SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    O2 sensor for heart attack patients?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O2 sensor for heart attack patients? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
When in the hospital, it seems not atypical for hear attach patients to have an O2 sensor attached to a finger tip (and possibly O2 supplied to the patient).

When recovering from the heart attack after leaving the hospital (and off O2 supply), is it useful to have an finger tip O2 sensor? Or sufficient to just monitor BP and HR?

If O2 sensor is advised, any suggestions on make / model?

Thoughts on these two?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A2JC26QA0XFPHT&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Would "two in the exhaust" be considered a good answer? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't they give you the plastic thing to blow into to keep the little ball between the two lines?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Pulse Ox meters are so cheap if you want one buy one.

I have one but can not remember the model. Bought it off Amazon years ago.

Not sure it will give you any info related to a heart attack. I will let someone with a medical degree talk about that.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Didn't they give you the plastic thing to blow into to keep the little ball between the two lines?

Ahh yes, the incentive spirometer.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not being a cardiologist or a heart patient I don't know as there's any particular need in your case but, if you decide you want one, this is the one I acquired after careful study: Zacurate Pro Series 500D Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Silicon Cover, Batteries and Lanyard (Coal Black)

FWIW: The pulse rate it registers agrees w/in 1 PPM of either my Apple Watch or my Omrom blood pressure machine. The oxygen saturation levels it displays agrees with what I generally see when the doctor's office checks me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
yea. the two i listed in the op are abut $25.

patient is taking short walks - gets a little tired and out of breath. not sure if o2 should be monitored or not. monitoring bp and hr; not sure if we should monitor o2 as well.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
konata88, send me your address, I will send you my ReliOn, Worked great for me while having heart issues. Last trip to the doctor gave me a "your heart is back to normal" I haven't used it since.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When I was having pleural effusion (and repeated thoracentesis procedures) that was finally tracked to a. as then undocumented, side effect of my first oral chemo drug for CML, I bought a Contec CMS60C sensor which would record nighttime sleeping levels (24 hours worth of data requiring a windows computer to run the software to view). Worked great.
https://contechealth.com/products/cms60c

The issue and need for an O2 monitor disappeared with a change to my chemo so the unit sits in a box on a shelf.

As there is no free lunch, the replacement drug has its own side effects to deal with. Frown

As an aside, when I was experiencing the lower O2 levels and breathing problems is when I was blessed with email exchanges with Jim Allen.

Heard from a member fairly close to me who is going to borrow and check out my unit to see if it meets his needs. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While treating Acute Myocardial Infarction with oxygen makes sense from a physiologic standpoint, no studies have convincingly demonstrated that oxygen therapy improves outcomes in AMI. In addition, recent data suggest that this practice may even be harmful. Oxygen therapy may decrease cardiac blood flow and perfusion, reduce cardiac output, and increase coronary vascular resistance. If myocardial reperfusion is achieved, oxygen may have a paradoxical effect by inducing reperfusion injury through production of oxygen free radicals.5

Published review of the literature for oxygen therapy in AMI conducted to determine whether this practice is helpful or harmful. It is found that robust evidence to support the use of oxygen to treat AMI was lacking.

Bottom line.... not very useful.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's guys! Wreck - thanks very much for the very kind offer.

I told the patient after my last post that the gadgets seem useful when needed, seem accurate and the zac branded unit was recommended and available at reasonable price. Seems like one is already bought and shipping soon. Wreck - thanks again for the kindness.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Listen to your body, not what the pulse oximeter says. It will more than likely give you warning signs long before the pulse ox can. So yeah, don't waste your money.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
While treating Acute Myocardial Infarction with oxygen makes sense from a physiologic standpoint, no studies have convincingly demonstrated that oxygen therapy improves outcomes in AMI. In addition, recent data suggest that this practice may even be harmful. Oxygen therapy may decrease cardiac blood flow and perfusion, reduce cardiac output, and increase coronary vascular resistance. If myocardial reperfusion is achieved, oxygen may have a paradoxical effect by inducing reperfusion injury through production of oxygen free radicals.5

Published review of the literature for oxygen therapy in AMI conducted to determine whether this practice is helpful or harmful. It is found that robust evidence to support the use of oxygen to treat AMI was lacking.

Bottom line.... not very useful.

Andrew

Yup, there is evidence that slapping O2 on every acute coronary patient who doesn't need it might do more harm than good.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, there is evidence that slapping O2 on every acute coronary patient who doesn't need it might do more harm than good.

^^^^^^^^
Yep. I might add that an exercise and diet regime along with proper medications is the way to go.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This is the one that was recommended to me here and happens to be the same one my Pulmonologist uses. He is an older guy in a very busy office. Good enough for him good enough for me.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Heard from a member fairly close to me who is going to borrow and check out my unit to see if it meets his needs. Smile

Living in a sparsely populated state in flyover country, opportunities to meet forum members are limited. But did today when I had a visit from one to borrow the Contec CMS60C O2 meter to check out. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it was a nice visit!
Thanks for the information exchange and the meter!
Looking forward to visiting again!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
And it was a nice visit!
Thanks for the information exchange and the meter!
Looking forward to visiting again!

Thanks Jim. Didn't want to mention which member without permission. Very glad to have met you! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192