SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3,700-year-old Babylonian tablet rewrites the history of math
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3,700-year-old Babylonian tablet rewrites the history of math Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
This is a fascinating article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sci...history-maths-could/

A 3,700-year-old clay tablet has proven that the Babylonians developed trigonometry 1,500 years before the Greeks and were using a sophisticated method of mathematics which could change how we calculate today.

The tablet, known as Plimpton 332, was discovered in the early 1900s in Southern Iraq by the American archaeologist and diplomat Edgar Banks, who was the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

The true meaning of the tablet has eluded experts until now but new research by the University of New South Wales, Australia, has shown it is the world’s oldest and most accurate trigonometric table, which was probably used by ancient architects to construct temples, palaces and canals.

However unlike today’s trigonometry, Babylonian mathematics used a base 60, or sexagesimal system, rather than the 10 which is used today. Because 60 is far easier to divide by three, experts studying the tablet, found that the calculations are far more accurate.

“Our research reveals that Plimpton 322 describes the shapes of right-angle triangles using a novel kind of trigonometry based on ratios, not angles and circles,” said Dr Daniel Mansfield of the School of Mathematics and Statistics in the UNSW Faculty of Science.

“It is a fascinating mathematical work that demonstrates undoubted genius. The tablet not only contains the world’s oldest trigonometric table; it is also the only completely accurate trigonometric table, because of the very different Babylonian approach to arithmetic and geometry.

“This means it has great relevance for our modern world. Babylonian mathematics may have been out of fashion for more than 3000 years, but it has possible practical applications in surveying, computer graphics and education.

“This is a rare example of the ancient world teaching us something new.”

The Greek astronomer Hipparchus, who lived around 120BC, has long been regarded as the father of trigonometry, with his ‘table of chords’ on a circle considered the oldest trigonometric table.

A trigonometric table allows a user to determine two unknown ratios of a right-angled triangle using just one known ratio. But the tablet is far older than Hipparchus, demonstrating that the Babylonians were already well advanced in complex mathematics far earlier.

The tablet, which is thought to have come from the ancient Sumerian city of Larsa, has been dated to between 1822 and 1762 BC. It is now in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University in New York.

“Plimpton 322 predates Hipparchus by more than 1000 years,” says Dr Wildberger.

“It opens up new possibilities not just for modern mathematics research, but also for mathematics education. With Plimpton 322 we see a simpler, more accurate trigonometry that has clear advantages over our own.

“A treasure-trove of Babylonian tablets exists, but only a fraction of them have been studied yet. The mathematical world is only waking up to the fact that this ancient but very sophisticated mathematical culture has much to teach us.”

The 15 rows on the tablet describe a sequence of 15 right-angle triangles, which are steadily decreasing in inclination.

The left-hand edge of the tablet is broken but the researchers believe there were originally six columns and that the tablet was meant to be completed with 38 rows.

“Plimpton 322 was a powerful tool that could have been used for surveying fields or making architectural calculations to build palaces, temples or step pyramids,” added Dr Mansfield.

The new study is published in Historia Mathematica, the official journal of the International Commission on the History of Mathematics.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. I’ve often wondered what our arithmetic and mathematics would have been like if we’d had 12 fingers rather than 10.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is very interesting. Using a Base 60 system, they would have little or no need for decimal places. They must of done much of their math in their heads, and gotten very good at it, as writing supplies were nearly non existent.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Cool post! I am so glad I don't have to relearn trig in base 60 though. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Learning to count in base 60 would be a chore. We have kids today who can't learn 26 letters of the alphabet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Interesting article. I’ve often wondered what our arithmetic and mathematics would have been like if we’d had 12 fingers rather than 10.

It would have allowed even the most feeble minded man to count to 25.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Learning to count in base 60 would be a chore. We have kids today who can't learn 26 letters of the alphabet.

flashguy

They could, and would, if you made it worth their while.

The publc school system in the US has eroded to such a complete waste that becoming educated occurs if at all in spite of school, not because of it.

It's not a matter of intelligence for the most part but of values, and want to.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's certainly interesting.

Did anyone figure out if there's a connection to 60 minutes to an hour?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I believe so. And 360 degrees in a circle.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of an episode of Hardcore History where Dan Carlin was talking about the Assyrians and other people who occupied the mid-east before the rise of the Persian Empire. Those people had an oral history that is now lost of scores and scores of ancient civilizations we'll never know anything about.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I believe so. And 360 degrees in a circle.

flashguy

I think it may be the other way around, that they had a 60 based number system, because it made it convenient to do chronological and astronomical calculations.

Consider that 365, the number of whole days there are in a year is close to 360, the number of degrees in a circle. It may be that in their calendar there were 360 days in a year. Similarly, with 24, the hours in a day, that number divides evenly into 360.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Storm,

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well arcs and curves would be easier deal with for one.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Count the segments of you fingers for 12

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I read your post I thought, base 60 has been known and ascribed to the ancient world for a long time. 12 base is on the lines of the 60 base systems.

I started looking for a link for you and noticed when I came back that somebody already referred to a clock.

Watches, clocks, sundials and many things in history are not based on fingers and toes systems. Wink Here is a LINK.

I remember in college fiddling with various base systems in calculating things. It was part of the curriculum.

We didn't use base 60 in trig. I guess the real news is proof of how early it was used in trig. It makes sense, though, because base 60 was known to be the basis of their arithmetic.

The Scientific America article linked above tethers the 60 base system back to the Babylonians of 4,000 BC.

It felt weird to calculate in bases. It was like playing a song in 7/8 odd time.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmmm. I've only got eight fingers. The two lumpier ones on the outside are my thumbs.

I agree, however, that we have ten digits.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

Hmmmm. I've only got eight fingers. The two lumpier ones on the outside are my thumbs.

I agree, however, that we have ten digits.

tac

All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs. Cool

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
It would have allowed even the most feeble minded man to count to 25.

Big Grin

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine having to learn your multiplication tables up to 60?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
There are 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post