SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So lets talk about Ft Worth!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So lets talk about Ft Worth!!!! Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My son lives in Ft. Worth and likes it. He likes it so much he is moving to Uvalde.

Seriously, he likes Ft. Worth a lot, but has a job offer in Uvalde (west of San Antonio) he prefers.

Welcome to Texas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fort Worth and Dallas, two different cities. Like the old saying goes "Fort Worth is where the West begins, Dallas is where the East peters out".

Posts: 264 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Texas is one of very few places we'd consider moving. We are planning to spend more time there in the near future to see if we like it.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area is at the top of our list so far for relocation. My wife and I hung there for a week in Jan.(as well as last August) and we love it, particularly the Fort Worth part.

We very well might be there in the very near future Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fort Worth is where all the cool kids live.

For real.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I wound up in the Houston area after 47 years in the New York City metro area.
It was a good move for us.

The transfomation is almost complete.

Just need to buy some boots.
Smile

Welcome Patrick! Glad you made it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations for food and whiskey? I will be staying near the Fort Worth Convention Center for a conference next week.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Fred's Texas off of 7th Street. Heim' s has some pretty good barbecue on Magnolia Avenue.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Nonna Tata off Magnolia is some fantastic Italian food. Cash/check only though, very limited seating. Greenwood’s off the Bluebonnet traffic circle (near TCU) is awesome German food. The original Fuzzy’s Taco Shop is on Berry and University (also near TCU) and worth a stop. Reata restaurant in downtown has great grilled/southwest food and a great rooftop bar.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92: I was stationed there while in the Air Force during the sixty's. I was in Texas several years ago and decided to visit Carswell Air Base Again. I was very disheartened to see all the white uniforms in the middle of Texas. I did not remember seeing any battle ships on Lake Worth. It was quite a change from a Strategic Air Command base to a joint training base. It was really sad not to see all the B-52 and B-58's lined up on the tarmac. With a little imagination I could easily hear and see the B-52's and B-58's roaring down the runway during an alert. You never knew if the alert was the real thing or just another practice. You never had time to worry about it because there were only minutes left before nukes would come raining down. We did not have any bunkers to get into so there was no protection for the ground crews. All SAC bases and the near cities and towns would all have vanished if the alerts had been for real. At one point in the early sixties we were only minutes away from the real thing and that was very a scary time. But what the hay, we all survived those times and I thought so then and I still think that Ft Worth was a good place to live and if I ever decided to live somewhere else Ft. Worth would be the place.

My Dad grew up in Paris, TX and joined the Air Force after high school thinking he would be able see parts of the country and world he'd never seen before. Unfortunately, he got posted to Carswell. He's still pissed about it. Anyhow, he was a bomb tech for B-58s during the late 60s. He once told me that when they traveled off base to retrieve nuclear bombs they were issued pistols with no ammunition.

I went to one of the last airshows held at Carswell. It was also the first public showing of the F-117. I remember it being really cool seeing that aircraft up close. I also remember walking by at least four B-52s lined up on bomber row. The whole area was roped off and patrolled by MPs carrying M4s some with K9s. I was told that those particular bombers were loaded and ready for takeoff within minutes.

Anyhow, I live and work in Irving but when I go out with friends I much prefer going to Fort Worth rather than Dallas. The people are much more laid back in Fort Worth.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I live in Tarrant County, smack in the middle between Dallas and Ft Worth and Ft Worth is King. It is awesome. I love it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stayed in art. Worth for a few days for a work trip last year. Liked it a lot. My coworker had some buddies in the Ft.Worth area. Took us around the Stockyards. Really neat. Took us out to eat st Cooper’s BBQ and out for some beers at the White Elephant Saloon. Great places!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
FW is re-branding itself from Cowtown to something else. Progressive development only started a few years ago. Like any big city, there’s great areas and shitholes. School district sucks. I work there, but don’t live there.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
It's been a great decision to move back to the state I grew up in, and living west of Fort Worth is the icing on the cake.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I've lived nearer Fort Worth than Dallas for most of my life. I'll never leave.

Glad you are enjoying it. The stockyards area is pretty fun and is pretty well patrolled so there usually isn't any real trouble there. For the record, the police in FW are kind of old school. 'They don't fuck around' was a quote I got from a Dallas County Deputy recently on that subject.

Oh and just stay away from the east side generally.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
One year later.....all I can say is I wish I did this 10 years ago. I feel reborn as a person.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Fort Worth is where all the cool kids live.

For real.

Uh-huh.

So ... I should look to Ft Worth instead of Austin.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
69 yo Native Texan from Houston here. Spent most of my life around Houston and visited Dallas frequently. Didn’t really spend any time in FW until 20 yrs ago.

Wow, what a place! Great. Reminds me of what outskirts of Houston used to be. The real Texas! Dallas is stuck up, run by bankers. Houston is hell bent for leather. Anything goes but too big now for me. Intresting though. Want Cuban Chinese food with Icelandic spices? There’s probably a retuarant that has it in Houson. Outstanding arts.

But FW is small enough to be manageable and hasn’t lost the friendly vibe.

But given the choice, if I hadn’t retired to the Hill Country, I’d consider FW.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post