SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shop/Motorcycle Room Build......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop/Motorcycle Room Build...... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest a nice paver patio with central fire pit, ample chairs, for bench racing....

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I have a fire pit near by but it doesn't have pavers.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Really, really nice

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice build, Thank you for sharing.

Do you what brand the concrete forms are? I'm planning a small DIY project soon using Fox Blocks, which look very similar to the ones in your photos.

http://foxblocks.com/Products/

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I didn't notice any logo on the foam blocks and don't know what brand they are? I'll ask them though.

I'm really getting excited about it now and can hardly wait to get in it. Big Grin

Unfortunately the windows came in the wrong color so they had to be reordered and not having them and the door is holding up completing the siding but they were able to complete the back, along with the ends up to window height.

I really like this siding it's Celect by Royal and I first saw it on the house they were building previous to starting my shop. I thought it was Hard Plank because that's about what it looks like but it's some type of rigid plastic with each piece (both sides and ends) interlocking to the next, sort of like click together laminate flooring.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's official, I am really jealous. You do some really good work.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Well not ME it's the crew I'm using doing the nice work. Basically a family affair, two brothers who worked with their father building homes years ago. Now it's them along with their sons and they do pretty much everything themselves other than electrical, HVAC, and insulation.

Siding has come to a halt because the windows and door still aren't here, supplier is now saying sometime next week.
I've been looking at all the potential storage area within the trusses so today they installed a pull down stairs and reinforced the truss bottom to allow for it to support a floor for light weight storage of boxes, stock motorcycle seats, windshields, and exhausts, gun boxes, etc.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Not much has happened outside as we're *still* waiting on the windows and door..... supposedly they'll be here Wednesday. Inside all the wiring is roughed in, ceiling drywall hung, insulation sprayed, and working on wall drywall now. I never requested it but they're using 5/8" drywall everywhere.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beyond amazing. The job on the footers is the sharpest bit of craftsmanship I've seen in a long time.

If you were near traffic, the care they've taken in those walls would jump out at you. Spray foam makes for the quietest of rooms. I'm ready to move in. Neighbor. Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woodman! Having experienced some *very* sloppy actually incompetent work done by a builder I had to run off on a previous house, I am really happy to have these guys. They normally sub out the drywall but since their next job canceled on them they're doing it themselves... including the finishing.

This size structure would make a great little house, certainly all I need!

No shower but you can move in. Big Grin

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It's all but finished. The guys did a pretty nice job on drywall and paint, and poured the exterior concrete Monday. Remaining for me is to tidy up the outside and plant grass, install the flooring which is acclimating now, paint the front door, seal the concrete, and the electrician has a couple things to finish. Then start moving stuff in. One thing we did which I didn't plan on is to utilize a section of the unfinished attic for storage by building up some of the joists above the insulation and laying plywood to walk on along with a pull down stairway for access. The space is unconditioned but will be ok for storing boxes, exhausts, etc.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That has come out very nice.

Are you putting in a fancy floor system, epoxy paint, or other?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Perfect! Plenty of room for uninvited guests ... to bunk down outside, out of the elements.

Hiking thru pre-season Tetons as a lad, caught in a never-ending May rain/sleet storm, the ranger station let me bunk down under an overhang like you have along the front. It might have been cement, but I was dry, could make tea and noodles, and left 36 hours later well-rested.

Northern VW ... Apple Butter Festival, Berkeley Springs, October 2005, the 'good old days'. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
That has come out very nice.

Are you putting in a fancy floor system, epoxy paint, or other?

Not really fancy but commercial 27 mil wear layer LVT for the large area and small room, and Faus laminate flooring (which I already had) in the 14' x 16' room. All material has been acclimating for a week, I just checked the slab for moisture and it's dry as a bone.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Perfect! Plenty of room for uninvited guests ... to bunk down outside, out of the elements.

Hiking thru pre-season Tetons as a lad, caught in a never-ending May rain/sleet storm, the ranger station let me bunk down under an overhang like you have along the front. It might have been cement, but I was dry, could make tea and noodles, and left 36 hours later well-rested.

Northern VW ... Apple Butter Festival, Berkeley Springs, October 2005, the 'good old days'. Big Grin

For invited ones too, Woodman.
Others have offered me quarters over the years so I offer the same.... Sig Forum members, motorcyclists, hikers, any friends I meet, any responsible people in need are always welcome to pitch a tent or bed roll.

I'm maybe 1 1/2 hour west of Berkley Springs, just below the PA line.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have to say your contractor/builder has done amazing work! A shop that anyone would proud having. Well done sir!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That came out quite nice! Congratulations on a great shop to spend some time in.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ozarkwoods and Beancooker. My logger finally returned to clean up some of the rubble so things are finally coming together!

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Looks great. The only knock I would have is the use of trusses rather than traditional roof rafters. The problem is you lose all the storage space. But, it is much faster and more economical. Seems most structures are built with trusses these days.

Looks awesome though. I am jealous!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Interesting you mention that 67Goat. When designing it I was contemplating attic storage but my friend pointed out the added cost of framing the attic with rafters and knee walls, or special made trusses, along with needing a stairway. And asked "do you really need more storage?" So I scrapped the idea. Then the same friend happened by when they were framing and said "that's a lot of potential space up there why don't you get them to floor the middle for storage"?
So I picked up a pull down stairway and had them install it, add a couple lights, build up the trusses in the middle for strength and to allow for the insulation, and floor 8' wide the length of the building. Makes a good place for storing gun boxes, extra motorcycle parts or take offs, etc. But you're right in hind site I should have built it with the roof raised up maybe 18" to gain attic headroom and let them rafter it or use attic trusses.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
That's very similar to what I did to my house. You can use the area that forms a triangle in the center of the truss. I screwed 2 x 4's about 12" or so off the floor (to clear insulation) and laid down 3/4" plywood. You have to crawl on your hands and knees, but it works.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post