SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's eating my tree?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's eating my tree? Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
Our small native pecan tree has recently become a snack for some animal. It seems to dine nocturnally.

The strips of bark are uniform in width and length for the most part. The bark is stripped completely around the branch.

Any ideas?

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Probably a damn porcupine.

http://igrow.org/gardens/trees...rel-damage-to-trees/

Measure the toof marks.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
fox squirrels and/or gray squirrels

http://icwdm.org/wildlife/Squirrels/barkstripping.asp

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Fox or grey tree rats.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

You never know.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HqanqqdGbko

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...a squirrel sounds right. They've been pretty active here lately, for some reason.

I kinda like the little tree...

I guess I'll scope it out later this week with the BB gun...or maybe a suppressed .22.

Appreciate the help!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

You never know.

That would be awesome to walk out at night and see!

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It may be nest building time.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hovering beaver.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
A target. Gat you NVGs or night scope, a thermos of coffee, and comfortable chair and standby. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Hovering beaver.
That reminds me of one of my ex-wives.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably squirrel or porcupine. Both the Porkies and squirrels prefer horizontal branches but not 100%. If it's a porky you can make out the chiseling on the wood from their teeth. Any chisel marks from a squirrel will be very small. The shavings you have in your hand make me think squirrels, they do like Pecan bark. Fox squirrels are more likely to bark strip than greys but again that is not a hard and fast rule.

Mice and voles can also bark strip but they do damage close to the ground under cover of snow or dense brush. Rabbits and beaver bark strip but obviously also close to the ground.

There is a remote chance it's birds but in my experience they strip bark to get to bugs, and I haven't seen them go all the way around a branch or stem.

Put a trap out and see what you get. I suggest a live trap so you don't get your or the neighbors pets.

Posts: 590 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Could be an Elephant fly.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Could be an Elephant fly.

Dumbo is the only elephant I know that can fly.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is this happening after dark? Squirrels are crepuscular.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post