SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bottlejack or scissor jacks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottlejack or scissor jacks? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I felt this was different enough from my Tacoma thread (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7900045524) that I thought I should start a new one. I need a jack to put in my Tacoma and possibly a Nissan Armada. What is a quality jack that would have sufficient height for a 4x4 Tacoma and Nissan Armada? I would prefer a bottle jack but am not opposed to a scissor. The main purpose will be for flat tire changes.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I purchased bottle jacks for garage use on my antique. I can lift right at the leaf spring shackles. Easy to get tire off with minimal maneuvering under the car. I simply went with Chinese junk at ace hardware store.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A small hydraulic bottle jack will be more versatile and easier to lift with than a manual scissor jack.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My AAA card is especially light.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go with a bottle jack be sure it's low enough in it's collapsed state for you to stand it up under your jacking points.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
If you go with a bottle jack be sure it's low enough in it's collapsed state for you to stand it up under your jacking points.

With no air in the tire!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stock F150 scissor jack bent when I wasn't on completely dry solid ground. I replaced it with a screw type bottle jack from an F250. The F250 jack is rated for trucks with 10k GVWR so I am good at 7k lbs. Plus, with the screw type jack, I don't have to worry about hydraulic fluid leaking under my back seat.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Craftsman 2-1/4 Ton Floor Jack http://www.acehardware.com/pro...14-8528-fb7a0848a090
i can't speak for the quality these days but i have had mine for 25yrs and it still works great

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replaced it with a screw type bottle jack from an F250.

The mechanical jack also won't leak oil, not only making a mess but becoming useless at the same time.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post