SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering checking a pistol in my luggage...except I have to change planes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering checking a pistol in my luggage...except I have to change planes Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted
What are the odds that the pistol successfully changes planes with me and arrives at the destination?

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The same odds as any of your checked luggage.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your other option is leaving it home.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I believe your bag will receive special handling, even though it's not marked "firearm". However, when I've flown with firearms it was on a nonstop flight.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
The same odds as any of your checked luggage.

So you're saying I should say my goodbyes to it now? Razz

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I believe your bag will receive special handling, even though it's not marked "firearm". However, when I've flown with firearms it was on a nonstop flight.

Same. I've only flown non-stop with firearms. Didn't have any issues those times.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
When I have flown to visit my parents in Texas, the flight always has one layover. I have taken my shotgun and AR there before. The weapons have both made it there each time and each time the TSA failed to latch the case completely closed after their inspection and the only thing holding them closed was the locks. It was a good thing that there wasn't enough space for the guns to fall out or they would have.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Flown dozens of times with a checked pistol. Only once did we not meet at the same time. The pistol actually made the flight I missed.

Not sure of the brand of gun case, but I have a steel cable looped around the metal frame of the bag and secured on the other end in the locked case. Every bag ends up with "TSA INSPECTED" tape on the outside.

I, personally, would not have a problem unless changing planes in a very blue state.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
When I have flown to visit my parents in Texas, the flight always has one layover. I have taken my shotgun and AR there before. The weapons have both made it there each time and each time the TSA failed to latch the case completely closed after their inspection and the only thing holding them closed was the locks. It was a good thing that there wasn't enough space for the guns to fall out or they would have.

Well I know my confidence has just increased. LOL

posted Hide Post
I would add a couple things:

how tight is the connection? If it is not too tight it should be okay. If the connection is tight - like only 40 minutes that could be your problem.

consider chaining the pistol case to the interior of the luggage

lastly - maybe don't take your absolutely favorite gun. I have a couple decent carry guns that I wouldn't cry to bad if they were stolen...

also consider the overall flight plan / route... I have read stories of travelers getting jammed up because they got stuck / rerouted to places like Chicago / New York and the possession of a handgun got them in hot water.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only flown non-stop with handguns and didn't have an issue. I wouldn't worry too much about changing flights. I agree with those who recommend chaining your gun case to your suitcase frame. I do that with a heavy duty cable lock, in addition to the locks on the case itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
also consider the overall flight plan / route... I have read stories of travelers getting jammed up because they got stuck / rerouted to places like Chicago / New York and the possession of a handgun got them in hot water.

Several years ago I had an acquaintance who was flying with his gun and ended up having an unexpected layover in NYC. I can't remember the details of what happened, but he said he was arrested and ended up pleading guilty to a misdemeanor possession charge. I may be overly cautious, but if I had to fly somewhere and there was even a chance I might end up in NYC (or NJ, for that matter) on a layover, expected or not, I'd leave my gun at home.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I fly with checked handguns all the time. The only thing I make sure of is if I'm going to have a connecting flight I don't do it through hubs behind enemy lines.

The last thing I need is a storm or some other flight issue end up requiring me to take possession of luggage overnight.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Flown many times with handgun and never had a direct flight. Never a problem. Just make sure to allow extra time when checking your bag as for some reason about 50% of the time TSA pulled my bag and wanted me to show them my handgun.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It is legal to ship it to yourself in another state for the purpose of your lawful use. See atf website.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
You best choice is always a non-stop flight. This is followed by a flight with stops, but no change of planes. The greatest chance of lost, of any luggage, is always a flight with a change of planes.

The shorter the time between flights increases the chances that your bag won't meet you at your next stop.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I have flown I put the pistol in an old Samsonite hard sided case. This is the last piece of luggage someone would suspect valuables to be in. Due to an unexpected change in planes, my Samsonite was sitting unattended in the Oakland, CA airport for an hour before I got there. Anyone could have walked off with it. This was OAKLAND, a high crime city, and it was left alone.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
What are the odds that the pistol successfully changes planes with me and arrives at the destination?

Do it all the time.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Don't change planes in New York or New Jersey.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
It is legal to ship it to yourself in another state for the purpose of your lawful use. See atf website.

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
ATF Q&A

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
ATF Q&A

What if you're staying at a hotel?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:

ATF Q&A

What if you're staying at a hotel?

I've shipped things in care of "Guest in room xxx". I'm sure the hotel would be happy to hold it at the front desk. Or maybe ship to a local UPS.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post