with 2x4s or 2x6s?

I can't quite tell looking at the photos.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
2x6 exterior walls, 2x4 trusses and interior walls.

posted Hide Post
Maybe consider some steel plates/ibeam reinforcement on the center ceiling joist so you can add a hoist or hang a come-along to pull engines and such.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent thought straightshooter, thanks!