SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to Nashville advice requested. *12/6 update - Spring Hill won out.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Nashville advice requested. *12/6 update - Spring Hill won out. Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted
My daughter and son in law have decided to get away from the DC area and he’s been approved to relocate from DC to Nashville as of February.

A safe area to raise their children with good schools and a place to comfortably call home is what they’re looking for. Any help from members in the vicinity as far as neighborhoods and trusted real estate agents is much appreciated. I’ll probably end up there at some point so I want it to be nice. Smile

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P210,

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Morgan County!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I won’t even ask why. You haven’t steered anyone wrong here yet.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A lot commute from Murfreesboro and Franklin. Very nice places. Lived in the Boro many years and made the drive myself.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where in Nashville will he work?

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
Where in Nashville will he work?

^This. And check the maps of flood damage from the last couple major floods, both for housing as well as driving routes.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Belle Meade area

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Stay away from Morgan County!

LOL...

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
What area of Nashville will he be working in, and is he willing to commute? There are a ton of great, safe communities all around Middle Tennessee at various price points depending on his specifics and what kind of community they are looking for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Franklin/Cool Springs or out on the west side, Belle Meade or Green Hills if he wants to be a little closer in. Brentwood has pretty good schools, I believe. It's halfway in between Nashville and Franklin.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Email sent with info.

Good luck

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just say no to Antioch....

As others have asked, where in Nashville will he be working and how much of a commute is he willing to deal with?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lord Vaalic,

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Live outside of the city and in the direction you will be going to work. Traffic can be bad. Lots of cool things to do and see and eat. Plenty of recreation opportunities in any direction from Nashville. Some awesome state parks southeast of there. Rivers and Lakes.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
A coworker of mine moved to Nolensville last year. She and her husband really like the area.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
If they’re into hockey, they’ll have to throw out all of their Alex Ovechkin stuff, down to the last jersey and bobblehead. Gold, Navy, and White are the uniform of the day.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind commuting in and around Nashville can be a nightmare. It’s not podunk back roads and few people like many folks seem to think. Pretty much budget an hour to get damn near anything done. The big difference I found in Nashville vs say Balt. Washington is the variability. In the mid Atlantic you know it’s gonna take X + or minus 10 or 15 minutes to get somewhere. Nashville is more like playing roulette.

Be aware of the flood zones and it wouldn’t hurt to build a weather safe room as the area can see quite a bit of severe weather.

As for areas. Belle Meade, Green Hills, Franklin, Mount Juliet are all wonderful areas. Public school system is better outside of Davidson county. Wilson county has good schools. There are several good private schools in the area as well.

Be prepared to converse with people everywhere. The bank, the grocery store, the water company etc. etc. etc. It’s annoying as all get out for those of from the mid Atlantic/North East regions at first but pretty soon you will find it’s kinda nice and you will miss it when you don’t have it. That said be prepared to talk about somebody’s cheerleader daughter before getting your electricity turned on.

College sports are a BIG THING. Hell high school sports are a BIG THING.

Go to a predators game. They are awesome.

Try all the little mom and pop meat and threes etc. lots of little hole in the wall food gems.

Hattie B’s makes killer hot chicken. Princes does as well but you might get shot there. Smile. Pepper fire is good too

Printers Ally isn’t the best place to be on weekend nights.

Publix is the best grocery store....... EVER.

Whether you drink or not take the Jack Daniels tour

Go see the corvette museum.

Go see the Lane motor museum.

Those are just some off the cuff observations.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just say no to Antioch....

Seconded

Also email me if you want me to send you a realtor that we used a couple times and she/they were wonderful.

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
I am in Spring Hill. Just south of Franklin. Great schools due to it being in Williamson County. But Spring Hill is in 2 counties, Williamson and Maury. Maury's schools aren't near as good.

Posts: 764 | Registered: January 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Spring Hill is a really nice area.

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Middle TN is a great place to live and raise a family. I absolutely loved it there. Job made me move away 10+ years ago so I cant advise you on what area to move to but it'll be a great move for you. Sure was for me! Good luck!

Traffic WILL be an issue pretty much anywhere in the area these days.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post