SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia Arms Company in Manassas, VA closing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia Arms Company in Manassas, VA closing Login/Join 
posted
I just read on Facebook that Virginia Arms Company in Manassas, Virginia is closing. I'm sure all of us who live in Northern Virginia have purchased a firearm from this store. I'm shocked. This isn't some small shop run as a hobby. Virginia Arms had a large selection and is no doubt the busiest gun shop north of Richmond. Could guns sales be so bad that the best store in the area goes out of business?

http://www.virginiaarms.com/

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
When I lived in NOVA I remember Clark Bros as the big player. I don’t remember VA Arms but I did leave the area in 91.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!

My buddy an I used to take trips there from Alexandria on a semi-regular basis. It was like the one nice gun store in NoVa for quite a while. Others popped up over the years and I'm sure that combined with the price of real estate up there has made life very hard.

I bought a HK USP .45 Compact from them and my beloved Browning Double Auto Shotgun.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I bought a pistol there. Single action Ruger Blackhawk, in 44 special. Rose wood grips.

Also 100 rounds of ammo. It is one of those Bisley models.

Love it, as it shoots well, but reminds me of my first Blackhawk MANY years ago. Actually, I think it was in 1956-57 time frame. 357 as I recall. Got stupid and sold it.

Sad to see them closing, but not really surprised. Huge selection of arms and accessories. Prices were a little high.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Wow, I’ve bought several guns there through the years.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Prices were a bit high, but they did keep a large selection to handle/fondle. Bernie was always a stand up guy never had an issue with a return or just general advice w/o fear of being ripped off.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a bummer. I lived in Herndon for a couple of years and used to stop in there on Saturdays. Everyone was always knowledgeable and friendly. I bought a few guns from them, they were always well stocked.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the reason for the store closing? I have purchased many firearms from them.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 2000's my office was right down the street from them. I bought many firearms from them during my lunch hour. Moved away from the area quite a while back. I always liked that shop.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
for those w/o FB:

It is with a heart full of gratitude, but heavy with sadness that we announce that we have decided to close Virginia Arms Company.

We would like to thank our fantastic customers for a great 21 years. It has been an honor and a pleasure to serve you. We especially want to thank all of our incredible staff members. Virginia Arms has been a special place because our employees made it special. We will be forever grateful for our incredible staff.

Alas, times change and it is time for new challenges. Please keep an eye here for announcements. In the short term, everything is on sale. Please stop in and take advantage of some discounts.

All new firearms 10% off with select items (Benelli family and Remington bolt action guns at 20% off)

Ammo is 10% off
All accessories are 20% off
Galco products are 50% off
Silencers and SBRs are 40% off

No layaways, special orders or rain checks, all pricing limited to new inventory in stock.

We will not be accepting any new consignment items. We will accept transfers that have already been arranged, but we will not accept new transfer requests.

Thank you for your patronage over the last 21 years!

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I worked in Manassas, VA, about 10 minutes away for almost year in 2012 and 2013 and dropped by about once a month during lunch, neve purchased a firearm, but it was a fine store and well-staffed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped by Virginia Arms this afternoon (Saturday 10/20). Their first public announcement of their closing was Monday, 10/15, but already I would say half the inventory is already gone. Apparently Bernie (the proprietor) was planning to stay open until 1 December, but he said at the rate things are selling, he suspects he will close sooner.

When I asked why they were closing, I was told a number of reasons, but the primary reason is practically all firearm accessories (hosters, ammo, magazines, etc.) are available via mail order for cheap, and they just can't compete with that any more.

I would think Virginia Arms has such a following that they should close the brick and mortar shop and just do business via mail order. I was told to monitor Facebook for any new announcements as to whether they will stay in business via some other method.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Could guns sales be so bad that the best store in the area goes out of business?

In a word, yes.

Here is my view of the world as a 01 FFL myself.

With $299 plus transfer fee ARs, $29.95 stripped lowers, $200-$290 S&W pocket pistols, $450 Walters, and similar guns available from online volume sellers, profit margins are slim for a one-of shop.

We saw this in the wake of Newtown when every gun in the manufacturer-distributor-retail stream was literally purchased along with all of the available ammunition in popular chamberings. This meant that gun shops that relied on a predictable turnover in inventory to generate cash flow were put in the position where they could not survive, the reason being they were not able to restock their shelves in a timely fashion. Given that most occupied rented space, there were bills to be paid but no cash to do so. So a lot of people went under. And if you loose the place listed as the premises address on your FFL, you have 30 days to find an acceptable place and a file for a change of address. If you can't make that window you required to turn your FFL in to BATFE. After that it's a new application with all that a new application entails.

I don't know if this is why Bernie is closing up shop, but I strongly suspect the economics of operating a retail gun shop in Northern Virginia are precisely why he's closing.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopkins gun qnd tackle i. Cold harbor is closing. Degoffs closed earlier this year.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Virginia Arms had good professional employees and a large handgun and tactical selection I think prices probably led to their end. Ammo was much less expensive at Walmart and Dicks. The Dulles gun show or online places like Buds had better firearm prices. But people for a while at least were willing to pay extra for the knowledgeable service. Prices seem to have dropped so low that independent gun stores cannot add in their overhead and be semi-competitive with the online discount sellers and national chains.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to go there next Saturday, a co-worker told me of them maybe two years ago. A small store (it's not Green Top), but lots of items. Helpful staff the one time I went there, got some of the hard for me to find 9mm Gold Dots in 50 round boxes.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I hope to go there next Saturday, a co-worker told me of them maybe two years ago. A small store (it's not Green Top), but lots of items. Helpful staff the one time I went there, got some of the hard for me to find 9mm Gold Dots in 50 round boxes.

I think Green Top really has the right idea. They have tons of stuff to supplement their income if firearm sales drop. They also have a HUGE used selection instead of just a small consignment counter like most shops.

I go there all the time just to check stuff out and I almost always walk out with something, clothes, black rifle coffee, ammo, etc etc etc.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Hopkins gun qnd tackle i. Cold harbor is closing. Degoffs closed earlier this year.

Where did you hear anything about Hopkins closing?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a conversation with a couple of local guys who told me. Looking at their facebook page, it does not seem that they are closing.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked because I know the owner and the last time we spoke, he was talking about attending the Shot Show, which they usually do to order for the coming year.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post