SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just Heard it on KOGO 600am - Minimum Wage Should Be $17.60 (plus full benefits) to Stave off Depression
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Heard it on KOGO 600am - Minimum Wage Should Be $17.60 (plus full benefits) to Stave off Depression Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It makes no difference the dollar amount proposed.

Costs WILL go up and things will settle right back in. Things, costs, and prices as well, are all relative to each other.

Makes no difference if the minimum wage is $1.65 or S$87.50 per hour. Costs will go up and the bottom wage earners will have the same situation as they ALWAYS have.

Those living on a fixed pension or on social security will be absolutely wiped out.

People need to stop selling themselves to (voting for) the highest bidder promising the most.

It's refreshing to see someone who understands how things work in the real world.

Well said.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What establishes the min wage? Wages should consider the cost of living, cost of goods sold, revenue and margins, the type of job (skills required and such), the appeal of the job (whether it attracts many applicants or not), etc.

Applying a universal min wage doesn't seem appropriate. There is no one size fits all.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It makes no difference the dollar amount proposed.

Costs WILL go up and things will settle right back in. Things, costs, and prices as well, are all relative to each other.

Makes no difference if the minimum wage is $1.65 or S$87.50 per hour. Costs will go up and the bottom wage earners will have the same situation as they ALWAYS have.

Those living on a fixed pension or on social security will be absolutely wiped out.

People need to stop selling themselves to (voting for) the highest bidder promising the most.

It's refreshing to see someone who understands how things work in the real world.

Well said.

It goes even farther than that...

Raising minimum without also raising those above minimum by a comparable amount does nothing but raise prices and INCREASE the number of minimum earnings now competing for resources, making it even worse than it was before.

Current minimum has say 15% of the population earning minimum. Raise the minimum, prices on everything go up making the “new” minimum still difficult to live on.

Add in that the wages of those already earning the “new” minimum were not raised and now you have 25-30% of the population (or more?) at minimum wage and competing for the same affordable rent, vehicles, food, etc.

It doesn’t raise anyone out of poverty, it sends more into poverty.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
If they're going to more than double it they're going to need to match the percentage increase in Social Security benefits at least. Otherwise the net decrease makes a bad situation even worse for those on a fixed income.

Yep increase SSI payments by an equal Pct....

Gotta keep them draw checks a comin....

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Even worse for me personally, between the proposed Biden tax plan and the likely $4-5/gal gas, it won’t be worth me working my current job unless they nearly double my pay.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
That additional 1.4 million out of work @ $15/hr from CBO - I wonder if that captures the cascade of business closures as the economy implodes, leading to more unemployment.
When was the last time a government estimate was accurate? We'll be lucky if it's only 3x worse than their estimate.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Which I would argue is exactly the goal. This finishes off the middle class and small business in this country putting virtually everyone but the very wealthy on the government dole and leaving government in complete control of the population. Remember the political filth recently talking about this 'opportunity' to completely restructure society around their wet dreams? This minimum wage push is a huge part of accomplishing that outcome. And what's really disgusting is we have Republicans in Congress already caving to this push. Tell me again who our enemies are...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother is a Federal Worker. (BOP) He made $11,000 more in 2020 vs. 2019 due to mandated OT due to COVID protocols.

Yeah - he has really been impacted.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides all of the previous comments being true, the hidden/unspoken fact is; if your wages go up, you earn more money. You earn more money, you pay more money in state and federal taxes.

It’s a backdoor way to increase government revenue.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something I posted on FB. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your life or future depends on the "Minimum" wage increasing- You're fucked. It's a Starting Point to get you a job, experience and into the real world.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
All this love out there on the left for making it illegal to hire anyone whose work product is worth less than $15/hr to an employer.

For nobody will pay someone more than their work is worth.

Well, I say that. Government can, and often does.

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Which I would argue is exactly the goal. This finishes off the middle class and small business in this country putting virtually everyone but the very wealthy on the government dole and leaving government in complete control of the population. Remember the political filth recently talking about this 'opportunity' to completely restructure society around their wet dreams? This minimum wage push is a huge part of accomplishing that outcome. And what's really disgusting is we have Republicans in Congress already caving to this push. Tell me again who our enemies are...

Bullseye.

The more the gov't "gives" you, either directly or through mandate, the more they own you. A safety net becomes a hammock which becomes a straight jacket. Society becomes a two class society, the ruling class (gov't and their cronies) and the conquered working class.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post