SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good source for Lantus(Insulin)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good source for Lantus(Insulin) Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
My 7yr old cat has developed Type 2 diabetes. Vet recommends new diet with specialty food, and Lantus as treatment. Costco has the 100ml vials listed for about $300. Is there a more affordable vendor? I'll need to look for syringes too.

Not looking forward to jabbing him with a needle...

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ask your vet if a metformin regimen would work if it's type 2.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Ask your vet if a metformin regimen would work if it's type 2.

Jim

If metformin affects the cat like it did me, the cat will need to be no more than a half step away from the cat box at all times. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It had you peeing like a race horse? I thought the treatment is suppose to curb your thirst, and thus frequent urination. Confused

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An extremely common side effect of Metformin is diarrhea. It lasts for about a week.

OP, if Lantus proves too costly, see if the vet will go for NPH insulin. It is longer acting, although not as long as Lantus, but will be much cheaper. I believe it is around $25 a vial if you get it at Walmart. Their Reli-on is made by Novo.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to keep throwing insulins at you but we've had our guy on Vetsulin for a few years...around $55 a bottle.

For syringes I've been ordering online through adwdiabetes.com. They typically run a lot of xx% off specials.

You'll probably want the glucose monitoring kit, too. Amazon has the Alphatrak 2...the test trips are the expensive part of that deal but you'll want to be testing at home while you're doing curves.

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Metformin damages the kidneys in humans--does it do the same in cats?

I use Lantus every night, and it comes to me in 300-unit "pens", which is a very convenient method of application. I didn't know it was also used for Diabetes in cats.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metformin MAY damage kidneys in humans. I'm 15 years on it with no damage yet. Pen needles for syringes are incredibly cheap on Amazon. I would, however, question the humanity of subjecting a kitty to daily injections.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pup is on insulin. My Vet recommended Novolin N. I get it at Wallie World for about $25.00.

My pup has been on it for over a year and is doing well on it.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I'm all for finding alternative ways to deliver the medicine, but not if one of the side effects is diarrhea. I'll be cleaning that up if he doesn't make it to the litter box in time.

Where is that hypospray, Dr. Crusher? Mad

Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
N aka NPH is an intermediate insulin 90min-6hrs or so.
Walmart reli-on brand NPH is inexpensive. Consult vet on dosing as hypoglycemia will more eaily occur with NPH than a basal insulin.

Lantis and it's competitor Levemir are basal 24 hr insulins. Levemir may be cheaper and is a direct replacement for lantus.

Insulin cost has tripled in the last decade.

The cost of Fiasp, my ultra fast acting insulin is ridiculous. $11k for 90days.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post